6.7K     7 

Original Vitrolite station tiles

God damn it, why??

Screen shot 2016-02-16 at 5.28.39 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-02-16 at 5.28.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-02-16 at 5.28.39 PM.png
    249.8 KB · Views: 968
It's been like that for at least two years. If I recall correctly, they removed the metal band and column of tiles at these locations. They needed to cover the void. It's an ugly solution.

What is this thing doing here? is it temporary?

24056674273_39a0034e02_b.jpg
Here's a pic from January 15 before the tile cover up was completed. What did they do with the Vitrolite at the top? It's now black. Is that metal panel?mi can't tell from the completed photo.
CbYsJmnW8AAptr9.jpg

Here's a pic from January 15 before the tile cover up was completed. What did they do with the Vitrolite at the top? It's now black. Is that metal panel?mi can't tell from the completed photo.
CbYsJmnW8AAptr9.jpg

I'm pretty sure its just the trim panel. All the original vitrolite stations, as with those on Bloor-Danforth have a main colour and trim colour; and in this case they've chose black trim over white.

It's been like that for at least two years. If I recall correctly, they removed the metal band and column of tiles at these locations. They needed to cover the void. It's an ugly solution.

This is correct. I had a conversation about it w/Andy Byford. Apparently the engineers wanted easier access to the expansion joints in behind the tile there (his words); and didn't
want to have a big process removing tile in the future. These panels were chosen as they can be easily removed by a crew to inspect the underlying area.

It is a very poor match.

On the other hand, the existing tile is ugly too. I am not a defender of the public washroom aesthetic of the B-D stations (or the original vitrolite ones either) I much prefer the better stations
on the Spadina line, particularly St. Clair West, Eglinton West, Glencairn and Downsview which all show much more visual interest, and thoughtful design.

But I digress

Maybe we can wipe the whole load of tile (all styles out) with a revived station modernization program. Though.........if that gets another 'Pape' or 'Dufferin', maybe not.

Now it's King station's turn for the Vitrolite peekaboo, in case anyone's noticed.

Back