News   May 15, 2024
 807     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 658     0 

Nuit Blanche 2010

Coltaine79

Member Bio
Reaction score
This year will be my first Nuit Blanche. Yay!

I don't have much else to say, so I'll turn it over to you folks to post comments, advice, tips on enjoying it effectively, etc.

Oh, uh... maybe I should try to get some extra sleep on the morning of?

Getting more sleep the morning of might help, but more helpful is to take a nap before you go out. Also, go out late. Like, well after last call. That way you miss the drunk people leaving bars and the crowds start to thin out.

I'm not sure I'll go this year. I have concert tickets that night; maybe I'll see a little afterwards, but last year I just found irritating and unpleasant. Any pieces that sounded interesting I couldn't get anywhere close to, because of crowds of people who obviously couldn't give a shit about art the other 364 days of the year and are just out for a party. The event's a victim of its own success, in a weird way.

My issue is that they usually build everything up to be much greater than it is. Don't oversell these things and let people be surprised by what they see instead. Really, the event is already successful, just let it be and people will enjoy it for what it is.

The only over hyping going on is whatever you plan on doing ... if you take it for what it is, it's great ... it's a fun night out - for the average citizen, most of the events wouldn't be of too much interest but it's still fun from the walking around late / seeing people perspective. For those very much into art it's probably pretty bland. So I can by the argument it isn't really focused on any one group.

But still, if you don't expect much i.e. to be blown away by most (if not any) of the exhibits it's still a fun night out!

Really this year there's been less media attention (isn't it next weekend?) compared to last - so that may be a good or bad thing.

Nuit Blanche transforms the city. The city is well-known for being vibrant and diverse, but for one night, having streets absolutely packed with people in the middle of the night, back lanes and various obscure public spaces turned into vibrant destinations is fantastic. There are always at least a few spectacular works, too.

I am definitely going to go out that night. Nuit Blanche is one of the few nights in Toronto where you can walk around at 3-4am without being worried about getting mugged.

I am definitely going to go out that night. Nuit Blanche is one of the few nights in Toronto where you can walk around at 3-4am without being worried about getting mugged.

You think that you're probably going to be mugged if you walk around Downtown Toronto at night? Everyone I know must, collectively, be the luckiest people ever. But the stats say my experience is fairly typical.

How many people do you know who have been mugged downtown?

Last edited:
i feel safer between 2 - 4 am when Nuit Blanche isn't on. The loud rowdy drunk club kids with nothing better to do at 3 am ruined Nuit Blanche for me last year. Hopefully they will have more police patrolling the areas where the exhibits are.

I'm definitely going -- my first art event in Toronto, so I have no expectations.
Sounds like it will be a chilly (and possibly wet) night, so a thermos of spiked coffee would be nice to bring along.
There is lot of ground to cover, so I'm sure there is something for everyone -- if things get really obnoxious I could always leave, and get some sleep!

Last edited:
Well, first Nuit Blanche post-event post, only because Mrs. Rat and I are too boring for 3am! Planned on seeing RCM, but the line was crazy. Same with the ROM. Monkman's beating heart was 5-10 minutes of fun, the Gardiner was interesting, and Hart House was a bit disappointing. Just walking along Bloor was one of the most fun things to do -- the faces on Holt Renfrew were pretty cool.

Funniest thing was the roving pack of Morris dancers...

Fun night. Not mind-blowing, but OK entertainment.

Back