News   Apr 24, 2024
 935     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 613     0 

Orangeville-Brampton Railway (OBRY)

Orangeville today.

Behind the locomotive, you can see work crews removing all traces of the once busy siding for Clorox (Glad). Clorox was once the most important customer for OBRY.

Only three hopper cars in the yard (plus one very old ex-CP ballast car) and three parked hopper cars near Geon in the business park (visible from Broadway/old Highway 9).

IMG_7497.JPG

According to a listserv I follow, today's train from Orangeville to Streetsville carried six cars south (five covered hoppers from Orangeville plus one tank car from Vulsay in Brampton) and returned to Orangeville without any cars in tow. There are only a few cars left in Orangeville, and the yard itself is empty apart from the locomotive and an old ex-CP ballast car.

Next Friday (the 10th) might be the last revenue run.

For those wanting to catch the last train tomorrow (Friday), I have received confirmation that it will leave Orangeville at around 9 AM. There will be a send-off involving the Mayor and Councillors. I have lots of colourful language to describe how I feel about them but I’ll spare the forum.

If the Brampton CN third track goes in, doesn't the option to curve the OBRY onto it and sever the southern portion become more attractive given the need to replace the diamond with an even more expensive one in both money and operational compromises? They could look at a grade separation I guess to retain the CP routing but that would be challenging to put it mildly.
What is the plan to dismember various sections of rail line?

Anyone heard how this will be done? Rumor I heard land owners would be allowed to reclaim the 66' wide swath by XXXX feet if they owned land on both sides of the rail.

What is the plan to dismember various sections of rail line?

Anyone heard how this will be done? Rumor I heard land owners would be allowed to reclaim the 66' wide swath by XXXX feet if they owned land on both sides of the rail.
As far as I know, the Town owns the line (and land) all the way south from Orangeville to wherever it connects in the main line in Mississauga. Only one land owner.

The end of an era.

I hope that the length from Streetsville to Mayfield can still be used for transit of some kind in Peel Region. I would also love for the northern portion to become a branch of a future Bolton GO line, but that's probably a wild dream at this point...

Back