News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 407     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

The original plan was to run at grade as traditional LRT in stage 2 back when they were thinking of stage 1. That's no longer the case, but we're stuck with low floor now, but they can add a 5th module to each vehicle to get a bit more capacity (all underground stations are built with this in mind)

As for seating, look at this tour. It's not like the metro, but different than the Flexities

Because when they bought the first set of vehicles 6 years ago, they wanted the flexibility of running it at grade outside of the core, very much intending it to be like the Crosstown. That idea is now passe, but it's too late now, we're stuck with low floor, compensating by allowing the trains to scale up to 120m by sticking in one additional module per vehicle. The original plan actually had allowances for 150m 3-car long trains.

Most of the cities around the world are or going to go with low-floor light rail vehicles. Which allows for the sale to 3rd world countries of the "previously owned" vehicles.

ttc-alexandria-streetcars-19760131.jpg

From link. Ex-TTC air-electric PCCs operate in Alexandria, Egypt as #310, 311 and 312 on January 31, 1976. This photo is courtesy the John F. Bromley collection.

Most of the cities around the world are or going to go with low-floor light rail vehicles.
Calgary, Edmonton adopt low-floor approach - Railway Age
https://www.railwayage.com/mw/calgary-edmonton-adopt-low-floor-approach/
Apr 5, 2017 -
The two pioneering Canadian LRT cities, Calgary and Edmonton, located in the western province of Alberta, are both planning a major shift in their design and operating philosophies.
[...]

Both cities have recently decided, since low-floor operations can be implemented at significantly lower cost, to pursue this approach on two completely new lines. These will be completely separate operations from the existing high-floor lines, although transfer will be possible. That said, both Calgary Transit and Edmonton Transit have extensions to the existing high-platform routes on the drawing boards, for future construction.

Another advantage of low-floor LRT is that it can be situated on local streets, on reserved track, with less obtrusive stations more acceptable to local residents.
[...]

Last edited:
The original plan was to run at grade as traditional LRT in stage 2 back when they were thinking of stage 1. That's no longer the case, but we're stuck with low floor now, but they can add a 5th module to each vehicle to get a bit more capacity (all underground stations are built with this in mind)

As for seating, look at this tour. It's not like the metro, but different than the Flexities
Thanks for the background. seems better than the Flexities, but still isn't going to have the capacity of Montreal Metro or Toronto subway cars.

It will be interesting to see how the capacity holds up on the central portion. I was always amazed at how many people were using buses through there when I worked in downtown Ottawa. Any numbers on what the peak ridership was on the Transitway?

Thanks for the background. seems better than the Flexities, but still isn't going to have the capacity of Montreal Metro or Toronto subway cars.

It will be interesting to see how the capacity holds up on the central portion. I was always amazed at how many people were using buses through there when I worked in downtown Ottawa. Any numbers on what the peak ridership was on the Transitway?

10000 pphd, which is why the confed line is guaranteed to be at capacity on day 1, because they only bought enough trains to carry the exact peak ridership they already had. However, the design capacity is 24000pphd, so it has room to more than double the existing ridership once more vehicles are on the line and they get down to a two minute frequency

If the bus is currently carrying 10,000 pphd, how much increase do they expect when they switch to LRT?

None at the very start, but shortly after they were aiming to support 12k pphd with 6 additional trains that are due to be added this year. It should also provide much more reliability. The central transitway is frequently thrown into chaos due to regular protests against parliament, accidents, and gridlock.

The point of starting at a 1-1 capacity replacement of the transitway is that it made the project "affordable". But ignoring that the confed line is starting at 10k and has a design capacity of nearly 25k. The transitway was at 10k, and that was with everything they could possibly have done short of building a bus tunnel. There was no more capacity to add to the transitway.

Last edited:
If I read this correctly, The line could be up and running come June, if not late May, but will be open July 1st.

The last 4 stations are to be done in April and depending when the last 6 cars are certified, the line could be turn over to the city come May/June.

Have to take a trip to Ottawa in late April to shoot some videos I forgot to do the last time, as they will be gone on opening day.

There will be no turn over of the Confederation Line to the city until all 34 cars are available. The certification of the remaining 6 cars will go a long way towards determining when the line will open. The line is presently under constant testing.

I am sure the city will let the public know when the 12 day test has begun and when it has been successfully completed. I find it doubtful that the 12 day clock will begin until all 34 cars are certified. Otherwise, there could be false starts, if a single car needs to be taken out of service for maintenance.

My prediction is after Canada Day, but late May is still possible.

There will be no turn over of the Confederation Line to the city until all 34 cars are available. The certification of the remaining 6 cars will go a long way towards determining when the line will open. The line is presently under constant testing.

I am sure the city will let the public know when the 12 day test has begun and when it has been successfully completed. I find it doubtful that the 12 day clock will begin until all 34 cars are certified. Otherwise, there could be false starts, if a single car needs to be taken out of service for maintenance.

My prediction is after Canada Day, but late May is still possible.

The 12 day test is key. If it starts in April, then May is very likely. If the test fails or doesn't start until mid May, then past Canada day is then a possibility.

Canada Day start, with free travel on that day, would be a great opening day celebration and introduction to the service.

Good god no, people are going to be confused enough the first day it opens. You don't need Canada day crowds on top of that. If it hasn't opened before Canada day, then it needs to be at least the day after.

Good god no, people are going to be confused enough the first day it opens. You don't need Canada day crowds on top of that. If it hasn't opened before Canada day, then it needs to be at least the day after.
That is why I said 'after Canada Day', if they are projecting a start up date well into June. Canada Day crowds will really test the Confederation Line's capacity. If it fails to handle the crowds well, it will damage the public confidence in the changes that were just implemented.

Back