News   Mar 28, 2024
 252     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 238     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 279     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

The Chinese situation is a disaster in the making. Their suppression methods were heavy-handed and obviously unsustainable, but at the opposite end of the spectrum, the American "live and let die" attitude caused a million deaths. Chinese vaccines are inferior, and relatively few elderly people are vaccinated in the first place. Tens of millions of people might get infected in a short time and it won't be a pretty sight.

The Chinese situation is a disaster in the making. Their suppression methods were heavy-handed and obviously unsustainable, but at the opposite end of the spectrum, the American "live and let die" attitude caused a million deaths. Chinese vaccines are inferior, and relatively few elderly people are vaccinated in the first place. Tens of millions of people might get infected in a short time and it won't be a pretty sight.
China's u-turn on covid is evidence they saw the protests as a genuine threat to the regime. On one hand its almost unbelievable they were that scared, on the other hand their total reversal with zero road map is a disaster waiting to happen.

A LOT of people are going to die.

China's u-turn on covid is evidence they saw the protests as a genuine threat to the regime. On one hand its almost unbelievable they were that scared, on the other hand their total reversal with zero road map is a disaster waiting to happen.

A LOT of people are going to die.
This is definitely in the category of "I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend", but already, COVID is everywhere in China - WeChat ;) chatter is that plenty, if not most people are infected, moreso because Sinovac is so ineffective.

That is very concerning. I guess the one positive is that later variants tend to be less harmful. Hopefully China is able to weather the anticipated increase in cases without overwhelming their health care system. The zero-COVID approach did not make sense, but letting it spread indiscriminately could be just as bad.

This is definitely in the category of "I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend", but already, COVID is everywhere in China - WeChat ;) chatter is that plenty, if not most people are infected, moreso because Sinovac is so ineffective.
I highly doubt that most people are infected already. There's 1.4 billion and covid has been reasonably under control thus far. It does not spread that fast, but I'm sure many people are sick already relative to what it has been. It's a month or two from now where it will be at its worst.

I have not personally heard it is everywhere yet and still have several good friends there but it is definitely getting worse as is inevitable. Everyone being sick in China is something that most people here can hardly comprehend. A city of 5 million isn't even big. The scale and size of Chinese cities and their populations are something else. How a widespread outbreak there would look, is nothing like anything we've seen in the West.

I am now hearing that things are a lot worse. With the rate at which covid spreads, that is no surprise. I would imagine there's still plenty of room for covid to spread even more though.

I am now hearing that things are a lot worse. With the rate at which covid spreads, that is no surprise. I would imagine there's still plenty of room for covid to spread even more though.
That's why I got another COVID-19 booster in November of this year. Along with my high-dosage senior flu shot.

I hear people say to me, "Oh you still wear a mask??" Yep because everyone i know is either sick with COVID or the flu or that awful virus that's going around. My neighbors 9 year old son ended up in the hospital with RSV virus. My local pizza place was closed for a few days, they had a COVID outbreak among the staff. I will keep wearing my mask until this mess calms down.

Agreed. A 2 year old in my family was hospitalized for 5 days with RSV,, everyone I know has had the cold from hell (myself included). My pregnant daughter caught a nasty virus. So my mask stays on.

I am currently feeling awful, chest pain and tightness for almost a week. Going in to the doctor tomorrow to rule things out. Likely just inflammation but always err on the side of caution. I've been careful but not careful enough obviously.

I am currently feeling awful, chest pain and tightness for almost a week. Going in to the doctor tomorrow to rule things out. Likely just inflammation but always err on the side of caution. I've been careful but not careful enough obviously.

Hope you feel better soon. My entire family just caught COVID for the first time (I seem to be the only one holding it back so far - though I am sure I had been infected as well - just a/sub-symptomatic) - everyone is pretty much floored.

AoD

Hope you feel better soon. My entire family just caught COVID for the first time (I seem to be the only one holding it back so far - though I am sure I had been infected as well - just a/sub-symptomatic) - everyone is pretty much floored.

AoD
Our household got it a few weeks ago. 5 shots each for the adults, 3 for our daughter. My wife and I had literally our 5th shot just two weeks before it struck us. Our daughter was the only kid in her class regularly wearing a mask (N95 to boot), but it spread around the school like wildfire and it was inevitable.

Our daughter had it easiest. Nothing more than a runny nose and slight cough for a few days. She tested positive for about four days.

I got it three days after she brought it home. I had a moderate head cold for a few days, and at the worst of it felt about 80% of my normal self. For the first two days, my temperature was slightly elevated, but never got beyond 37.6°C. My first dose (AstraZeneca) made me feel far worse than the disease did. Felt fine after day three, but tested positive for another eight days; so eleven total.

My wife caught it five days after our daughter. It hit her the hardest. Almost one entire day was spent sleeping, with full-on fever. After four days she was back to normal. By day six, she was no longer testing positive. She caught it last and had it worse, but tested clean days before I did. Go figure.

Our household got it a few weeks ago. 5 shots each for the adults, 3 for our daughter. My wife and I had literally our 5th shot just two weeks before it struck us. Our daughter was the only kid in her class regularly wearing a mask (N95 to boot), but it spread around the school like wildfire and it was inevitable.

Our daughter had it easiest. Nothing more than a runny nose and slight cough for a few days. She tested positive for about four days.

I got it three days after she brought it home. I had a moderate head cold for a few days, and at the worst of it felt about 80% of my normal self. For the first two days, my temperature was slightly elevated, but never got beyond 37.6°C. My first dose (AstraZeneca) made me feel far worse than the disease did. Felt fine after day three, but tested positive for another eight days; so eleven total.

My wife caught it five days after our daughter. It hit her the hardest. Almost one entire day was spent sleeping, with full-on fever. After four days she was back to normal. By day six, she was no longer testing positive. She caught it last and had it worse, but tested clean days before I did. Go figure.

I think it hit women harder than men - at least it did in my family. I had a mildly scratchy throat and barely there headache the last few days but even that's gone now. The rest of the family had fever, runny nose and are still coughing/fatigued (then again they are in the 70s).

AoD

Back