News   Jul 15, 2024
 109     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 321     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Florida's situation is not stabilizing, at least not yet.

View attachment 257542

They aren't even dealing with a delayed peak like in NY - and the latest wave hasn't even arrived, nor has the wave in daily new cases even crested yet. They should expect to host the grim reaper for awhile.

Stupidity cost lives. Who'd knew?

AoD

They aren't even dealing with a delayed peak like in NY - and the latest wave hasn't even arrived, nor has the wave in daily new cases even crested yet. They should expect to host the grim reaper for awhile.

Stupidity cost lives. Who'd knew?

AoD

Which sucks really. Trump is killing off his key demographic while allowing the younger generation to vote democrat.

They aren't even dealing with a delayed peak like in NY - and the latest wave haven't even arrived, nor has the wave in daily new cases even crested yet. They should expect to host the grim reaper for awhile.

AoD

This is both a factual and morbid statement.

Yet for reasons unknown, it triggered the most inappropriate and amusing thought (to me) in my head. It was that last turn-of-phrase........I suddenly imagined Alvin as Vincent Price doing his 'speech' from Michael Jackson's Thriller.

Darkness falls across the land

The midnight hour is close at hand

Creatures crawl in search of blood

To terrorize y’all’s neighborhood

Hope that doesn't offend.........it just popped into my head.

Which sucks really. Trump is killing off his key demographic while allowing the younger generation to vote democrat.

Trump isn't killing anyone nor allowing anyone to vote any which way. People are free to choose how to vote of whether to vote at all.

Yet for reasons unknown, it triggered the most inappropriate and amusing thought (to me) in my head. It was that last turn-of-phrase........I suddenly imagined Alvin as Vincent Price doing his 'speech' from Michael Jackson's Thriller.

I am thinking of the painting The Triumph of Death by Bruegel.

AoD

I am thinking of the painting The Triumph of Death by Bruegel.

AoD

Now if you're going to do that; you need to do it as a Before/After contrast.

Miami pre-Trump:

1594856401347.png

From: https://matadornetwork.com/destinations/north-america/united-states/miami/

Miami: After Trump:

1594856467215.png

From: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...he_Elder-_The_Triumph_of_Death_-_detail_4.JPG

Unless the "demographic" mailed in their ballots already. Oh, wait a minute. Didn't Trump also mailed in his ballot, and now he wants in invalidate the mail-in ballots?

I will say the 12 to 1300 seem like a really shity time.

Crazy Mongol invasions and then disease killing 50% of the population

I just read through the text of Wednesday’s interview with Dr. de Villa. You would swear it was a piece from the Onion. So many different words to say as answer to ever question: we would like to claim no expertise in anything, absolve ourselves of all responsibility for whatever happens, and abdicate any need for leadership or decision-making on our part.

I also (obviously) loved his opening monologue to every episode of The Hilarious House Of Frightenstein.

Well I think you forget that small business owners are human beings as well lol...

Also this is not a simple Act of God this is a once in a hundred year event.

So your logic is to give everyone CERB but under your plan based on your previous posts which to just close eveything forever is to ensure there's no jobs for them to return to.

My point is though that a lot of these businesses would survive if they're allowed to open but they should not open due to a public health risk.
A lot of businesses are doing quite well that have reopened though fast food and such. Like my fiance is a manager at a takeout restaurant for Mexican food and their business is actually up from before covid-19.

So that's why I'm saying if that if we are going to keep them closed till 2021 in the pursuit of Public Safety I think it's more than fair that they get a bailout of some kind.

Or else they should be allowed to open.

I agree. Either allow them to open with restrictions or pay them. Thry are essentially being banned from doing business. The government should look after them if that’s the case.

Yes cause over time everyone can open but they can't.

It can either interest free loans or what have you.

Ofc I mean for small business owners not chains.

Like imagine how badly affected the city would be if all the bars and clubs shut down long term

Yes cause over time everyone can open but they can't.

It can either interest free loans or what have you.

Ofc I mean for small business owners not chains.

Like imagine how badly affected the city would be if all the bars and clubs shut down long term

As Alvin already noted, the employees (including owner btw, since they are also employees typically) are being paid through CERB. You don't need 2 layers of support. If you pay the business directly, non-viable companies lays off employees (who then are vulnerable) and uses the government incentive to prop up that non-viable business temporarily. There is very little reason why government should be taking on the business risk unless it's a strategically important asset (resources, transportation, food production). Supporting the employees directly ensures that ALL EMPLOYEES impacted get support, whether the business is viable or not.

Small business owners can't survive because they have large fixed cost (rent). Everything else is mainly variable and they should have already cut or minimized. If you were to argue for business support, any incentive to businesses should deal with reduction or waivers of rents so the government doesn't take the business/financial risk. Right now, in the supply chain, the landlords haven't woken up to reality that a lot of their tenants just aren't viable and won't pay. To me, they're the ones who should bear that business risk as that is their business - ensuring their units are rented out to a business that is a going concern.

If all the bars/clubs shut down long term, LANDLORDS would have a serious issue with their cashflow for mortgages. They would reduce their rents to a more reasonable level such that small business owners would return with a more viable and resilient business. If the landlords can't afford their mortgages, then the lenders will own it, and since there is no loan after enforcing on the security, they should be able to charge lower rents (as their acquisition cost now should provide a sufficient return on capital).

As Alvin already noted, the employees (including owner btw, since they are also employees typically) are being paid through CERB. You don't need 2 layers of support. If you pay the business directly, non-viable companies lays off employees (who then are vulnerable) and uses the government incentive to prop up that non-viable business temporarily. There is very little reason why government should be taking on the business risk unless it's a strategically important asset (resources, transportation, food production). Supporting the employees directly ensures that ALL EMPLOYEES impacted get support, whether the business is viable or not.

Small business owners can't survive because they have large fixed cost (rent). Everything else is mainly variable and they should have already cut or minimized. If you were to argue for business support, any incentive to businesses should deal with reduction or waivers of rents so the government doesn't take the business/financial risk. Right now, in the supply chain, the landlords haven't woken up to reality that a lot of their tenants just aren't viable and won't pay. To me, they're the ones who should bear that business risk as that is their business - ensuring their units are rented out to a business that is a going concern.

If all the bars/clubs shut down long term, LANDLORDS would have a serious issue with their cashflow for mortgages. They would reduce their rents to a more reasonable level such that small business owners would return with a more viable and resilient business. If the landlords can't afford their mortgages, then the lenders will own it, and since there is no loan after enforcing on the security, they should be able to charge lower rents (as their acquisition cost now should provide a sufficient return on capital).

Not only that, but bars and restaurants (nevermind clubs) are some of the most ephemeral businesses around - the estimate is what, 60% of new restaurants fail within the first three years even in normal times. Bailing these types of discretionary businesses out beyond what CERB, wage subsidy and rental assistance offers is bad policy. At this point, the goal should always be to support people - not to create continuity where there is none to be had. Government can't freeze time and prevent the inevitable from happening - it is probably better off saving the energy for the recovery phase for this sector when COVID had been dealt with.

Also, keep in mind that artificially propping up the businesses short-circuit the needed rental adjustment - again, government ended up shouldering the risk when it shouldn't be doing so - and property owners no doubt salivate at that opportunity.

AoD

Last edited:

Back