News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.9K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 636     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

ICU dropped by 13 today down to 202.

So we should, hopefully be below 200 tomorrow.

Yep - and it's a given with high rent.

AoD
It's not just the rent. It's the incredibly small margins the restaurant industry imposes on itself. Here in North America especially, we race to the bottom of prices. Food/Variable/Fixed costs are almost split evenly in the price of a dish here, all to make an average 6% profit (when a profit is actually made; not a given). It's engrained in our culture to believe restaurant prepared food should be as cheap as possible. Guess which of that costing gets cut first? This is why despite a great number of people with culinary training, restaurants are having an extremely hard time finding people right now. Even pre-pandemic it was becoming a problem. Culinary school + experience for just above minimum wage, maxing out at maybe $17/hr after a few years, even at high end restos. Even then, restaurants depend on tips to keep employees loyal. A lot of people are now saying it's not worth it—check out the Food & Wine Industry Navigator page on Facebook if you wanna see hundreds of posts of "why can't I find anyone?".

If we were more accepting of things costing a bit more, and restaurants weren't so cutthroat about it, it wouldn't be so hard pressed to squeeze out every last cent. They might even make more money, as Australia has some living wage laws, but also higher average restaurant profit margin (8%) and a higher per-capita number of restaurants in places like Sydney, etc.

But I digress.

Regarding seating, it's gonna be pretty dense seating until you break the $250/pp level, then they start giving you a bit of leg room. So yeah, I wouldn't trust most to do anything safely for a while.

I got 2nd dose Tue evening. Was flu-ish Wed and Thu but feeling much better today.

Apparently there's a 67oz challenge at Real Sports down on York St.

Can I point out though that often with these kind of challenges, they aren't picking the best cut. They have to keep some in the walk-in in case anyone wants to do the challenge, but not something that's going to be a big cost loss if it doesn't sell. You'll be lucky if you get an AA steak. Which means lots of gristle, little intramuscular fat and chewy, chewy, chewy. Good luck though.

For the $75 it costs (I assume that number's probably gone up post-pandemic), you could get something far more satisfying from Barberian's.

Last edited:

Apparently there's a 67oz challenge at Real Sports down on York St.

Can I point out though that often with these kind of challenges, they aren't picking the best cut. They have to keep some in the walk-in in case anyone wants to do the challenge, but not something that's going to be a big cost loss if it doesn't sell. You'll be lucky if you get an AA steak. Which means lots of gristle, little intramuscular fat and chewy, chewy, chewy. Good luck though.

Originally I wanted to get a 96 Oz Steak Ala "The Great Outdoors" but I figured that would be gluttony.

Sadly no. I was hoping to gain those Magneto-like powers.

AoD
That's why they don't vaccinate kids under 12.
1A9243C7-A9B6-44DA-B8BF-15310F6B99CE.jpeg

Back