Broken Social Scene
Pavement
Band of Horses
Beach House
Timber Timbre
Zeus
The Beauties
Flash Lightnin'

Just wondering if anyone else is going? Who are you looking forward to seeing?

With this week's release of BSS' album, I'm now pretty excited about this show. I've heard a few of the songs live already, but there are a few that I'm wondering about, particularly how they measure up to songs like Almost Crimes and 7/4. Also excited to see Pavement who was a band before my time, but I've recently started listening to them a bit and you can hear just how much they influenced indie rock. Also looking forward to Timber Timbre, Zeus and Beach House. Should be interesting. This is the first Olympic Island show I've been to since the original which had perhaps the greatest concert lineup Toronto has ever seen, so it'll be interesting to see how it compares.

I'm going.....can't wait. I do expect a few surprises on the set list seeing as its a home town show.

Also, BSS is playing 4 concerts this Sunday around the city (Criminal Records, Rotate This, Soundscapes, and Sonic Boom). I dunno about all of them, but I hear that they are allowing 200 people into Sonic Boom for the show (which starts at 8pm).

^ ya home town shows for BSS are always great. The Harbourfront show from last year is easily the best show I've ever been to of any band.

I wish I could make it to one of those in-store shows, but it's mother's day so I'll be out of town.

I got lucky and am going to the shows at Soundscapes and Sonic Boom. I'm really excited for Soundscapes because they can hold only 50 people so thats gonna be really amazing.

By the end of the summer I'll be up to 7 BSS shows

have you beat :p Olympic Island will be 9 for me.
Enjoy the shows. I'd imagine soundscapes willl be rather stripped down due to the space. Post on Monday to let us (or at least me) know how it went.

Mind = blown!!!

Soundscapes was amazing, we were right in the front....Kevin asked everyone to sit, it was very chilled.
Sonic Boom was completely different. Full blast, booty shaking fun.

Possibly the best concert experience I've had.

some pics

from Soundscapes
4593848975_5f8ccd6aff.jpg

4593849205_d9f355c97b.jpg

From Sonic Boom
4594464790_d522f60073.jpg

4594464968_f3e88981b2.jpg

I've always liked Beach House enough, but with their latest release they came out of nearly nowhere with one of the most hauntingly beautiful albums I've heard in a while. Walk in the Park is unbelievable.

Also, on the topic of summer concerts, The Flaming Lips and Spoon are playing together in August. Spoon is my favourite band, and the Lips put on one of the most stunning live shows you'll see. What a pairing!

Also, on the topic of summer concerts, The Flaming Lips and Spoon are playing together in August. Spoon is my favourite band, and the Lips put on one of the most stunning live shows you'll see. What a pairing!

Also add Tokyo Police Club to the concert......one hell of a show

How did those of you who went enjoy the show?

I can't say it was the best BSS set I've seen, but it was still the highlight of the day. Having Feist and Emily there was great and Julie Penner playing violin on multiple songs instead of just Anthems (which I'm surprised they didn't play) was a treat. Saw her rocking out to Pavement after too which was cool. Pavement put on a good show but I realized that I'm not a big fan of the reunion type of show, particularly for a band that I was never into before. Their set was enjoyable but it felt strange investing energy in a band that a year and a half ago said they would never reunite for a show and are now seemingly doing so because the cash is too much to pass up. Maybe because they're not a band I grew up with, I just have trouble relating to them, I don't know.

Unfortunately we didn't get into the Island until just after Zeus got off stage, so I missed the first three acts. Timber Timbre put on a set that would be great to see in a place like Lee's, but for a summertime outdoor concert it didn't match the mood I was feeling. Both Beach House and Band of Horses put on good sets too and I was actually a bit surprised by how many Band of Horses fans there were because they're rather foreign to me. They seemed like an American Trews to me though.

The food was great though. Instead of the typical pizza pizza crap they had local restaurants do the catering and everything was sooo good.

Back