News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.2K     0 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 720     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

They're all working under the same guidelines. My appt is for Saturday, and they told me they will call on Friday to review the protocols. I heard of one place that has doubled their price.

My guy went up $2 - I can live with that. Didn't ask the missus if she had any increase.

My guy went up $2 - I can live with that. Didn't ask the missus if she had any increase.
Mine is adding $5 as a surcharge, which is fine, it's always been a bit more expensive a place because it's in the PATH. They will give me a free mask though as a part of that. The only protocol really is "show up on time" because they are carefully staging appointments so only three are inside at once and, obviously, no walk-ins means they can't replace lost revenue from late-shows or no-shows.

Yeah as of now my wedding is limited to 40 people and i deferred my reception to April as I hope a 2nd wave will be gone by then.

About why people wont take a sacrifice ...

Dont want to sound like a boomer and i am third of an age of one, but as someone who looks at history, we as a society are very individualistic and very soft. We have not faced many real hardships such as wars that killed 100s of thousands of our people or great disasters that destroyed parts of our nation.

Like there has been a disease that has killed 500k worldwide and my personal focus is trying to get married this year (oof). Like that is selfish but to me I have not lived in a world where the idea you have to put life on hold for 12-18 months for such an event.

For the record, the standard "boomer" that grew up in North America did not have to live through a major world war or famine either. The generational circumstances are of course still different from today.

But ultimately it comes down to discipline and making decisions based on what's best for yourself and people involved. I've known people who have postponed weddings due to non pandemic related reasons before, and they've lived through it.

At the end of the day, no one on this forum is going to tell you when to have your wedding. So enjoy the process, have patience, don't rush it, and do what you feel is best.

Last edited:
With regard to leadership and jurisdictional responsibility take testing. My understanding is that infectious disease expertise, laboratories, and research is predominantly a Federal responsibility. I’m no expert so maybe I’m mistaken.

From this the Feds stated Canada should be doing 60,000 tests a day to function normally. I assume this number came from their expertise. Even if testing is a provincial responsibility the Federal executive should still be making sure we hit this metric. If they don’t (and they are not) it‘s an abdication of leadership. Otherwise what is the point of the Federal Health expertise or for that matter Federal leadership at all?

How does a Federal leader get the testing metric reached even though it’s a provincial government responsibility?Through the art of leadership. Canada it seems has no Federal leadership of note.

P.S. If you look at Canada’s testing it’s still not up to speed or ready for a potential second wave or ready to deal with a higher caseload with a greater level of opening. Funny enough Ontario is now doing much of the heavy lifting on some days doing 50-60% of all the testing in Canada.

If you think testing is currently sufficient think about in September if kids go back to school as people go back to work. Anyone with kids knows there is a tsunami of (non-COVID) disease transmission in the fall. We are going to have to go back to test rationing because how can you tell who is spreading COVID and who is just spreading regularly circulating respiratory viruses?

With regard to leadership and jurisdictional responsibility take testing. My understanding is that infectious disease expertise, laboratories, and research is predominantly a Federal responsibility. I’m no expert so maybe I’m mistaken.

From this the Feds stated Canada should be doing 60,000 tests a day to function normally. I assume this number came from their expertise. Even if testing is a provincial responsibility the Federal executive should still be making sure we hit this metric. If they don’t (and they are not) it‘s an abdication of leadership. Otherwise what is the point of the Federal Health expertise or for that matter Federal leadership at all?

How does a Federal leader get the testing metric reached even though it’s a provincial government responsibility?Through the art of leadership. Canada it seems has no Federal leadership of note.

P.S. If you look at Canada’s testing it’s still not up to speed or ready for a potential second wave or ready to deal with a higher caseload with a greater level of opening. Funny enough Ontario is now doing much of the heavy lifting on some days doing 50-60% of all the testing in Canada.

If you think testing is currently sufficient think about in September if kids go back to school as people go back to work. Anyone with kids knows there is a tsunami of (non-COVID) disease transmission in the fall. We are going to have to go back to test rationing because how can you tell who is spreading COVID and who is just spreading regularly circulating respiratory viruses?

