466     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 504     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

From the Globe:

And the Star:

AoD

Last edited:
This is an odd decision unless they are also denying the Pirates the right to play.

I would have no problem with that, as I see the traveling aspect in MLB restart as more pressing risk to players/team personnel and the public vs the Hub models of the NBA/NHL.

All are equally unnecessary right now, but I digress.

I'm wondering if the teams the Jays will be play was a factor in the State's decision. The Pirates, an NL Central team, will travel to Cincinnati, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City and Minneapolis this year, as well as playing those teams in Pittsburgh. I'd argue that these are not some of the hottest spots for Covid at the moment. The Jays, an AL East team, will make trips to Tampa Bay, Miami and Atlanta, in addition to New York, Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Washington D.C. Notwithstanding all the various travel and isolation protocols teams will be going through, the Jays and their opponents are playing and travelling to/from places that put them more at risk than the Pirates and their opponents.

Baltimore appears to be the next option for the Jays to play their "home" games, although they would not be permitted to use the Orioles' or the visiting team's locker rooms while the Jays are the "home" team. Some sore of makeshift locker room would have to be constructed. No other MLB teams are offering to share their stadium with the Jays.

Baltimore appears to be the next option for the Jays to play their "home" games, although they would not be permitted to use the Orioles' or the visiting team's locker rooms while the Jays are the "home" team. Some sore of makeshift locker room would have to be constructed. No other MLB teams are offering to share their stadium with the Jays.
The Jays could end up having makeshift locker rooms in the concourse and in the parking lot since there are no fans in attendance.

there are pedestrians downtown these days?
Of course there are pedestrians downtown. And there are people that are going from the GO to the TTC and the PATH.

What I'm not sure of is what tunnels there are now after the Union reno and will pedestrians actually cross paths with the players coming from the Royal York.

Of course there are pedestrians downtown. And there are people that are going from the GO to the TTC and the PATH.

What I'm not sure of is what tunnels there are now after the Union reno and will pedestrians actually cross paths with the players coming from the Royal York.

Answer found by investigating today and they aren't all "underground". They have taken over the North-West PATH connection, and half of the York East Teamway. There i a break built in at the entrance to Union Station south of Front Street, with security maintaining it to block off public access briefly as needed to move NHL people through the private passage to/from the teamway. Another break will be at 25 York Street where the NHL will then have private access through that building to SBA, with public access blocked off.

Last edited:
I’m interested in Germany’s covid profile as many of the best practice nations are small populations or islands. Germany is seeing a steady stream of new cases but it’s plateaued.

Our national numbers look like they are climbing again with no plateau after our first wave. Too soon to tell but what is Germany doing to plateau their numbers as we see ours rise again?

COVID-19 vaccine tracker

See link.

Researchers worldwide are working around the clock to find a vaccine against SARS-CoV-2, the virus causing the COVID-19 pandemic. Experts estimate that a fast-tracked vaccine development process could speed a successful candidate to market in approximately 12-18 months – if the process goes smoothly from conception to market availability.

The pandemic has created unprecedented public/private partnerships. Operation Warp Speed (OWS) is a collaboration of several US federal government departments including Health and Human Services and its subagencies, Agriculture, Energy and Veterans Affairs and the private sector. Within OWS, the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) has partnered with more than 18 biopharmaceutical companies to accelerate development of drug and vaccine candidates for COVID-19 (ACTIV). The COVID-19 Prevention Trials Network (COVPN) has also been established, which combines clinical trial networks funded by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID): the HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN), HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN), Infectious Diseases Clinical Research Consortium (IDCRC), and the AIDS Clinical Trials Group.

The US government is choosing three vaccine candidates to fund for Phase 3 trials under Operation Warp Speed: Moderna’s mRNA-1273 in July, The University of Oxford and AstraZeneca’s AZD1222 in August, and Pfizer and BioNTech's BNT162 in September. Members of ACTIV have suggested developing safe controlled human infection models (CHIMs) for human trials could take 1-2 years. A sponsor would need to provide data from placebo-controlled trials indicating their vaccine is at least 50% effective against COVID-19 in order to be authorized for use, according to FDA guidance issued and effective 30 June.

This tracker lists COVID-19 vaccine candidates currently in Phase 1-3 trials, as well as major candidates in pre-clinical stages of development and research. Information will be updated weekly. If you notice an issue with this data or wish to submit an update, please email Focus at news@raps.org.

Back