News   Jul 03, 2024
 432     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 296     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

60% wanted a tunnel under Sparks? Good.... Good....

The section over the Portage Bridge and into the Sparks St tunnel would need to be funded by the Feds though. Ontario and Ottawa residents sure as heck won't pay for it, and I can't imagine the optics of Quebec residents paying for infrastructure in Ontario would go over too well politically.

They may want the Quebec government to pitch in 60% (presumably with a combination of the City and the Feds picking up the remaining 40%), but in reality that means that the Quebec government will be covering 80+% of the infrastructure on the Quebec side.

That's good satire in the Beaverton, but I wouldn't count the chickens so soon. As someone who works inside government, I say many of the wheels are falling off, and they aren't going to get screwed on again until people are back in the same building. And that's without the morale and mental health issues.

I'm scratching my head over Shopify. They spent years blowing their horns about the wonderful work environment they built in Ottawa, and how it fosters great things, and now they are going to drop it in favour of WFH. Great, see how it goes with all those smart young things after they've sat in their 500 square foot apartments all day every day for two years engaging in staring contests with their cats.

Is that rendering accurate? LRT through cornfields?
Wait till you see where the Trillium line is getting extended to! The western extension has fewer 'cornfields' than the southern one. At one point, it will literally go down a dirt road.
I appreciate that the system will serve as the backbone of Ottawa's transit system, but I really hope that Ottawa catches up and plans the city better. It's so disheartening to see so many parking lots and so mch low-density development all along the corridor. Granted, CL only opened a year ago.

Hopefully it gets developed intelligently the first time and they don't get stuck with cul-de-sac suburbs around it.

For Torontonians unfamiliar with the NCR, yes, Ottawa established a green belt way back when and it's mostly still green. Of course the suburbs jumped across it. Ottawa has been reasonably successful in getting suburbanites to commute on transit and they need to be kept willing. You can't compare the situation either to Toronto or other millionish Canadian cities, because none is configured the same way. Existing railway lines are all in the wrong place and don't go into the core, so the LRT is being built to play the role of "subway" backbone within the green belt, and of commuter rail without. So it runs past fields, pastures, parkland, bogs, whatever looks green on a satellite map.

Is that good or bad planning? It's a bit like arguing about the Chateau Laurier addition. Reading some Toronto critics talking about that suggests they have no inkling of the city's culture, to the same extent that looking at most of the proposed iterations of the design suggested the architect was in the same condition.

Similar to Brooklyn's subway extensions through empty fields in 1917...
aeLq9ai6NBhieku55wmBH8cOFauSPzAuD1nq42bdzXY.jpg

From link.

One hopes Ottawa has rezoned the neighbourhoods for higher density.

Back