773     2 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.8K     0 

Nice Downtown Shots

The shots:
imgp1627iad2.jpg

imgp1629iid2.jpg

Very impressive!

Ronald: Good skyline pix! I noticed Maple Leaf Gardens in the shot-what is it going to be used for and is it in danger in any way? Let me suggest a minor league hockey team-if Philadelphia can do it with the Phantoms and Flyers playing next door to one another Toronto can surely do it to supplement the Leafs-perhaps one of their minor league clubs. LI MIKE

LI Mike,

It's being converted into an oversized grocery store. When the building was sold, one of the conditions of it's purchase is that it couldn't in any way compete with the Air Canada Centre. So that means no hockey, no concerts etc.

Those two shots are certainly going to change in the next few years with Bay Adelaide, Trump, Shangri-La etc.

Cassius: WHAT? I like the idea that Maple Leaf Gardens is being saved-for a grocery store? I do understand not wanting to compete with the AC Centre-but the idea I had was to place a minor league hockey franchise there-in Philadelphia the Spectrum hosts the Phantoms while the Flyers play next door at the Wachovia Center. It brings back to mind the old LI Arena in Commack-it was the home for the old LI Ducks hockey team until the late 70s-when it was sold after the team left and was turned into a huge flea market facility that was sold and razed for another shopping center in the early to mid 90s. Memories and observations from LI MIKE

Back