News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

Officer Down (Sgt. Ryan Russell)

similar to the soldier who goes to service in iraq

Not similar at all...soldiers only get a passing mention on the 6 PM news, Cops get 3 full days of coverage, will have a 'hero's' funeral, and get paid much more then the dead soldier.

Police and soldiers are different. Soldiers are for deterring and trained for killing the enemies of the State, usually in foreign lands, and military leaders and the public expect casualties in any operation. Police are different, they're civil servants, putting their lives on the line to protect us, our families and property. If a police officer dies in the pursuit of protecting the Canadian public then I salute him. Sure, perhaps hero is a bit strong, but what is a hero anyway, how do we define it? Is it someone who puts his life in danger in the protection of others.

Again, I don't think you can fairly compare the two. We're in a war, soldiers die, we expect it. Indeed during the First World War, entire towns would lose their young men in the trenches, which led to the changing of regiments being all from one area.

A single police officer moves us differently, same with firefighter deaths, because it's rare, and they're usually killed serving and protecting others in their communities. If a police officer or firefighter enters a burning building and pulls out my child, and then perishes in the effort, I'd certainly consider him a hero. On the other hand, if a Canadian soldier smashes in the front door of a suspected Taliban safehouse, shoots up the place and gets killed, then he's may be honoured by the government he served, but there's not the same connection as those emergencies service providers in the city we live.

i think it has alot to do with distance as well. the closer things happen to home, the more we tend to take them more seriously.

I just wish the plow operator had switched off the ignition when he left the vehicle. If he'd just done that, we wouldn't have this. In Texas you can get 30 days in jail if you leave the keys in your vehicle and it's stolen and used in a crime http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content60944.aspx. Maybe if we had that here people would learn. Earlier this week some idiot left the ignition running and got out of his van with his baby in the back, and went into a convenience store. The van was quickly stolen - thankfully the child (and van) were found safe later.

Whenever I'm having workmen at my house north of Regent Park, not far at all from where the plow was taken, I always tell the guys not to leave their trucks running, and to lock their tools away, lock their vehicle doors and compartments. If they're from the 'burbs or 905 they scoff, but if they're local they know that all it takes is a second for someone to jump in and steal the truck or its contents.

I just wish the plow operator had switched off the ignition when he left the vehicle. If he'd just done that, we wouldn't have this.

They stepped out of the truck for a moment and were standing right beside it, when this nut case came out of no where. It's like saying we wouldn't have this if the officer wasn't standing in front of a moving pickup with snow plow attached.

Right beside it doesn't matter anyway. I always turn off my vehicle when I get out, even if it's just to get something from the trunk and then get back in.

I know it's very early and all the facts are not out yet, but from what we are seeing on the news this is looking more like a case of a crazy guy going on a bender. Reminds me of the Arizona shooter, who will most certainly get off on a mental excuse and sent to an institution, much like the Greyhound chopper Vince Li. In Kachkar's cas, if he is found mentally unfit he'll likely be on the street before the end of the decade.

What's bizarre is literally at 7am Wednesday I walked by Keele and Humberside in the morning snow storm. Looks like I just missed the excitement....

Mind you, had the plow been heading towards me, I would've done the smart thing--get the **** out of the way!

Last edited:
What a waste of useful city resources and time, its just sargent... nothing to go completely overboard with the way the Media has blown it way out of proportion. I wonder who's going to foot the bill for the funeral since the media gave it way too much attention.

I would understand if this was the same situation in Arizona where people got shot and killed by complete nut case like Lougher. Duh, Duh... flags lowered at half-staff and a moment of silence......

Just way too much time and money spent on a regular Sgt., which makes me wonder why don't we have a memorial for every police officer that dies in the line of duty; a moment of silence, acknowledge as a hero..... blah blah blah.
Just plain stupid and I hope this funeral ain't going to cost us tax payers a cent or a dime.

What a waste of useful city resources and time, its just sargent... nothing to go completely overboard with the way the Media has blown it way out of proportion. I wonder who's going to foot the bill for the funeral since the media gave it way too much attention.

I would understand if this was the same situation in Arizona where people got shot and killed by complete nut case like Lougher. Duh, Duh... flags lowered at half-staff and a moment of silence......

Just way too much time and money spent on a regular Sgt., which makes me wonder why don't we have a memorial for every police officer that dies in the line of duty; a moment of silence, acknowledge as a hero..... blah blah blah.
Just plain stupid and I hope this funeral ain't going to cost us tax payers a cent or a dime.

I'd like to steal a snowplow and run you over.

Back