News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Daily number of new cases exceeded 400,000 for the first time:

Capto_Capture 2020-10-16_09-01-17_PM.png

Source: worldometers.info

A friend of mine in the UK is suffering from what doctors say is " long covid" He got covid back in April and recovered, but still to this day he has long term health issues from it. He gets these relapses from time to time, so the doctors made him take all kinds of tests, and still the doctors have no idea how to treat his issues. He was a healthy fit man in his early 30s.

So I'm going to be able to go to the pub in 2 weeks, maybe 1............ yippeeeeee! And hairdressers open tomorrow........ no more iso mullet!

Lockdowns suck, but jeeze they work. 2 cases today, 1 yesterday. Still getting mysteries but at least the significantly beefed up and now-decentralised contact tracing system will work at this level (it's now accepted here in AU that once you're above 50 cases a day, contact tracing becomes useless, no matter how many people you throw at the solution).

The new rules that come into effect at midnight tonight AU time and then in two weeks: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10...rules-victoria-melbourne-dan-andrews/12779464

I wonder what happens if we can't find a viable vaccine.
It'll happen. The amount of money being poured into this globally is unprecedented.
Just like how we have a flu vaccine, oh wait isn't that the one that averages 30% effectiveness and requires a new one every year due to how rapidly the flu changes?

Just like how we have a flu vaccine, oh wait isn't that the one that averages 30% effectiveness and requires a new one every year due to how rapidly the flu changes?

The flu has never caused a worldwide shutdown.

I wouldn’t downplay the importance of an annual 30% effective vaccine. That would still represent an effective weapon in this fight.

Remember we are already well past the point of containment globally. Any hard fought relief from the pandemic locally is only a temporary win. The long-term goal is for as many people to get this as possible and some even more than once, hopefully mostly through a safe and effective vaccine. At the same time systemic improvements and therapeutics reduce severe outcomes and deaths.

Maybe a poorly effective vaccine could still provide a cohort of people with annual immunity while partially protection or reducing the severity of cases or reduce the mortality rate in others. Big win.

Back