News   Jul 30, 2024
 662     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 461     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 568     1 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Toronto SUN to endorse Rocco Rossi?

I heard through the grape vine that the Toronto SUN is getting ready to endorse Rocco Rossi for Mayor. Wow.. if this is true, it's going to be a game changer. I suspect that Ford supporters are the SUN's biggest demographic. At the very least, it could shift support away from Ford, allowing Smitherman or Pants to win. I'd be ok with Rocco for Mayor, even though I'm a progressive but I can't see him going from the single digits to win this thing, 2 weeks to election day.

What this conversation brought up though is that no major newspaper or magazine has endorsed a candidate yet. We already know that The Star hates Ford, but will their editor endorse anybody?

If I recall correctly, Toronto Life had endorsed Miller in 2003 and it made all the difference. It gave him the momentum he needed to be taken as a serious contender. I can't find the issues from that time, but I do remember that they were running very positive articles about him a couple of weeks before the election. They even had a cover with superhero Miller sporting a big Superman-like M logo on his chest.

I work in the publishing biz and I've yet to hear anything like that from other papers, but today the whispers about the Sun and Rossi started to get louder.

I've been hoping the whole thing would pull a 180....Rossi vs Pants is a much better choice than Ford vs Smitherman IMO. Better for the right, and better for the left.

One of the few clear endorsements I've come across is "Post City Magazines". I receive the North York Post, and there was a whole page dedicated to their endorsement of George Smitherman!

Here's the link: http://www.postcity.com/Post-City-M...gazines-endorses-George-Smitherman-for-mayor/

Which is great news for Smitherman, since North York is not his strongest area. Much like his former boss Barbara Hall, he's the downtown candidate, while Rossi and Ford are stronger in the suburbs. Rossi in particular is strong in North York.

Old debates? I guess we should not consider a candidate's past record now. Let's see who is more organized. That's new.
If we have to review a candidates past record, how do we get past Ford's 3 arrests, drunk-driving, wife-beating, child-abusing, police-bribing, and gay hating?

Though why we let this troll continue to post after using so many aliases in the past I don't know.

Why no recent poll? Someone must have commissioned one in the last few weeks, and if that someone is not a candidate named Ford, the silence can only mean that Ford's lead has increased.

Whatever the case, it sucks that we're getting close to a month without a legitimate poll.

Last edited:
^ Everyone's saying that a new poll will be coming out on tomorrow (Tuesday).

A Nanos poll was conducted 2 weeks ago but never released. I knew about it through the Pants camp so I'm going to assume that it was commissioned by his campaign but not made public because it showed him down.

A Nanos poll was conducted 2 weeks ago but never released. I knew about it through the Pants camp so I'm going to assume that it was commissioned by his campaign but not made public because it showed him down.

Odd, since the first time the Pants camp heard rumours about this poll it was from your post to Urban Toronto.

^ Everyone's saying that a new poll will be coming out on tomorrow (Tuesday).

I feel like putting my neck out a bit. (MetroMan, you have a way of bringing out the gambler in me). If and when the poll shows up, I expect to see Ford lose some traction to Rossi. That would have some major repercussions to this election.

BTW - returning from Chicago last night, the first bumpersticker I beheld was a Ford/Mayor thing, it was almost sick-making. And again BTW, I will post some things about Chicago later on in the Rest of the Universe thread.

PS-- "Let go, Joe"

Last edited:
just recieved an email from Pantalones office... their claiming '20' in thier polls.. I wonder if those where taken from Ward 19 lol...

pantalone racheting up NDP support means Ford will become the next mayor of Toronto.

again, the dippers continue to fuel the one campaign that they are most polarized against..

A 3 man race is definitely not a good thing for the anti-Ford crowd. Smitherman has a lot more money than Joe so it'll be an uphill battle to convince the progressive vote to go to him in under 2 weeks. I'm already dealing with the reality that we're likely going to get Rob Ford as Mayor for 4 years. Hopefully a council is elected that will prevent him from putting in motion his destructive plans.

A 3 man race is definitely not a good thing for the anti-Ford crowd. Smitherman has a lot more money than Joe so it'll be an uphill battle to convince the progressive vote to go to him in under 2 weeks. I'm already dealing with the reality that we're likely going to get Rob Ford as Mayor for 4 years. Hopefully a council is elected that will prevent him from putting in motion his destructive plans.

You mean, a bunch of elistist and self-righteous politicians that think it's okay to essentially run a coup d'état on a a democratic elected Mayor and his mandate?

It's a 3 man race indeed. Spotted last night on my long walk from downtown along King West/Bathurst/Queen West/Ossington/Dundas West: 3 election signs, all west of Dufferin on Dundas.

The numbers:

1 Rob Ford sign in the windows next door to a tax office (go figure) on Dundas near Dufferin (Portuguese owner.)

1 Joe Pantalone sign in the window of Portuguese business near Howard Park Av.

1 George Smitherman sign on the lawn of house displaying both the Portuguese and Canadian flags near Ritchie.

The verdict?

It's a 3 man race indeed. Spotted last night on my long walk from downtown along King West/Bathurst/Queen West/Ossington/Dundas West: 3 election signs, all west of Dufferin on Dundas.

The numbers:

1 Rob Ford sign in the windows next door to a tax office (go figure) on Dundas near Dufferin (Portuguese owner.)

1 Joe Pantalone sign in the window of Portuguese business near Howard Park Av.

1 George Smitherman sign on the lawn of house displaying both the Portuguese and Canadian flags near Ritchie.

The verdict?

Davenport is NDP heartland.. if Ford has Signs there ... lol...

p.s. no joe signs spotted north of bloor...

You mean, a bunch of elistist and self-righteous politicians that think it's okay to essentially run a coup d'état on a a democratic elected Mayor and his mandate?

Are the counselors not democratic [sic] elected with their own mandates?

Last edited:

Back