News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Living past 30 is only possible on a large scale due to man's intervention.
In Classical Rome, life expectancy was 20-33.

In Early modern England (16th-18th century), it was 33-40.

In 1900, the world average was 45.7.

In 1950, it was 45.7 to 48.

In 2019-2020, it was 72.6 to 73.2.

From link. With COVID-19...
Russia, the US, and Bulgaria had the largest declines in life expectancy when the authors compared real 2020 mortality data with estimated 2020 life expectancy based on 2005-2019 trends. Men experienced the greatest losses with a 2.33-year reduction in Russia, a 2.27-year drop in the US, and a 1.96-year decrease in Bulgaria. Russian women experienced a 2.14-year decline in life expectancy, while US women lost about a year and a half and Bulgarian women lost about a year and one-third.

Last edited:
I think a lot of that is skewed due to massive infant mortality. I bet that the average 20 year old regularly lived into his 40s.
Plato died at 80. Socrates at 71. DaVinci died at 67. Michelangelo was 88. Augustus Caesar was 75.

As long as you didn't live in abject poverty or get a nasty infection, humans could easily live into their 70s and beyond.

In Classical Rome, life expectancy was 20-33.

In Early modern England (16th-18th century, it was 33-40.

In 1900, the world average was 45.7.

In 1950, it was 45.7 to 48.

In 2019-2020, it was 72.6 to 73.2.

From link. With COVID-19...
This is bit misleading. Those are life expectancies at birth, which was indeed quite low in a world with high infant mortality. If you made it to adulthood (or past age 5 even), many people lived into their 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Do not ask yourself if the Ontario government vaccine portal is working this morning for people who want a 4th dose. By the way, did anyone read about the FAO report stating that Ontario's health spending (and all public spending, really) has been among the lowest or the lowest in Canada for years?

Last edited:
Do not ask yourself if the Ontario governmental vaccine portal is working this morning for people who want a 4th dose. By the way, did anyone read about the FAO report stating that Ontario's health spending (and all public spending, really) has been among the lowest or the lowest in Canada for years?

I know a few people who aren't interested in yet another dose.

My parents are 56 and my Grandmother is 86 with health issues (myelodysplasia). Both of them are not interested in getting yet another dose.

My grandmother is tired of schlepping back and forth to vaccine appointments every few months. She also doesn't enjoy getting an additional needle on top of the hundreds of others she gets as part of weekly blood tests and transfusions.

She also has mobility and reactionary concerns leading to my father having to drive her to the vaccine appointments. She's concerned the vaccine may cause a reaction and doesn't want a medical issue driving home.

My parents aren't interested solely for the fact that it takes time out of their day to make these appointments, coordinate them and then actually go.

Getting an appointment isn't easy then you have to rearrange everything yet again.

I am not anti-vaxx but I personally am tired of getting endless doses every few months as well.

No doubt there will be alot of fatigue and likely low uptake for a 4th dose. I can see many people just saying enough is enough and not bothering with a 4th dose.

Unfortunately, for alot of people getting doses every 4 months is a pain in the ass. If they want ongoing vaccination rates to remain high they need to come up with a one and done solution.

Do not ask yourself if the Ontario government vaccine portal is working this morning for people who want a 4th dose. By the way, did anyone read about the FAO report stating that Ontario's health spending (and all public spending, really) has been among the lowest or the lowest in Canada for years?
The current Ontario government looks at spending money on healthcare as an "expense" instead of an "investment" in the health of its citizens.

I know a few people who aren't interested in yet another dose.

My parents are 56 and my Grandmother is 86 with health issues (myelodysplasia). Both of them are not interested in getting yet another dose.

My grandmother is tired of schlepping back and forth to vaccine appointments every few months. She also doesn't enjoy getting an additional needle on top of the hundreds of others she gets as part of weekly blood tests and transfusions.

She also has mobility and reactionary concerns leading to my father having to drive her to the vaccine appointments. She's concerned the vaccine may cause a reaction and doesn't want a medical issue driving home.

My parents aren't interested solely for the fact that it takes time out of their day to make these appointments, coordinate them and then actually go.

Getting an appointment isn't easy then you have to rearrange everything yet again.

I am not anti-vaxx but I personally am tired of getting endless doses every few months as well.

No doubt there will be alot of fatigue and likely low uptake for a 4th dose. I can see many people just saying enough is enough and not bothering with a 4th dose.

Unfortunately, for alot of people getting doses every 4 months is a pain in the ass. If they want ongoing vaccination rates to remain high they need to come up with a one and done solution.

Your parents are my age! Anyway, that reaction is understandable. But self-preservation wins out in the end for many people - the efficacy of the 4th dose to prevent more hospitalizations and deaths in older people is pretty clear. Unfortunately, the messaging about the 3rd dose has been really muddled and people are still saying they are fully vaccinated after only 2 doses, so I get why many are not interested.

I had to go to Shoppers this morning, just after opening, and there were already 4 old ladies using walkers demanding an appointment and arguing with the pharmacist (but they weren't set up yet to take them - nor is Toronto Public Health actually; no appointments were available when I could access the system, so that was a waste of time). In any event, you need to wait 5 months after the 3rd dose in most cases.

I had no problems at all booking a 4th dose appointment for my mum this morning.

Back