News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.2K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 803     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 774     1 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Or at least, tarred by roughly similarly aligned predecessors even less attractive than he was (i.e. John Tory burdened by carrying the de facto Lastman torch)

I agree with Graphic Matt that the strongest contender would be a centrist or slightly left of centre Liberal

In practice, sort of like John Tory in 2003. (And I'm not being all that un-serious, either.)

If Tory runs the same platform he ran on in 2003, then yes, I would say he could be identified as a centrist candidate. I think it depends on who else were to run, as he would have to stake some of his own turf. Tory was running only a few months after the tumultous Tory Eves defeat, and had to constantly step back from his experience as a former Tory bagboy. I think he would expose a bit more Tory blue this time around, especially if a Grit establishment candidate, like Smitherman, were to throw his hat into the ring. That would place him well into right-of-centre field.

I think Tory's been burned too badly by his experience in Provincial politics to come off as centrist. Even if it's pretty well irrelevant to being the Mayor of Toronto, odds are someone would still bring up faith-based schools, for example.

As unattractive as Miller has become, Tory would do far worse IMO.

How many times has he lost now, in how many different situations? He now comes across as someone who wants political office just because.

Whoever it is, I would love for them to make a bridge to the airport an issue again. Now that most of the city has tried Porter, let's see how much sway the condofront NIMBYs truly have!

Now that most of the city has tried Porter, let's see how much sway the condofront NIMBYs truly have!

I highly doubt most of the city has tried Porter. According to this article, annual ridership is around 500,000. I assume that some of those rides are return trips, repeat customers, and non-Torontonians coming here. A good chunk of the city has tried Porter, but that's no where near most of it.

I think Miller is very beatable.........

http://www.cfrb.com/news/565/949392

It's no longer Miller time. Mayor David Miller's approval rating has plummeted from 69 percent four years ago to 43 percent today.

A new Ispos Reid poll also show the majority, 57 percent of Torontonians, think the city is headed in the wrong direction.

Ipsos Reid Senior Vice President John Wright said it's not just the stench of garbage in the air in Toronto, there's also a "whiff of change" in the air.

"I think it shows politically vulnerability for the mayor," Wright added,"We have strike effecting the entire city and is starting to paint the mayor into a corner "

With the next election not til 2010, potential candidates will likely be testing the waters.

And there is some speculation that former mayoral candidate John Tory and Deputy Premier George Smitherman may take a run at the mayor's job.

"If they decided to individually challenge the mayor in a head to head battle they both would win by a 7 point margin if a vote was held today," Wright said.

Over 800 Toronto residents were surveyed online between June 18 and 23rd.

^ Meh, that poll probably has a lot to do with the strike and such. I doubt he's that unpopular.

As unattractive as Miller has become, Tory would do far worse IMO.

How many times has he lost now, in how many different situations? He now comes across as someone who wants political office just because.

But would he have done "far worse", had he and not Miller been elected mayor in 2003? Dunno about that--although Tory might have been less inclined to arbitrarily attach himself to the Gladstone hipster crowd, he would have fared roughly as well, I reckon.

And as far as "what if" situations go, I can see Tory coasting to reelection in 2006 much as Miller did--who the left-leaning opposition candidate might have been, I don't know (Marilyn Churley?)

I keep hearing that Karen Stintz wants to run... but the last time a blonde, professional North Toronto woman ran she lost horrifically.

Stintz is way too stupid for the job. I have nothing against blonde women, but her and Pittfield aren't mayor material by a long shot.

I'll probably vote for Miller, even though his anti-gun and anti-airport shtick annoys me.

But would he have done "far worse", had he and not Miller been elected mayor in 2003? Dunno about that--although Tory might have been less inclined to arbitrarily attach himself to the Gladstone hipster crowd, he would have fared roughly as well, I reckon.

And as far as "what if" situations go, I can see Tory coasting to reelection in 2006 much as Miller did--who the left-leaning opposition candidate might have been, I don't know (Marilyn Churley?)
That's not what I meant. I meant that if Tory ran against Miller for the next election, Tory would probably do worse, even though Miller might do badly.

One way Miller could do not too badly is to reign in the garbage workers without many concessions. That probably won't happen though as it will probably hit arbitration, and many people already blame Miller for this since he set the example with the councillors' raises (admittedly a small amount but it's symbolic) and with the previous union negotiations (a very large amount).

That's not what I meant. I meant that if Tory ran against Miller for the next election, Tory would probably do worse, even though Miller might do badly.
Or maybe not?

John Tory would beat David Miller, Ipsos-Reid poll finds

It suggests he would beat Mr. Miller today by a 7% margin -- 34% to 27% -- although a plurality of voters, 39%, say they would vote for neither man.

I'm not convinced though. Tory would manage to find a way of screwing it up. Plus, that last part is rather telling.

Also:

Miller scrambles to save new streetcars

Mayor David Miller is considering calling a special city council meeting to find a way to save the Bombardier streetcar deal, after failing to wring money out of Ottawa for the $1.2 billion project.

The proposed contract expires Saturday. Council approved the deal for the new TTC streetcars on the condition that the funding be split equally among the three levels of governments.

But the federal government has made it clear the project does not qualify for funding under the economic stimulus fund.

Mayor David Miller is considering calling a special city council meeting to find a way to save the Bombardier streetcar deal, after failing to wring money out of Ottawa for the $1.2 billion project.

The proposed contract expires Saturday. Council approved the deal for the new TTC streetcars on the condition that the funding be split equally among the three levels of governments.

But the federal government has made it clear the project does not qualify for funding under the economic stimulus fund.

Miller can only take so many more blows... he needs to gain some political capital, pronto.

North York was just a growing suburb. Lastman was just a populous leader who watched it happen. I don't really see the "great things" he did for North York, unless you count the the civic masterpeice and incredible public space that is his self-named square off of Young Street. :rolleyes:

And Scarbrough. And Etobic. And East York.

Let's compare.

Back