News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 570     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

It makes me wonder how Australia managed to implement stringent and harsh penalties for violations yet we sort of half-a*s it and don’t even have the balls to enforce what we have.

Plenty of jurisdictions around the world outperformed Australia; which has the rather large advantage of being an island nation; without such harsh measures.

I'm not sure why Australia is talked about w/such admiration here.

If some were to look at a highly comparable jurisdiction, NZ, I would argue had a much better outcome, at a much less cost.

It makes me wonder how Australia managed to implement stringent and harsh penalties for violations yet we sort of half-a*s it and don’t even have the balls to enforce what we have.
They were successful with their first lockdown and didn’t f-up their reopening. My family in Perth are living their best life. When they had to do a circuit breaker lockdown (something Ontario talked about but never did), they were accepting because it worked the first time and afforded them a lot of freedom we never got.

They were successful with their first lockdown and didn’t f-up their reopening. My family in Perth are living their best life. When they had to do a circuit breaker lockdown (something Ontario talked about but never did), they were accepting because it worked the first time and afforded them a lot of freedom we never got.

Our circuit breaker lockdown is just to get transmission rate to a half-assed level, not total eradication in the community like they were doing it in Oz - and we didn't even manage to get the level as low as back in last June -September. If we hadn't lifted the December lockdown so soon we might had a chance of having a longer "lull" period like last summer.

Also we didn't managed to stamp out the variants - so instead of dealing with the original strain, we are looking at the new and more virulent strains making up more and more of the new infections *slow clap*.

AoD

Last edited:

From the above link:

1617127460150.png

Schools are a breeding ground for Covid. Dougie is threatening another lockdown if cases don't drop. All that's going to do punish small business owners, who are following the rules while schools and large gatherings in big box walmart type stores are allowed to stay open.

Every essential worker, who works in a factory, warehouse, food plant, construction, retail, hospitality, needs to get the vaccine ASP, long before the work from home folks get it.

Those same workers also need proper sick day coverage so they don’t have to come into work sick because they can’t afford to lose a day’s pay.

Oh absolutely! And Remember about a year ago the big grocery store chains like Walmart and Loblaws were giving workers a "pandemic pay"? That was nothing but a PR stunt. That pandemic pay was scrapped a few months later, even though the pandemic was far from over. These essential workers are risking their lives to keep us safe, fed and healthy. They cannot be left out.

Maybe the ones that have seen the US and UK numbers, as well as other locations, take them as cautionary tales rather than shining examples. Where in the States did they lock down all winter?

Perhaps, like the flu, elimination may not be achievable, but reducing lethality and serious health impacts should be. The age of hospital admissions is dropping.

One factor is how quickly Covid evolves and how effective the current vaccines are against them. Currently there are, what, 3 or 4 variants. There are currently about 200 Influenza A variants.

Last edited:

Back