News   May 29, 2024
 1.1K     6 
News   May 29, 2024
 2.5K     7 
News   May 29, 2024
 562     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Interesting video on how Humber River Regional was designed in the post-SARS period with a potential pandemic in mind.

Really nice to see some foresight creeping into to our designs.

Now if only we had enough hospital beds for an ordinary day.

A third case of coronavirus has been confirmed in Ontario. The patient is in London, Ont.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sunnybrook-coronavirus-patient-1.5447251

The Trump administration is initiating military-style quarantines for hundreds of US citizens and barring entry into the US of anyone who may be travelling from China or visited China in the last month. All fights from China will be funneled to 7 airports: Kennedy, O'Hare, SFO, LAX, Honolulu, SeaTac, Atlanta for travellers to undergo a mandatory two week quarantine.

The last time the U.S. quarantined citizens to prevent the potential spread of disease was in the 1960s over smallpox.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/31/white-house-to-hold-briefing-on-coronavirus-friday-afternoon.html

Last edited:
These overreactions and exaggerations are getting to be a bit much.

Wow, did the communication age ever change humanity into a mass of blithering, paranoid and paradoxically ignorant* fools. Present company exc....never mind. ?

*-This part is the most galling. We had less anti-vaxxers/flat Earthers/other assorted morons when we had less access to less information. That's a bad comment on the psychology of mankind, let me tell ya what.

Good on usa and Australia for taking actual action while our govts focus on hosting news conferences about potential racism.

Good on usa and Australia for taking actual action while our govts focus on hosting news conferences about potential racism.

Huh?

Seriously?

What is it that you think 'we' are not doing? We have airport screening; we have a minimal number of cases, but any person who may be infected is being tested, treated and isolated.

We are not showing any mass spread at this point; we've had zero fatalities.

In fact the first patient here has just been discharged home.

Public health is following up where there is any risk of spread.

What we are doing is responsible, reasonable and effective.

You, on the other hand seem to advocate paranoia, heavy-handedness, and abuse of rights with frivolous abandon.

*shakes head*

Not your best moment.

Huh?

Seriously?

What is it that you think 'we' are not doing? We have airport screening; we have a minimal number of cases, but any person who may be infected is being tested, treated and isolated.

We are not showing any mass spread at this point; we've had zero fatalities.

In fact the first patient here has just been discharged home.

Public health is following up where there is any risk of spread.

What we are doing is responsible, reasonable and effective.

You, on the other hand seem to advocate paranoia, heavy-handedness, and abuse of rights with frivolous abandon.

*shakes head*

Not your best moment.

It's just so silly.

No one is going to stop being racist because of some politicians saying dont be.

A lot of people are going to avoid asian majority areas and we all know people who are doing this currently.

As a result We should focus on preventing more cases then virtue signaling.

Last edited:
How is Banning travel from another country an abuse of rights?

Your post didn't specify that that action was what you were talking about.

The post to which you were replying spoke of military-imposed quarantine, including on U.S. nationals.

In respect of a travel ban...., what you're really talking about is a ban on people who have traveled to/from China, even if they arrive from a third-party country, even if there is no indication of symptoms or disease.

That is arguably less an abuse of 'rights' vs quarantine; but is every bit as paranoid at this stage. There is no evidence supporting measures that extreme at this time.

Your post didn't specify that that action was what you were talking about.

The post to which you were replying spoke of military-imposed quarantine, including on U.S. nationals.

In respect of a travel ban...., what you're really talking about is a ban on people who have traveled to/from China, even if they arrive from a third-party country, even if there is no indication of symptoms or disease.

That is arguably less an abuse of 'rights' vs quarantine; but is every bit as paranoid at this stage. There is no evidence supporting measures that extreme at this time.

I dont see how making people to put their life on hold for 14 days is an abuse of rights for the greater good.

The disease is spreading rapidly in china so the chance of infected people coming to canada increases.

I am sure we can handle it but as we seen with sars...all it takes is one slip up and it can spread a lot.

(Unsure during sats the Scarborough hospital messed up and exposed sars to many people)

This is a very serious situation and we don’t know how the virus will evolve as it spreads; however, addressing the racism associated with the problem is not virtue signaling. There are strong control measures that need to be addressed and there are public awareness, social cohesion, and education components to address.

By comparison about 300 Canadians die of the flu every month. So since the Wuhan corona virus outbreak has been in the news maybe 600 Canadians have died of the flu versus zero from wuhan corona. Since the majority of flu victims are of European decent (not to mention antivaxers) how many people are avoiding places of congregation or travel targeting this group?

This is a very serious situation and we don’t know how the virus will evolve as it spreads; however, addressing the racism associated with the problem is not virtue signaling. There are strong control measures that need to be addressed and there are public awareness, social cohesion, and education components to address.

By comparison about 300 Canadians die of the flu every month. So since the Wuhan corona virus outbreak has been in the news maybe 600 Canadians have died of the flu versus zero from wuhan corona. Since the majority of flu victims are of European decent (not to mention antivaxers) how many people are avoiding places of congregation or travel targeting this group?
There is no racism. It's just an attempt by the virtue signalers to criticize ordinary Canadians. All Canadians are evil if they have any ancestry from Europe and we should either send them back or just impose the death penalty. Except for Trudeau of course, because when he wears blackface, it was intended as a way of respecting the black, but if I wash my hands and a Chinese person sees me, then I have committed a mortal sin.
BTW, Most of the shoppers who visit Chinese markets are Chinese. So I suppose there might be some Chinese on Chinese racism.

There is no racism. It's just an attempt by the virtue signalers to criticize ordinary Canadians. All Canadians are evil if they have any ancestry from Europe and we should either send them back or just impose the death penalty. Except for Trudeau of course, because when he wears blackface, it was intended as a way of respecting the black, but if I wash my hands and a Chinese person sees me, then I have committed a mortal sin.
BTW, Most of the shoppers who visit Chinese markets are Chinese. So I suppose there might be some Chinese on Chinese racism.

No racism eh:

“We don’t have bat soups!”
Zhengyu Fang, manager of a small Chinese noodle restaurant in Markham, didn’t know what else he could say in response to a barrage of prank calls that were intended to link his business to the coronavirus, a contagious, pneumonia-causing illness that first emerged from Wuhan, China.

And WTF are "ordinary Canadians", in a city like Greater Toronto? And really, "impose the death penalty"? You can say these sort of things with a straight face?

AoD

Last edited:
Geez. Someone like you would go on and on about “victimhood culture” and then go and post this with a straight face.

Back