News   Jul 22, 2024
 537     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 456     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 493     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Toronto recorded one new Covid case today. Many early mis-steps were made but congratulations to Ontario’s public health teams for getting us to this point.

The next inning where a sustained phase 3 is going to increase the number of personal contacts will be the next challenge. The fall is going to be a even more challenging than that with an exponential increase in contacts related to increased indoor activity and the new school year. So well done but we need to keep getting better and better at this if we want to avoid another shutdown.

I don't know the man's income from the story; but I think this makes a case again for income-contingent fines.

There would be no value in a fine that left that person unable to make their mortgage/rent; at the same time; if they're swimming cash, $1,000 is piddly.

A base amount, say $500, plus 4% of annual income would sting nicely.

For a median income household that would be $2,900

But if the person made $150,000 last year, it would be $6,500

Yeah I'm quite in favour with income-based percentage fines as well.

Sickkids experts starting to update (backpedal) on their dubious earlier report recommendations on covid and kids.

They are now recommending masks for high school kids. A step forward but still not addressing middle-school. Masks in middle-school and highschool is a no brainer with what little study we have showing no difference in virus loads between kids 10 and up and adults.

The only question should be if elementary kids can or should wear masks? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Sickkids experts starting to update (backpedal) on their dubious earlier report recommendations on covid and kids.

They are now recommending masks for high school kids. A step forward but still not addressing middle-school. Masks in middle-school and highschool is a no brainer with what little study we have showing no difference in virus loads between kids 10 and up and adults.

The only question should be if elementary kids can or should wear masks? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Teachers should require to wear masks, since they are older. Hand sanitizer should be on each student & teacher's desks.

I don't know the man's income from the story; but I think this makes a case again for income-contingent fines.

There would be no value in a fine that left that person unable to make their mortgage/rent; at the same time; if they're swimming cash, $1,000 is piddly.

A base amount, say $500, plus 4% of annual income would sting nicely.

For a median income household that would be $2,900

But if the person made $150,000 last year, it would be $6,500

I could agree with this, but I reckon it would eventually be stricken down as unconstitutional.

It wouldn't be too onerous, really. Any and all judges will give one more time to pay and even reduce fines simply for asking. Don't ask how I know this. ;)

Toronto recorded one new Covid case today. Many early mis-steps were made but congratulations to Ontario’s public health teams for getting us to this point.

A month ago you were deriding the response to the plague. Given this and your comment above, at what point do you find the response became adequate?

I'm curious because you seemed really anxious about it all. I'm glad you feel better in any case.

Today's report recommends sanitizer be available in every classroom.

I remember inkwells in my Grade 5 classroom in the late 1950's. Now its hand sanitizer.
school-desk-chalkboard-inkwell.jpg

From link. At least the hands will be cleaner.

First, today's Covid news; I don't typically report the stats every day, or on consecutive days.

But I'm really pleased to see we are under 100 news cases (89) province-wide today, after a strong day of testing yesterday.

Also please to see Windsor-Essex down to 15. (highest total in the province)

Also, a further decline in hospitalizations, down to 84 province wide (a reduction of 7) and 27 in ICU.

We've still got further to go.

But its really nice to see some material progress.

John Michael McGrath has the above data, and more, with charts/graphs, here:

Also, today Ontario has revised its plan for Cinemas to allow 50 per auditorium, as expected.

This will trigger reopening in the next short while.

Story here:

Last edited:
A non-exhaustive database of "locations where you may have been exposed to COVID-19" is currently being maintained by the federal government based on information from provincial, territorial and international health authorities.

As of July 30, it shows that 34 international flights have landed in Canada with cases of the virus aboard since July 15.

Another six flights from within the country — two from Vancouver and four from Montreal — have landed at Toronto's Pearson International Airport over the past two weeks (which is as far back as the records are ever displayed.)

Back