741     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 311     0 

Noisy Trucks

ash_p

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi,

I just moved into a new condo on the Esplanade....38 The Esplanade. Does anybody know if there is some kind of a law against trucks making deliveries/garbage pick ups in residential areas before certain times? There is an alley behind our building that services the restaurants along our street, the Spaghetti Factory, Bier Market etc....there are trucks in that alley at all hours of the night making SUCH a racket. It's constant. There was a series of trucks last night doing god knows what at 3am this morning! There has to be some kind of a bylaw against this no? It's madness.

:confused:

Prohibitions by time & place:
4. Loading, unloading, delivering, packing, unpacking, or otherwise handling any containers, products or materials.

Prohibited period of time
Residential Area: B(3)
B(3) 11:00 p.m. one day to 7:00 a.m. the next day, 9:00 a.m. Sundays and statutory holidays.

Quiet Zone: B(4)
B(4) 7:00 p.m. one day to 7:00 a.m. the next day, and all day Sunday and statutory holidays.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/2003/law0111.pdf

Unless the man says he is helping a friend move or moving stuff out of his own house.

thank you for the responses. Hmmm...how do i go about finding out what type of "zone" my area is?

Could these be trucks picking up garbage? Garbage trucks (City and private) pick up garbage throughout the night. In one place I lived my 2nd bedroom & living room overlooked the laneway behind Crews/Tango & what was then Gatsby's Restaurant (now George's Place) and in the middle of the night I'd hear hundreds of bottles being dumped into the back of a garbage truck plus the noise of the hydraulic lift etc.

In 2003 I lived on (and faced) Wood Street and there were probably two dozen garbage bins hauled out and lining the street from the offices, apartments & restaurants on Carlton Street plus bins from the Courtyard Marriott hotel and City Park apartments three days a week. Various trucks would do pick up's during the night and early in the morning waking everyone who faced the street. I had to move when my lease was up.

Yeah, those are garbage trucks you're hearing. Do they "beep-beep" when backing up? Also, you'll hear those nasty but essential sidewalk cleaners and in the winter, snow melters and plows.

Garbage trucks are there to stay! Are you?!

Yes, the sidewalk sweepers! I get them here where I live every night from spring through fall. They are a necessary evil though.

:D
Does that mean that the "residential area" noise prohibitions apply, or that the area is exempt from them? If the latter, then that would be good to know before buying a condo!

That was gonna be my next question!! Ugh! So it looks like I am gonna have to live with it! Oooh this is not good, I didn't even think about that when I bought the place!

Ugh....it's really doin' my head in! Will have to get ear plugs I suppose because I love my place!

Ugh....it's really doin' my head in! Will have to get ear plugs I suppose because I love my place!

I rent a condo at 18 Yonge facing east, and for the past few weeks, for much of the entire night, they've been doing construction on the railway tracks and making infernal beeping noises. Anyway, I find it helps to turn up the ventilation fan in my bedroom to make a "white noise" that drowns out the construction noise. If you don't have this, then you could also consider buying a white noise machine.

If you are the owner, I wonder if doing something like this would be a consideration:
http://www.soundproofwindows.com/product_overview.html
I have never seriously looked into the effectiveness or cost of soundproofing windows, but would be curious to hear from anyone that has...

Some downtown condos built in the 80's & early 90's have solariums that essentially create a double buffer from outside noise in areas prone to late night hubbub. Unfortunately most of the condos built in the last 20 years have such small bedrooms that adding even a 3' solarium (which could be used as a small office or computer room) in front of the window would leave next to no space to functionally use as a bedroom. The link above seems to be an excellent solution though.

i have one of those solarium add-ons...helps, but i don't even use it...music is key. put on a playlist before bed and snooze away to some tunes.

Back