News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 793     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

New (well, new for ONTC) track testing car:

IMG_3926.jpeg

1716748096183.jpeg

My source maintains that they've owned it longer than 2022 but, regardless, they were getting tired of paying (usually) CN to do their track evaluations. It was costing them in the order of half a million each time.

The tech upgrade mentioned in the post is a result of no documentation and the person who had the knowledge (Michael D. Harding apparently) has since passed on.

A little bit of greenwashing there when they use the terms "hybrid diesel-electric engines". No doubt they will be the latest generation of diesel but still, that 'hybrid' combination has been around for 80 years.

If the reference to hybrid was a statement of intent to electrify the Ramore and Temagami subdivisions and to operate ALC-42Es as power, bring it on :D

A little bit of greenwashing there when they use the terms "hybrid diesel-electric engines". No doubt they will be the latest generation of diesel but still, that 'hybrid' combination has been around for 80 years.
Could there be battery packs and regenerative charging from braking? That's what I think when I see "hybrid".

Could there be battery packs and regenerative charging from braking? That's what I think when I see "hybrid".
Hybrid really only means a motor driving the wheels with an on board engine. So, technically, most diesel train engines are hybrids.

Back