News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

O-Train News

Re: Re: O-Train News: O-Train being killed by feds?

Also, John Baird, of Mike Harris fame, intervened to ensure that the O-Train (which was approved) would not be able to go ahead until after the election.

Another reason why the Conservatives need to be booted out. Fast.

High-tech millionaire wins hot race in Ottawa
Mayoral upset signals shift to the right, puts light-rail extension in jeopardy
ALEX DOBROTA

OTTAWA -- Larry O'Brien, the high-tech magnate known for starting a multimillion-dollar business with only $35, won one of Ottawa's most hotly contested mayoral races last night.

With 98 per cent of the polls reporting, Mr. O'Brien had garnered 47.1 per cent of the votes, defeating former councillor Alex Munter (36.1 per cent) and incumbent mayor Bob Chiarelli(15.7 per cent).

Mr. O'Brien ran a conservative campaign, based on a platform of showing fiscal responsibility and getting tough on crime.

He promised to freeze taxes during his four years in office. He vowed to crack down on panhandlers in the city's downtown core.

And he pledged to review an $880-million light-rail project that had already received approval from the former city council. Pending that review, he said, he would think about nixing the project altogether.

"The people of Ottawa have respectfully voted for a change," Mr. O'Brien said in a speech to his supporters at the Broadway Bar and Grill last night.

"The city is not a business, but they want to see it run like a business."

Mr. Chiarelli conceded defeat last night and shook Mr. O'Brien's hand before Mr. O'Brien addressed his supporters.

"We need to come together and build consensus," Mr. Chiarelli said.

To do that, Mr. O'Brien must persuade the 23-member city council to accept his vision. The mayor has only one vote on council in Ottawa. And the councillors, many of whom have been re-elected, sided with Mr. Chiarelli on several issues, including the signing of the light-rail deal with a consortium lead by Siemens Canada.

With the deadline for the review of the contract and the vote on the 2007 budget looming, achieving a consensus at city hall might prove tricky, one former mayor of Ottawa said.

"The first couple of months are going to be difficult because you have the added pressure of putting together a budget based on promises that are fresh on everyone's mind," said Jim Watson, who served as mayor from 1997 to 2000 and who is now a Liberal MPP and cabinet minister for Ottawa West-Nepean.

Mr. Watson said this was the most interesting race Ottawa has had in decades.

Turnout was just over 50 per cent, an unusually high figure for Ottawa municipal elections, where turnout usually hovers at about 30 per cent.

The high-octane campaign had candidates squaring off in more than 20 public debates across the city over the past months. But the tide started to shift in Mr. O'Brien's favour in the last days of the campaign.

The latest opinion polls released Saturday showed Mr. O'Brien ahead of Mr. Munter by only a few points, and Mr. Chiarelli trailing badly.

Those predictions kept candidates on their toes until the very end. Hours before the polls closed, they were still knocking on doors and calling voters.

Mr. O'Brien's victory delivered a blow to the political career of Mr. Munter, 38, a left-wing councillor and gay-rights advocate who made his debut in municipal politics as a councillor for Kanata at the age of 23.

The result of the vote is likely to end the political career of Mr. Chiarelli, 65, who cut his teeth as an MPP for the Ontario Liberals during the 1990s.

Mr. Chiarelli presided over the amalgamation of Ottawa with its municipalities. But his reputation as a tax crusader suffered from a series of tax increases during his time at the helm.

Taxes rose 2.9, 3.9 and 3.9 per cent respectively in the past three years.

His campaign took a turn for the worse last month, when his $880-million plan to extend and refurbish Ottawa's train line was surprisingly derailed by an old Queen's Park political foe.

Treasury Board President John Baird inserted federal politics into the municipal realm when he decided to delay signing off on $200-million in federal assistance until after yesterday's vote.

Mr. O'Brien took issue with the high cost of the project. He said he was open to cancelling the deal.

Now he will probably need to draw on his boardroom experience to convince councillors.

Mr. O'Brien, 57, started Calian Technologies Ltd. in 1982 and since then, the company has grown to a venture of $200-million in revenue. Mr. O'Brien was named Ottawa's businessman of the year in 1996.

In 2004, he co-chaired Saint Vincent's Hospital's fundraising campaign and helped raise more than $7.5-million.

