News   Jul 15, 2024
 437     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 582     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 569     0 

Original Vitrolite station tiles

The Vitrolite used on the University Line seemed to be of a lesser quality than that of the Yonge Line, and just didn't last nearly as long. They covered it over pretty quickly, maybe within about 10 or 15 years of the line opening.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Why would they do that? Were the original tiles broken like at College?

And the most boneheaded thing at Queen was that they *didn't* use the subway font, even though it was already being in-house repatriated by the mid-90s--instead, some godawful drunken-stupor substitute, as if Barney "I am *so* Krunchy the Clown" Gumble was behind this renovation.

(Though conversely and ironically, I'd argue that the c1980 Eaton's-mural installation and red-blue ceiling criss-crosses was the first step t/w. if not officially "recognizing" the 50s subway aesthetic, at least leaving well enough alone in a creative, economical spirit)

What colour are those panels that are going up? White an black? Seems like an odd choice.

Again, took a little detour from my commute to see the original tiles.

Goode Vitrolite
by Adrian Badaraco, on Flickr

Do you know if those black lines are cracks or just dirt? Trying to determine how upset I should be at the TTC for covering that up with the same ugly paneling from St. Andrew.

Do you know if those black lines are cracks or just dirt? Trying to determine how upset I should be at the TTC for covering that up with the same ugly paneling from St. Andrew.
I think that's the structure for the slats. The tiles further north seem to be in better condition (or at least less dirty). Would love to photograph them when more of the structure comes down, but I don't pass through Osgoode that often.
Based on this photo, it's the same design as St. Andrew.
That's a bit of a disappointment. They could have at least done yellow. They did green for York Mills.

Was standing on the platform at Eglinton yesterday and noticed that one of the names has a testing panel over it. The panel seems to be made of aluminum and had "Eglinton" in subway font. But what really stood out was the non-matching shade of grey between this testing panel and the original tile. Looks like Vitrolite has it's days numbered.

Attachments

• IMG_3662.JPG
    IMG_3662.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 365
  • IMG_3663.JPG
    IMG_3663.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 350
Was standing on the platform at Eglinton yesterday and noticed that one of the names has a testing panel over it. The panel seems to be made of aluminum and had "Eglinton" in subway font. But what really stood out was the non-matching shade of grey between this testing panel and the original tile. Looks like Vitrolite has it's days numbered.

Something similar has been there for several months now. The lettering underneath was cracked.

The minty green College vitrolite was a mistake, imo. I'm glad it was replaced. That and the new Union station renovations (2014) are the only station designs I like more than the originals.

What about Bloor? IIRC the 90s renovation and expansion of its platforms (something more substantial than the mere re-tiling jobs elsewhere--indeed, more comparable to what's presently taking place at Union) was praised even by the likes of Christopher Hume at the time...

Back