News   May 21, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 643     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 488     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Hi from lockdown 4.0 currently scheduled to only last 7 days (here's hoping) after we've had 30 cases of the Indian VoC spread in Melbourne. The guy who brought it here had completed hotel quarantine in Adelaide and tested negative over each time he was tested in 14 days and when he got to Melbourne he tested positive a few days later.

Report from SA authorities shows the guy getting it on the day he left quarantine from another positive case who was in a hotel room opposite this guys (yes, aerosol transmission is f*cked).

Anyhow, lockdown was announced yesterday for all of Victoria (as some cases had travelled out of the metro area) at 26 cases, 4 new today - all of them are epidemiologically linked but there have community jumps in the chains - two distinct clusters in the north and south of the city but yeah now a confirmed case from a nightclub a positive case was at.

Biggest benefit to the lockdown has been it's been the wakeup call we've needed for vaccines. AZ has been available to anyone over 50 for a while now but many appeared to be treating it like a restaurant buffet "waiting" for pfizer (which is only available to people in high-risk occupations or environments - like Aged Car or people under 50).

Mass vax centres that have had few people going through them prior to this week are now chockas. And 40-49 year olds can now get pfizer. I'm 39 and a half, I can't believe I'm saying this but I wish I was 40 :).
I was surprised by the initial amount of vaccine hesitancy in Australia. Good thing people got the message!

Good news!

I got my first shot today and my body is so used to have minimal stimuli that I went to a full panic attack with seizures in the vaccination centre because of the crowd/noise. Was not expecting such a big reaction, even if I'm prone to it.

Sorry to hear and hope you are feeling better. Were the staff at centre able to help you?

AoD

Sorry to hear and hope you are feeling better. Were the staff able to help you?

AoD
Yeah, were really kind, they found a doctor who spoke French, then proposed to vaccinate and wait in a locker room instead of the main place to have less stimuli. I even took medication for it before and was still triggered. Will not do well returning to work open spaces that's for sure...

I got my first shot today and my body is so used to have minimal stimuli that I went to a full panic attack with seizures in the vaccination centre because of the crowd/noise. Was not expecting such a big reaction, even if I'm prone to it.

Sorry that happened to you. I suspect you aren't alone.

Many people on the fence seems to be dropping their opposition to getting the vaccine!

I was surprised by the initial amount of vaccine hesitancy in Australia. Good thing people got the message!

Good news!
Since the end of lockdown 2.0 in October last year, life has pretty much been... normal. A couple of incursions here or there and there's been a few short-sharp lockdowns to allow contact tracers to get ahead around the country, but on the whole summer/autumn was normal.

And we all got complacent. Why rush to get vaccinated when for the most part it's contained at the border? There's been a tonne of debate about fortress Australia versus getting real and eventually tolerating more of it (at the moment we still have zero tolerance for community spread - i.e Melbourne lockdown 4.0). But that's all going to change.

The complacency and the "we defeated it [in October]" mentality also flowed upwards to the federal government - they've been blase about updating orders for vaccines as the initial smorgasbord had to change (we pinned our hopes on a locally designed/manufactured vax first before AZ teaming up with the onshore based CSL). They shat themselves when the AZ clot issues flared up and doubled the pfizer doses that are coming, but they're not coming until October this year. And only two weeks ago did they do an order for Moderna - we're getting 5 million doses sometime late this year and 15 million of their booster/variant cocktail they're making now for release next year (so at least the feds have got themselves sorted on that).

Anyhow, the lockdown/super-spreading event we've just had and are now dealing with has kicked everything into overdrive now - people are not giving a shit about the AZ clot issues anymore and 40-49 year olds are getting RNA vaccines.

Since the end of lockdown 2.0 in October last year, life has pretty much been... normal. A couple of incursions here or there and there's been a few short-sharp lockdowns to allow contact tracers to get ahead around the country, but on the whole summer/autumn was normal.

And we all got complacent. Why rush to get vaccinated when for the most part it's contained at the border? There's been a tonne of debate about fortress Australia versus getting real and eventually tolerating more of it (at the moment we still have zero tolerance for community spread - i.e Melbourne lockdown 4.0). But that's all going to change.

The complacency and the "we defeated it [in October]" mentality also flowed upwards to the federal government - they've been blase about updating orders for vaccines as the initial smorgasbord had to change (we pinned our hopes on a locally designed/manufactured vax first before AZ teaming up with the onshore based CSL). They shat themselves when the AZ clot issues flared up and doubled the pfizer doses that are coming, but they're not coming until October this year. And only two weeks ago did they do an order for Moderna - we're getting 5 million doses sometime late this year and 15 million of their booster/variant cocktail they're making now for release next year (so at least the feds have got themselves sorted on that).

Anyhow, the lockdown/super-spreading event we've just had and are now dealing with has kicked everything into overdrive now - people are not giving a shit about the AZ clot issues anymore and 40-49 year olds are getting RNA vaccines.
A bit strange that government was lax about securing vaccines. Even if it is contained at the border, than means Australians can't travel! That's quite an inconvenience.

Ontario is reporting 1,057 cases of #COVID19 and nearly 33,600 tests completed.

Here is the 90 day trend (up to yesterday) from the Ontario site https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data
90days.jpg

Last edited:
Beware of talking about how wonderful any particular country ha done with COVID. There were several commenters here crowing about how India was embarrassing Canada only four months ago. I haven't seen them around much lately.
To quote a silly movie, "Life... finds a way." Viruses are a bona fide life form. Indeed, in many cases, the longer you go without the virus sweeping your country the more certain you are to have a horrific result as the virus has already retooled itself into a much better killing machine to your unexposed population.
Is Vietnam ready to have its borders sealed for the next ten years?

Wow. That took all of six days to come true.

Vietnam finds hybrid of COVID-19 variants first detected in India and U.K.

Vietnam has detected a coronavirus hybrid variant with characteristics from the existing Indian and U.K. variants, the Ministry of Health announced Saturday.
The U.K. variant is believed to be more transmissible than ordinary strains, while the Indian variant is both more transmissible and potentially less susceptible to neutralizing antibodies of the immune system, experts said.
But a new coronavirus variant has recently been detected in Vietnam with characteristics from both the U.K. and the Indian variants. More specifically, it is an Indian variant with mutations that originally belong to the U.K. variant.

Vietnam's latest coronavirus wave since about a month ago has seen 3,595 local Covid-19 cases so far in 33 cities and provinces. Bac Giang still leads the number of coronavirus infections at 1,881, followed by neighbor Bac Ninh at 736.
Long said the coronavirus responsible for the new wave is much more transmissible, especially in the air. Viral cultures in the laboratory revealed that the virus replicated itself very quickly, he added, explaining why there are so many new cases in different locations in a shorter time frame.

A bit strange that government was lax about securing vaccines. Even if it is contained at the border, than means Australians can't travel! That's quite an inconvenience.

I think their original plan was to make (create and manufacture) it locally - that attempt flopped and they had to play catch-up. Honestly though, it is a relatively minor issue compared to their overall ability to control COVID. It saved lives and bought them a lot of time - whereas we literally had to have rapid vaccination to save our bacon, and even then at a much higher death toll.

AoD

Last edited:

Back