News   Jun 26, 2024
 95     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

That’s going to be difficult to implement because all of the thousands of tablets and laptops the TDSB sent home with kids have now been returned. They‘re now in a TDSB warehouse awaiting reformatting, resetting and returning to their usual schools. If kids are told to learn from home for two weeks only those with extra home PCs can do it.
A friend works for the TDSB tech dept said they hadn’t done any device prep yet (back on the 17th). But another friend with a child in York Region was told that any students that needed a device were things to go virtual, to get one before the Xmas break.

Frankly, it’s probably these next two weeks will just be filler anyway. An excuse to say kids are being “educated”, but no real responsibility on the government’s part to do so. Some kids will just get an extra two weeks Xmas vacay.

Whatever is happening, CP24 says the official announcement is at 11:00 a.m.

More than likely a return to this time last year with the closure of gyms and personal care services.
Possibly so and, maybe more likely, further restrictions on 'gatherings" and lower indoor capacity limits. I suggest we all wait until 11.01 to speculate more! Monday morning quarterbacks are always annoying but it REALLY would have been far better to have brought in much stricter limits about 10 days ago when it was clear exactly what was happening. Now we are having to dig our way out of a far deeper hole.

1641217703741.png

Frankly, it’s probably these next two weeks will just be filler anyway. An excuse to say kids are being “educated”, but no real responsibility on the government’s part to do so.
Very few students have been well educated during the pandemic. My kids are in first year university, and thanks to Covid they sat no exams in Grade 11 or 12, meaning their first ever exam was in university. They did fine, but a lot of kids will wash out. Also, the number of Ontario Scholars in 2020 dramatically jumped over 2019, suggesting that the teachers were awarding higher than deserved grades. My wife works at a TDSB high school and one former student left a voicemail before Christmas swearing that she was not prepared for first year stem and was failing. My kids’ friends that graduated with 90s in stem are failing introductory first year classes. We have now two cohorts of TDSB graduates that were systematically set up for failure.

Very few students have been well educated during the pandemic. My kids are in first year university, and thanks to Covid they sat no exams in Grade 11 or 12, meaning their first ever exam was in university. They did fine, but a lot of kids will wash out. Also, the number of Ontario Scholars in 2020 dramatically jumped over 2019, suggesting that the teachers were awarding higher than deserved grades. My wife works at a TDSB high school and one former student left a voicemail before Christmas swearing that she was not prepared for first year stem and was failing. My kids’ friends that graduated with 90s in stem are failing introductory first year classes. We have now two cohorts of TDSB graduates that were systematically set up for failure.
One would think Universities would take it all into account, but the pessimist in me thinks they don't want to alter their standards with the hope of catching up later. High Schools can afford to do that, as all the students are having the same experience. But Universities have become so reliant on foreign student income that students coming from countries that have prioritized education over commerce would suddenly be passing in the high 90s and making things problematic.

How does that then make a university look? More enticing to foreign students perhaps, but most are already at their maximum limits for foreign enrolment so they'd gain very little. And then there may be a negative impact of looking like a degree factory to the rest of the world.

It's all f-ed, and I'm thankful my daughter is still almost a decade away from having to deal with that.

Got to listen to bad music and watch the tech guys set up stuff. More interesting than Doug.

Ok.....hold on...............we all know I dislike illogical restrictions............

I like science and evidence.....

But.....rather than revisit that issue writ large, I just have to point out what jumps off the page at me:

1641230223061.png

Then:

1641230253505.png

Huh?

So let me get this right..........you can't dine-in at all; and you can't drink while doing so after 11pm................

Well, that seems intelligent........ (insert eyeroll here)

I may be giving the gov't too much credit here, but I'm assuming the theory is that patios are still permitted...............

But if the risk-profile of said patio dining was low (safe) at 9pm, I see no logic why it becomes unsafe at 11pm.

I'm not the sort to spend my time dining out that hour even outside the pandemic, I've done so probably only a handful of times in 30 years.

I also have yet to buy any booze to-go from a dining establishment.

That said........ this is a restriction unsupported by logic.

Also, why the hell are we restricting take-out sales by time period?

How is there any material difference in safety? (hint, there is none)........

This doesn't just get me irritated at the government, but at many people in society calling for restrictions for which there is no evidence whatsoever in terms of their efficaciousness.

Logic and Science should govern policy, not fear and whimsy.

...and cue the restaurant industry complaining that a lack of indoor dining during the statistically slowest time of year for them (when staffing and sometimes hours of operation are cut dramatically every year), leaving them only with delivery, takeout and outdoor dining is going to "destroy the industry".

I'm tired of the whining.

Back