News   Aug 14, 2024
 328     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 666     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 2.5K     3 

Original Vitrolite station tiles

Just paid my respects to the College Vitrolite. ;)

There were two people there taking photos of the Vitrolite and some "graffiti" in the dust reading "Love Vitrolite". The tiles are in horrible condition. Huge cracks everywhere.

I'm so confused - is the term "Virolite" common parlence? I've never heard of this term, before this thread, and I definitely feel I'm in a minority. Like my beard isn't thick enough. ;)

I'm so confused - is the term "Virolite" common parlence? I've never heard of this term, before this thread, and I definitely feel I'm in a minority. Like my beard isn't thick enough. ;)

Vitrolite was the tiling used in all stations when our subway system was opened in 1954. the Vitrolite has been covered over by new tiling in all stations except Eglinton. Vitrolite seems to be held in high regard. Unfortunately it is no longer manufactured.

Go on google images to see more examples. It's fantastic stuff when used properly.

It's a coloured glass tile. You can still get Vitrolite, but not in the sizes that were used in the original subway stations. That, and the fact that it was somewhat delicate, is why they either replaced it or covered it over.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I didn't know you could still get them. Maybe it was their original manufacturer that shut down and someone else started production. Is it still branded Vitrolite?

I didn't know you could still get them. Maybe it was their original manufacturer that shut down and someone else started production. Is it still branded Vitrolite?
In the glass industry, it is also known generically as vitreous marble. Vitrolite was a specific product, as were competing products such as Sani Onyx or Carrara Glass.

Glass tiles that you see used for mosaics are a common modern application.

I don't believe that it is still manufactured in Canada or the United States (could be wrong). I do know that as of a few years ago there was still production of a similar product going on in Germany.

Vitrolite would be an excellent alternative to plastic spandrel.

I think it's the other way around these days--because of the physical vulnerability of Vitrolite-type cladding, porcelain enamel is the preferred material whenever something approaching a "classic 50s Toronto subway aesthetic" is called for. As in the renos at St. Andrew and York Mills. (In fact, porcelain enamel was first used by the TTC in 1963 in the Queens Park/St Patrick "tube stations"--but when it came to Bloor-Danforth, they opted for the glazed concrete block first used in Museum/St George instead.)

Agreed, College is probably the best looking of the 'retiled' stations. Dundas' colour on the other hand matches quite well what many of its late night patrons regurgitate.

So much so that former TTC Chair Julian Porter was quoted in the paper as saying he didn't drink the night before he had to go to Dundas Station.

I actually don't mind Dundas either. It's got a bit of a warm two-tone colour, so it's not fully in-your-face with its garish bile-ness as it could be. Ultimately I think Wellesley is one of worst. It's blue, it's cold, and it's befitting of a prison washroom. On the whole I don't mind because it's obviously just a station, and not supposed to be a fancy community hub like we're building them now. But I think the colour at platform level is worsened by the bus bay overtop. Dark, dingy, dirty is all I can say about it.

On the point about Vitrolite. It may not have existed at the time, but we've made some advances in glass/porcelain strength over the years. NE of Peterborough is one of the world's largest nepheline syenite deposits and a mine which is very much active in extracting it. Not all that sure how, but I guess the stuff is used by industries to strengthen their glass products. Had it been incorporated into Vitriolite at the time, perhaps we'd still those tiles in our stations.

Last edited:
Personally I love the colour of Dundas station but I know very people share my feelings there.

As for Wellesley - isn't that station green or am I colour blind?

Dundas was worse originally because they fitted the station with really pink warm white fluorescent lights which altered the colour of the tiles. Changing the lights to the normal white light helped a bit.

Wellesley is green. The original station architecture is overwhelmed by that garage sitting on top of it.

Back