Uh no, initial tests done locally at the VERY early stage (think January/February in Ontario) had to be validated at the National Microbiological Lab in Winnipeg because there was uncertainty over accuracy - it's not, and hadn't been the case for a long time (unless one thinks that sending tens of thousands of samples to Winnipeg represents the best way to achieve quick turnaround). We have PHO labs for a reason - and it's a network of labs we have across the country, not a top down thing owned by the Feds that they can just dictate by fiat. And just how would the Federal executive ensure a province is up to par, when the province itself doesn't even do that with their own labs? Who do these labs answer to? Not the Feds. Who does the hospitals report to? Not the Feds. Testing stations? Not the Feds. Dumping the responsibility to the most distant level of government with the least amount of familiarity on the ground (nevermind not having jurisdiction over) is just insane. BC had an exemplary response; Ontario and Quebec doesn't - why is that? It's a failure of provincial leadership.

And if you are arguing our testing still isn't up to speed, what do you say of the provincial decisions to reopen then?

AoD

Last edited:
On the eve of stage 2, after having practically everything delivered for the past three months, I went to the Rexall at Holt Renfrew Centre. On the way through Manulife Centre and back, I noticed about half the people didn't wear a mask, or wore it under their nose. People just aren't getting the message, or they don't care, and it is infuriating. On the other hand, the message has been totally incoherent; public health authorities recommend masks while insisting on their dangers: you can infect yourself after touching a contaminated mask (even though everyone says contact with surfaces is a much less efficient vector than droplets), they are risky if you have breathing problems or have trouble removing them, some people might not be able to afford them, many are not stylish enough (I might have invented this last one). Fine, continue dithering and broadcasting mixed messages. I'll continue to work at home, shop only online and cut my own hair, and let those waffling twits deal with what's coming inevitably.

The only way it works if the govt forces people to wear masks.

I sort of agree with Hobbs about humans rather then Rosseau XD

Alvin, sorry you misunderstand my post. I was not conveying a belief that the Federal government was responsible for routine testing, I was talking about who had the nation’s expertise on infectious disease at the higher order. Why formulate a national testing goal at the Federal Level, communicate it to the public at the Federal Level, then not follow through to meet that metric? The feedback seems to be how? How is leadership.

Most people when they get a job just do what they are told doing the minimum within the boundaries of their function. Leadership is about creating a strategic direction or vision, taking the responsibility to see that vision through, and implementing the actions required.

Alvin, sorry you misunderstand my post. I was not conveying a belief that the Federal government was responsible for routine testing, I was talking about who had the nation’s expertise on infectious disease at the higher order. Why formulate a national testing goal at the Federal Level, communicate it to the public at the Federal Level, then not follow through to meet that metric? The feedback seems to be how? How is leadership.

Most people when they get a job just do what they are told doing the minimum within the boundaries of their function. Leadership is about creating a strategic direction or vision, taking the responsibility to see that vision through, and implementing the actions required.

You are assuming that your job allows the flexibility and the freedom to do these things - a decentralized system with multiple competing interest is the last place I would expect that. Know where we should be - and communicating that as a national goal - is very, very different from having the authority and flexibility to go in and create this capacity (or dictate that it be created). Now if you want to go forward and ask whether we should develop that capacity independent of the provinces - sure, that's a conversation to be had, but it isn't what we have right now. Leadership alone can't turn water into fishes and loaves. If any plan requires spectacular leadership to work, it's clear that it would be a plan that will not be resilient when it relies so heavily on the exceptional. What we need is mundane competence where every cog is well-oiled - and we didn't have that.

Your initial premise of "My understanding is that infectious disease expertise, laboratories, and research is predominantly a Federal responsibility. I’m no expert so maybe I’m mistaken. " is not accurate. I mean look at the PHAC Response Plan:

It's diffuse - always F/P/T (Federal, Provincial, Territorial).

AoD

Last edited:

Meanwhile, talking about absence of leadership now at the Municipal level.

So after 100+ days Toronto is in dialogue about emulating a program but only because Chicago and New York, two of the worst response regions in one of the world’s worst performing countries, already have successful programs implemented. High Fives all around!

From the file of the many knock-on effects of the pandemic, our daughter lives near a decent sized city and is working with a contractor to have a deck built on their home. He said the best he can project is September because the lumber yards are low on pressure treated lumber. Between the mills being down and everybody at home doing or having done home reno projects, the supply has been depleted. I drove by a couple of our local yards today - the piles at one looked decent but the other looked very sparse. It seems lumber is the new TP.

Back