Earlier this year, he won the United Way community builder of the year award, and is now Calian's chairman of the board of directors.

© Copyright 2006 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=41c0fb9b-45f2-4160-83b6-3e5af0cf2dfb&k=62642
"Let's Build A Subway".

Here is the first part of the article:

After years of debate over Ottawa's prospective light-rail route, city council has come up with a new solution: build a subway.

At a meeting yesterday to determine the city's mass transit future, councillors developed a clear consensus to replace the downtown section of the proposed north-south light-rail line with an underground tunnel.

Support for the plan, which would see a five-kilometre stretch of subway built from roughly Bronson Avenue to east of the University of Ottawa, took off after city bureaucrats said it was "doable" and could cost far less than expected.

While the tunnel path remains unclear, it would follow the approximate above-ground light-rail route intended for downtown, a path that must cross the Rideau Canal.

According to traffic engineers, Ottawa would need a subway anyway in 20 years. Since there's no point in putting the O-Train tracks on the streets of Downtown and then taking them out 20 years later, a subway is the way to go according to O'Brien.

I agree with this plan, but it will be very costly. At least, this subway is being built downtown and not in the middle of nowhere (like the O-Train).

So Ottawa and Vaughan are the future for subways in this province. :lol

Previous estimates pegged the cost of building a transit tunnel under downtown for buses as high as $2 billion, but the city's light-rail leader, Rejean Chartrand, told councillors a tunnel could be built for a quarter of that cost.
Mr. Chartrand said for a simple dual tunnel with four light-rail stations "a ballpark figure is around $500 million."

Wow, 75% off, just like that. This guy could save piles of money everywhere. Snaps his fingers and its suddenly cheap. I wish I had thought of that.

The project is a go! In a close vote, City Council approved the project, but without the downtown section. Dumb! Now another 3 years for an environmental assessment for tunnels, which would add another $500 million or more.

So it's going to be a suburban rail line which does not get near Ottawa's highly concentrated downtown.

A shorter line for $70 million more! Not bad!

I guess it's their version of "less is more."

I guess this is somewhat better than Munter's plan, which would eliminate the downtown segment with no planned tunnel at some point in the future. I'm also pleased that they're keeping the electric vehicles. Still, they're eliminating the most useful segment of the route for a savings of $70 million, less than 10% of the total cost. I'd rather save the $70 million out in Barrhaven.

$2 billion for a tunnel that short is a ridiculous figure. $500 million is much more reasonable.

I'm very nervous about how the new mayor is going to turn out.

^It may not be $2 billion, but the casual statement that the cost of the tunnel will be only $500 million is a little irresponsible. The cost is yet to be determined.

Most of the downtown portion would require tunnelling through solid rock and under the canal.

I'm confused when the media and the city council uses the words Subway and Underground LRT interchangeably. They are not the same thing obviously. I don't think Ottawa will be getting a subway from O'Brien. It is only an O-Train going underground (if the tunnel thing still exists at the moment).

The O-Train is dead.

Quoting David Jeanes:

"Yesterday the provincial and federal governments refused to endorse it in time to close the contract, (i.e. not signing a blank cheque), and so the mayor announced that he will recommend and vote against closing the contract at tomorrow's city council meeting. In addition the province refused to support council's decision that the only future solution for downtown was a transit tunnel."

Though I wonder if "transit advocates" such as Mr. Jeanes played a role in the O-Train fiasco by tinkering and delaying and micro-managing the project to death, and allowing the new federal and municipal govenments to sink it. That is a question, not necessarily my opinion nor anyone else's. Mr. Jeanes also supports Blue22 over a real transit service in the Weston corridor too.

Edit: I found the old Clive Doucet article earlier in this thread (page 2)

clivedoucet.com/articles/...htrail.htm

DELAYING THE LIGHT-RAIL EXPANSION IS
A SHAMEFUL PROPOSAL

Ottawa Citizen, June 14, 2006

It is difficult to contain my outrage with the `delay the north-south construction crowd'. The irresponsibility of such a proposal is shameful. It fails every test of responsible city stewardship. It fails financially. It fails environmentally. It fails the management test.

I think Mr. Jeanes is one of the "delay the north south construction crowd". So much for a transit advocate.

Note the above is clearly my own opinion.

Back