News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 555     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

The missus trekked down to Sunnybrook yesterday for a vaccination clinic intended for staff and 'essential caregiver partners' (she is one for her dad at the Vet's Centre). Very well organized, folks ready with their registration forms, appointments, etc., until people, mostly elderly, just started showing up. It wasn't advertised. The staff was unwilling to turn people away, but it was weird and completely messed up the process. I don't know if social media played a part, or people are cruising the streets of Toronto hunting for clinics. Her second dose date is July.

As of yesterday, by birthdate I am now registered locally. No idea when it will happen. Small victories.

The missus trekked down to Sunnybrook yesterday for a vaccination clinic intended for staff and 'essential caregiver partners' (she is one for her dad at the Vet's Centre). Very well organized, folks ready with their registration forms, appointments, etc., until people, mostly elderly, just started showing up. It wasn't advertised. The staff was unwilling to turn people away, but it was weird and completely messed up the process. I don't know if social media played a part, or people are cruising the streets of Toronto hunting for clinics. Her second dose date is July.

As of yesterday, by birthdate I am now registered locally. No idea when it will happen. Small victories.
I got my first shot a few days ago. Funny his such a simple thing can mean so much.

Apparently the province is thinking of loosing restrictions despite cases topping out at 2100 yesterday. Personally I would rather reinstate the stay at home order and tighten things down if cases remain above 2000. Sorry Dr. Kurji.

https://www.680news.com/2021/03/26/...ons-more-outdoor-activities-for-toronto-peel/

At the very least, bring Durham, York, Halton, and Hamilton back into the grey.

I doubt another "stay-at-home" order will help much at this time - it'll do nothing for outbreaks at places like Amazon. We needed better workplace controls, testing, and inspections, along with paid sick days.

At the very least, bring Durham, York, Halton, and Hamilton back into the grey.

I doubt another "stay-at-home" order will help much at this time - it'll do nothing for outbreaks at places like Amazon. We needed better workplace controls, testing, and inspections, along with paid sick days.

A Stay at Home order may work but it would need to be stricter than before. Make it province wide but keep everyone but EVERYONE at home if they are not essential workers or going to an essential business like food, medical or pharmaceutical. Have the local police forces and the OPP patrol the roads to ensure compliance.

Close the big box stores for anything but essential items and if they cannot comply close them altogether for the duration of the order.

We need to get case numbers back into the double digits in order to bring things back under control.

The last stay at home order was nothing more than a glorified PR stunt.

A Stay at Home order may work but it would need to be stricter than before. Make it province wide but keep everyone but EVERYONE at home if they are not essential workers or going to an essential business like food, medical or pharmaceutical. Have the local police forces and the OPP patrol the roads to ensure compliance.

Close the big box stores for anything but essential items and if they cannot comply close them altogether for the duration of the order.

We need to get case numbers back into the double digits in order to bring things back under control.

Because no one will listen anymore. There is a limit that people have to the tolerance of this sort of thing, and we are reaching that limit. Another lockdown will probably not be enforceable. At some point, we need to have a discussion about whether lockdowns can continue or if we need to weigh other parts of society more heavily.

Because no one will listen anymore. There is a limit that people have to the tolerance of this sort of thing, and we are reaching that limit. Another lockdown will probably not be enforceable. At some point, we need to have a discussion about whether lockdowns can continue or if we need to weigh other parts of society more heavily.

By no means am I anti-lockdown or anti anything but you are right. No doubt there is pandemic fatigue and the population at large is likely tired of the restrictions. It is human nature but eventually people are going to start ignoring the restrictions.

The last stay at home order *did* help. A lot. We just ended it too quickly, and we didn’t do more for large workplaces.

There is no eventually about it. People are ignoring the restrictions.
Rather than just repeating lockdowns, we need more targeted measures to stop the spread. As Dr Tam pointed out this morning, numbers of cases amongst our older population are decreasing, in all likelihood thanks to vaccines. Cases are happening in warehouse type settings and in schools, so how about we focus on those? The government has consistently poo-poo'd the idea of sick days, so people come to work sick because they have to pay the bills. They have also denied that school are an issue, but this week I saw somewhere that schools are now accounting for 25% of cases.

I took my mom to get her first shot on Monday at one of those local mass vaccination sites. It was very poorly organized, inefficient, and just a general shit show. I was so annoyed and frustrated by the experience. I suppose my expectations were far too high for any of Thug's or city hall's initiatives.

By no means am I anti-lockdown or anti anything but you are right. No doubt there is pandemic fatigue and the population at large is likely tired of the restrictions. It is human nature but eventually people are going to start ignoring the restrictions.

We by and large never brought the force of law into it - fatigue or no fatigue, we just muddled through. Nevermind the pandemic - can you imagine winning wars with this kind of attitude (I guess thank heavens the Second World War didn't happen in our times eh?)

AoD

There is no eventually about it. People are ignoring the restrictions.
Rather than just repeating lockdowns, we need more targeted measures to stop the spread. As Dr Tam pointed out this morning, numbers of cases amongst our older population are decreasing, in all likelihood thanks to vaccines. Cases are happening in warehouse type settings and in schools, so how about we focus on those? The government has consistently poo-poo'd the idea of sick days, so people come to work sick because they have to pay the bills. They have also denied that school are an issue, but this week I saw somewhere that schools are now accounting for 25% of cases.

Except the new strains seems to be more serious to even younger folks than the original one. Given the level of vaccination in the elderly - we shall see if the death rate among younger cohorts starts creeping up as the number of cases climbs again. That would be a tell.

AoD

Agreed, that's why I think we need to start paying attention to cases where they are happening. A study out of Philadelphia also showed a blood disorder biomarker in children who have had COVID. They don't have the disorder, but they do have the biomarker so they might be fine now, but what will their future be? People are concerned about using their children as "guinea pigs" for vaccine trials while at the same time they are willing to expose them to the disease without knowing long term impacts.

I took my mom to get her first shot on Monday at one of those local mass vaccination sites. It was very poorly organized, inefficient, and just a general shit show. I was so annoyed and frustrated by the experience. I suppose my expectations were far too high for any of Thug's or city hall's initiatives.

My parents get their shots on April 1. they are residence of Wellington County, so they just booked through the Wellington-Dufferin- Guelph Public Heath site No line ups required, just pick your location, date and time. It's like making dinner reservations, so easy.

Back