News   Jul 26, 2024
 828     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Freedom Convoy protester regrets joining the cult:

A protester who joined the so-called Freedom Convoy, which occupied downtown Ottawa for much of February, says he regrets taking part after he lost $13,000 and his home protesting something he never really "had a stance on."
There's a very good reason why the Freedom Convoy is very much a cult and a scam like Scientology, except more destructive.

Moral of the story:

Critical thinking is a very valuable skill in life.

It’s not like people didn’t point out the issues. Perhaps he should have done his own research.

Freedom Convoy protester regrets joining the cult:

There's a very good reason why the Freedom Convoy is very much a cult and a scam like Scientology, except more destructive.

Moral of the story:

Critical thinking is a very valuable skill in life.

While that last bit is certainly true, there are a few other things in the story I would choose to highlight.....:

1648225877029.png

IF true, I'm quite certain that does not qualify as a legal grounds for eviction.

1648225984405.png

I can understand anger/frustration over this, and a desire to protest; going all the way to Ottawa w/the truckers was a peculiar decision from my perspective, nonetheless, on the first day he was there, he would not have
been doing anything illegal, and would not have been subject to sanctions he subsequently has.....

I see a couple of tipping point mistakes here, one being over-extending himself financially; another being that he stayed w/the protest after the point where it became clear there would be serious consequences for doing so.

1648226175980.png

If this fellow were an organizer, or had otherwise endangered people or damaged property, perhaps the extent of his punishment would seem appropriate. As it stands, if he had good legal representation, I don't believe his punishment would withstand the proportionality rules around punishment.

Yes, its largely self-inflicted, and foolish; something he's now aware of.........

But the loss of a car, $13,000 (his life savings) having his bank account frozen and being booted out of his home seems rather overkill in the scheme of things (though it should be said, it was his choice to spend the money, and the government didn't specifically contribute to his eviction according to his story.)

In the end he's contrite and has regrets as one would expect, I don't see the need to waste further public resources punishing him, he'll end up in a shelter at public expense. That's a waste for everyone.

Last edited:
While that last bit is certainly true, there are a few other things in the story I would choose to highlight.....:

View attachment 387801

IF true, I'm quite certain that does not qualify as a legal grounds for eviction.

View attachment 387803

I can understand anger/frustration over this, and a desire to protest; going all the way to Ottawa w/the truckers was a peculiar decision from my perspective, nonetheless, on the first day he was there, he would not have
been doing anything illegal, and would not have been subject to sanctions he subsequently has.....

I see a couple of tipping point mistakes here, one being over-extending himself financially; another being that he stayed w/the protest after the point where it became clear there would be serious consequences for doing so.

View attachment 387804

If this fellow were an organizer, or had otherwise endangered people or damaged property, perhaps the extent of his punishment would seem appropriate. As it stands, if he had good legal representation, I don't believe his punishment would withstand the proportionality rules around punishment.

Yes, its largely self-inflicted, and foolish; something he's now aware of.........

But the loss of a car, $13,000 (his life savings) having his bank account frozen and being booted out of his home seems rather overkill in the scheme of things (though it should be said, it was his choice to spend the money, and the government didn't specifically contribute to his eviction according to his story.)

In the end he's contrite and has regrets as one would expect, I don't see the need to waste further public resources punishing him, he'll end up in a shelter at public expense. That's a waste for everyone.
He did break the law by bringing gas to the truckers.

Potential is the key word. Something like 14% of the province has had covid so far over two years.
Which makes it seem like the chance of getting it at this point is either slim or inevitable depending on your personal views.

Compare that to Florida where about 80% have had it. I guess we have done a few things right.

Of course, we followed Florida in terms of restricting testing so we don’t really have the numbers. After all, if you don’t count it, it didn’t happen, right?

Compare that to Florida where about 80% have had it. I guess we have done a few things right.

Of course, we followed Florida in terms of restricting testing so we don’t really have the numbers. After all, if you don’t count it, it didn’t happen, right?
But I think we do have a "rough" estimate, as we're using wastewater data to triangulate estimated COVID infections.

Old article below but key quote pasted below:

"In fact, when we use wastewater directly to triangulate case counts, we estimate that we’re at between 20 and 25,000 cases of infections daily."

But I think we do have a "rough" estimate, as we're using wastewater data to triangulate estimated COVID infections.

Old article below but key quote pasted below:

"In fact, when we use wastewater directly to triangulate case counts, we estimate that we’re at between 20 and 25,000 cases of infections daily."
True. But I believe the 14% is based on actual testing. The real number is certainly higher than that.

Today at the grocery store, the mask wearers were vastly out numbered by the maskless.
Isn’t that just people following the revised rules and recommendations? Are we supposed to be shaming people who do?

I’m here in London, UK these past three weeks and I’d say about 10-20% of people on the tube wear masks (I always do) but outside of that almost no one does. Their position here is life goes on, if you’re immune compromised, aged or otherwise at risk that’s on you to protect yourself, greater society is tapping out of the collective fight.

When I return to Canada in April I’ll wear a mask on public transit, but not in shops. My feeling is I’m triple vaccinated and recently recovered from Covid (light cough for a few days, no other symptoms) so life must go on. I trust my immune system, now inoculated and Covid-trained will keep me safe. It’s the clock that’s going to kill me, not covid.

Last edited:
Isn’t that just people following the revised rules and recommendations? Are we supposed to be shaming people who do?

I’m here in London, UK these past three weeks and I’d say about 10-20% of people on the tube wear masks (I always do) but outside of that almost no one does. Their position here is life goes on, if you’re immune compromised, aged or otherwise at risk that’s on you to protect yourself, greater society is tapping out of the collective fight.

When I return to Canada in April I’ll wear a mask on public transit, but not in shops. My feeling is I’m triple vaccinated and recently recovered from Covid (light cough for a few days, no other symptoms) so life must go on. I trust my immune system, now inoculated and Covid-trained will keep me safe. It’s the clock that’s going to kill me, not covid.

I'm triple vaccinated, Covid will probably be mild if i catch it, but i wear a mask to keep vulnerable people safe, and to stop the spread so we do not overwhelm our hospitals, just in case I need one. Even the healthiest people on earth can get hit by a car or fall down a set of stairs or some other accident. Doesn’t matter how good your immune system is.

I'm double vaxxed, and had covid last month on top of it (medium symptoms), so I'm good to go. I still wear a mask when I go into places, but I'm not personally concerned about the virus anymore. The initial fear from 2020 is totally gone, so I find the hysteria in the media about us being in a 6th wave aggravating. My mom is as paranoid as ever though, which drives me crazy.

Back