News   Jul 29, 2024
 654     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 344     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 628     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I will support Miller again. I really doubt that any credible opposition will emerge, and frankly even if Smitherman came forward, I think I would still back Miller.

Some of the recent mayors took the job as a hobby. Miller has two very real and hard goals, the waterfront and significant transit expansions. Who in our recent history had that sort of vision going for themselves? Noooobody. Lastman achieved a subway for his stretch, but that was pure turf war, no city-at-large thinking of any sort from him. Hell, when he was the mayor of North York he used to bash Toronto.

As for the "powers for Toronto" issue, Miller is caught in a crossfire. The province has finally agreed that Toronto is a big city and should have more powers, and Miller is coincidentally the Mayor at this time, so it is inevitable that his critics call him power-crazed. That is the nature of politics and people at large, I suppose. I firmly believe that Miller is a good human being and ultimately good for Toronto. He even has the arts in his scope and succeeded in getting them on the agenda. That was laughable in previous administrations.

One mayor, Barbara Hall, gave us something: "the Kings". But she once confessed to liking dollar stores when the Yonge rejuvenation issue came up, and she lost me then and there.

I fear John Tory. He's bland. Miller is a type of bland, a good bland, but Tory is a bad bland; fear that.

Last edited:
Mel Lastman did wonderful things for North York. He had some trouble in Toronto because of what Toronto was going through during his term. Frankly anyone else would've had the same trouble he did. Sheppard would have a full subway stretch if Dalton was in office back then and not Mikie.

If he decides to run again, Lastman would be the only person who's got a chance of swinging me away from Miller. Everyone else might as well stay home and not waste their money.

Infact, I'd love to see a Lastman vs Miller showdown.

Last edited:
Somehow, Mel's return to huckstering Bad Boy with Blayne renders him even less attractive now. Ashes to ashes; dust to dust; crass vulgarity to crass vulgarity. Leave him be...

Mel Lastman did wonderful things for North York. He had some trouble in Toronto because of what Toronto was going through during his term. Frankly anyone else would've had the same trouble he did. Sheppard would have a full subway stretch if Dalton was in office back then and not Mikie.

If he decides to run again, Lastman would be the only person who's got a chance of swinging me away from Miller. Everyone else might as well stay home and not waste their money.

Exactly what aspect of the clownish, corrupt, incompetent, deadbeat dad do you find so appealing? :p

North York was just a growing suburb. Lastman was just a populous leader who watched it happen. I don't really see the "great things" he did for North York, unless you count the the civic masterpeice and incredible public space that is his self-named square off of Young Street. :rolleyes:

Re: Karen Stintz

I've attended a few North York Community Council meetings and I can't tell you the number of times Stintz looked devoid of any interest in the proceedings. You can tell she wants a bigger stage, a brighter light. So bright in fact, I thought I caught the glimmer of the Mayor's ceremonial Chain of Office in her eye.

There aren't too many ripe pickings from the right-wing on City Council, but I think she is the strongest candidate from that side. Keep in mind, however, the last time a blonde, professional North Toronto councilwoman ran against Miller, she had it handed to her.

I agree with Graphic Matt that the strongest contender would be a centrist or slightly left of centre Liberal. Whatever candidate bridges the urban/suburban divide, particularly in that mushy York/North Toronto area, will end up winning. The worst case scenario for the Anti-Millerites would be a three-way race against Miller, with the Mayor holding left, a Grit holding centre and a suburban councillor leaning right. The Anti-Miller camps would split into their respective side (keep in mind, many big L liberals hate Miller as much as right wingers), letting Miller sneak through with a third term, though likely not with a majority vote.

Last edited:
North York was just a growing suburb. Lastman was just a populous leader who watched it happen. I don't really see the "great things" he did for North York, unless you count the the civic masterpeice and incredible public space that is his self-named square off of Young Street. :rolleyes:
As much as despise Lastman (for his buffoonery), I will say that Lastman was a very active supporter of North York's growth and development. It's significantly harder for such development to occur if city council and the mayor are in opposition every step of the way.

As for Miller, the reason I think he won was because he skillfully aligned himself against the Centre Island bridge... Well, that and because the other candidates were even less attractive than he was.

I agree with Graphic Matt that the strongest contender would be a centrist or slightly left of centre Liberal.

In practice, sort of like John Tory in 2003. (And I'm not being all that un-serious, either.)

As for Miller, the reason I think he won was because he skillfully aligned himself against the Centre Island bridge... Well, that and because the other candidates were even less attractive than he was.
Much, much more the latter in my opinion.

Back