News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 988     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 8K     9 

Original Vitrolite station tiles

No, it's a repeat of what we've seen at College and Dundas--that is, exposed briefly while new ad panels are installed.

BTW, my Hamilton house (c.1923) apparently has vitrolite tiles of an earlier 1950s bathroom renovation. They are /exactly/ the same glassy finish as the TTC vitrolite tiles, the same size (large tiles), and the correct era. Zero cracks, no scratches, the tiles are in perfect shape, but the grout is in terrible shape now and for that reason we're not allowed to use the shower in that room until we renovated.

I wasn't aware we had vitrolite tiles in our house, but now I do!

This might change future renovation plans (e.g. regrouting instead of retiling). Does anyone has experience in restoring old vitrolite bathrooms?

Semi-offtopic, I know, but ....vitrolite!

Last edited:
I wonder why for certain stations they are removing the tiles and exposing the vitrolite to install the ad panels, while with other stations they just place the ad panels over the existing tiles

I wonder why for certain stations they are removing the tiles and exposing the vitrolite to install the ad panels, while with other stations they just place the ad panels over the existing tiles

Snugger fit, perhaps--plus, these stations actually *have* tiles atop the Vitrolite, rather than the Vitrolite removed altogether for the tiles.

And in the case of the B-D line (where said ad panels are also being installed), there is no Vitrolite--the 60s glazed concrete blocks are structurally integral, not veneer.

smaller ad space would be my guess, as not everything wants a big ad.

They seem to have underestimated what needed to be covered up. A lot of the new ad frames have an inch or half inch gap on the left and right, exposing tiles underneath or 2x4 wood. Sometimes there's just black gunk from under the old frame. All in all, it looks like a poor installation job. I assume this isn't the TTC but the advertising vendor but the TTC should have stopped the vendor from installing more until they fixed their frames to cover up the gaps properly.

They seem to have underestimated what needed to be covered up. A lot of the new ad frames have an inch or half inch gap on the left and right, exposing tiles underneath or 2x4 wood. Sometimes there's just black gunk from under the old frame. All in all, it looks like a poor installation job. I assume this isn't the TTC but the advertising vendor but the TTC should have stopped the vendor from installing more until they fixed their frames to cover up the gaps properly.

perhaps they are going to caulk the gaps later

do they still make these tiles? id imagine most would need to be replaced by now. maybe they can incorporate them in some sort of half and half decor solution
Not Vitrolite specifically, but something similar is on the market. You can see it at the new platform section at Eglinton Station.

Back