News   Jul 26, 2024
 810     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Makes sense given the lesser amount of vaccine hesitancy here.
It’s kind of funny. I think, in a way, the constrained supply is encouraging people to get the vaccine here. Like a limited edition product people line up to purchase right away.

Hi from lockdown 4.0 currently scheduled to only last 7 days (here's hoping) after we've had 30 cases of the Indian VoC spread in Melbourne. The guy who brought it here had completed hotel quarantine in Adelaide and tested negative over each time he was tested in 14 days and when he got to Melbourne he tested positive a few days later.

Report from SA authorities shows the guy getting it on the day he left quarantine from another positive case who was in a hotel room opposite this guys (yes, aerosol transmission is f*cked).

Anyhow, lockdown was announced yesterday for all of Victoria (as some cases had travelled out of the metro area) at 26 cases, 4 new today - all of them are epidemiologically linked but there have community jumps in the chains - two distinct clusters in the north and south of the city but yeah now a confirmed case from a nightclub a positive case was at.

Biggest benefit to the lockdown has been it's been the wakeup call we've needed for vaccines. AZ has been available to anyone over 50 for a while now but many appeared to be treating it like a restaurant buffet "waiting" for pfizer (which is only available to people in high-risk occupations or environments - like Aged Car or people under 50).

Mass vax centres that have had few people going through them prior to this week are now chockas. And 40-49 year olds can now get pfizer. I'm 39 and a half, I can't believe I'm saying this but I wish I was 40 :).

This explains why I cannot book a flight to Melbourne until December despite being an Australian citizen lol.

We’re catching up to the US in another way. I wonder if we could see the Canada-US border open sooner rather than later.

View attachment 323334

I just love how people freaking out over the how "Canada did so poorly vs. the US because we now have a higher infection rate than the US" and conveniently ignored that massive peak in late Dec.

It’s kind of funny. I think, in a way, the constrained supply is encouraging people to get the vaccine here. Like a limited edition product people line up to purchase right away.

I will be a little less charitable in the characterization - it was more like a rush on the lifeboats.

AoD

Report from SA authorities shows the guy getting it on the day he left quarantine from another positive case who was in a hotel room opposite this guys (yes, aerosol transmission is f*cked).
Sounds like they should be cohorting hotel quarantines (ie, start assigning rooms from one end of the corridor to the other).

image.png

From link.

Here is a list of when residents are expected to become eligible for a second dose, according to the province’s timeline released Friday:​
Week of May 31: Individuals aged 80 and over will be able to book their second dose.​
Anyone who received Astrazeneca from March 21 onward will become eligible on May 31 at a 12-week interval from their first dose.​
Week of June 14: Individuals aged 70 and over will be able to book their second dose.​
Week of June 28: Individuals who received their first dose between the weeks of March 8 and April 18 will become eligible. This could include individuals with the highest-risk health conditions and special education workers.​
Week of July 19: Individuals who received their first dose between the weeks of April 19 and May 9 will become eligible. This can include individuals aged 50 and up, as well as individuals with high-risk conditions.​
Week of August 2: Individuals who received their first dose between the weeks of May 10 and May 30 will become eligible. This can include people who cannot work from home, as well as individuals with at-risk health conditions.​
Week of August 9 to 16: Anyone between the ages of 12 and 25 will become eligible to book a second dose.​
Week of August 9: Individuals who received their first dose from the week of May 31 onwards on a “first-in, first out” basis. The government says that dose intervals could be as short as 28 days.​

The real problem with allowing earlier second doses is that one apparently needs to cancel an existing appointment BEFORE knowing if there are any earlier appointments. You can actually end up with a LATER one as your original (cancelled slot may be gone by the time you find out it is actually the earliest date available.

I think it depends on where you are booking (provincial portal vs local health unit portal). I've seen people say there is a "reschedule" option.

The real problem with allowing earlier second doses is that one apparently needs to cancel an existing appointment BEFORE knowing if there are any earlier appointments. You can actually end up with a LATER one as your original (cancelled slot may be gone by the time you find out it is actually the earliest date available.

I got my shot through my Family Health Team; they gave out a form with a prospect second shot date.

They also advised that the date may be moved up, and if it is they will notify everyone.

We just got a text about booking our second shot, but it was from a pharmacy we have never been to. I think it’s a phone number error, because they did address us by name .... the wrong name.

Back