News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.7K     2 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Just throwing out 2.7 billion or "doubled in x years" means squat. The city budget increases look amazingly similar to budget bloat in neighbouring GTA cities.

I guess if you want to lay blame, you can start with the police. They got the ball rolling.

The rest of the GTA is undergoing "budget bloat" as a result of increasing population. What's Toronto's excuse? We have nowhere near the population growth and we have the density to allow for extremely efficient delivery of public services. It is absolutely a valid concern when the budget doubles in something like 8-9 years with no real reason to account for it. If this had happened at the federal or provincial level, would you consider it acceptable?

As for the cops....they and all the unions deserve special criticism. They saw a filling till as an opportunity for a pay raise as opposed to a chance to invest in the city. And their greed has cost us dearly. The inability of the city's politicians to keep them in check is just as offensive.

I wouldn't even mind the extra spending if it had gone to something useful. Can you point out any tangible improvement for the average citizen besides slightly better bus service that Miller has provided?
Surely it's a question of what would have had to be cut?

In terms of improved service, though, the improvements to garbage collection are great. I now have a single large blue bin, rather than 5 smaller ones cluttering my porch. And the amount of garbage reduction seems significant as well, as I note that several of my neighbours who had 3 or more garbage cans out every fortnight, are down to one bin.

The significant effort to deal with the homelessness problem downtown seems to have paid off. It's never going to be 100% gone, but there is a lot, lot less panhandling and street people downtown, then there was in the early years of the decade.

Miller was very involved with securing BMO Field ... and has been pushing for the recently announced upgrade.

There's lots of new facilities, skate parks, several libraries around here have been significantly renovated. Snow clearance was markedly improved last winter, with quite early intervention to deal with the high snowbanks.

A lot of these things are hard to see, until you start driving around other major cities. We complain about our roads, but they really aren't in bad shape. The amount of litter lying around is minimal compared to many cities. Compare our number of libraries, pools, transit frequency to other major North American cities.

^ Those are some good improvements that I am grateful for. But I still don't think they justify a doubling of the budget over Miller's time in office. And the only reason he can get away with it is because he can blame the feds and the province for not sending him enough money. How is Miller's mishandling of the budget any different than what the federal Conservatives have done? Yet Miller get's a pass. And the Conservatives are threatened with eviction from office. And the feds haven't even doubled the budget in a decade.

To be Fair

While there have been budget increases in Toronto, that both exceed inflation and not directly related to amalgamation; including some I disagree with; I think its necessary to be fair and allow for how many increases in cost were either unavoidable or were very good uses of funds.

Let's start with the biggest cost, servicing the City's debt.

Post amalgamation, the City, unlike every other forced amalgamation received no grants to cover the cost, only a 200M provincial loan, repayable with interest and that really only to cover 1-time costs.

At the time of amalgamation, the City was carrying just over 1B in debt.

But, it was already, from day 1 in the hole. Due to past downloading, and past inadequate tax increases, was already short in the range of 200m PER YEAR in its operating budget.

An amount was covered up first by the provincial loan; then by drawing down reserve funds from water to welfare to parks.

Many services were cut to the bone, parks services lost over 33% of their lawn-mowing staff; and over half of the gardeners (who grow and plant flowers); the TTC was already deeply cut, was was deferring essential maintenance.

Thus debt continued to rise; the budget was balance partially by provincial bail-outs by largely by shift capital costs into the borrowing budget instead of the cash-from-current budget.

City debt went up every year under LASTMAN AND MILLER and has now reached 2.7B.

Your debt-servicing costs, despite low and falling interest rates are up (in part because the City's credit rating is down) and you are looking at more than 100M in annual budget pressure that wasn't there before, just to service the debt.

As reserves have declined, that money becomes part of the 'hole' as the reserves are no longer available to be raided. Hence why the funding gap never seems to shrink.

But there were also significant increases in cost due to amalgamation.

You might imagine there would be savings, and there were some.......

BUT

East York and Scarborough Library staff, fire fighters, parks workers etc. all made less than their Toronto and North York counterparts.

You didn't really expect the higher paid staff would take a pay cut did you?

Of course not. So that now forces wages up.

Thousands of workers get increases that exceeded inflation by more than 20% in some cases as they play catch up to their better paid brethren.

While there were fewer top managers; those at the top all got vast pay hikes; this was understandable if not helpful. They now commanded much larger departments. Instead of comparing themselves in pay to departments heads in Mississauga or Winnipeg, they now compare themselves to Chicago, or even New York. Accordingly, most of the savings from fewer planning or parks commissioners are eaten up by much better paid commissioners.

Then there is the matter of service levels.

Pre-Amalgamation Recreation service levels and fees were ranked like this, roughly:

1. Toronto (gold-standard programs, no fees)
2. North York (gold-standard programs, some fees)
3. Scarborough and Etobicoke (bronze-standard programs, high fees)
4. East York and York (Bronze or Copper programs, where available, high fees)

York didn't even have a recreation centre!

Similar examples could be found in Library Services, Social services, and even the Fire dept.

The service levels did not get compromised all the way down.

Only recreation, really, didn't get raised to the top.

Recreation was essentially harmonized at the North York level.

Fire has been upgraded to the highest level of service.

etc.

Outside of the old Toronto there were next to No BIAs, a smattering in Etobicoke, and the Yorks; none in Scarb. or NY.

Now Eco. Dev is managing 60+ BIAs.

Take a look at Streetscaping Costs which went from 2M per year, to over 5x that as more BIAs pay for decorative lights, trees, benches, etc.

Let's remember that if we looked strictly at property tax, even with Miller's slightly above inflation increases, if you average those with Lastman's tax freezes, total property tax residentially has rise less than 2% per year since amalgamation. Add in that business taxes went up less if at all, as the City seeks to reduce business property taxes, and you are looking at shrinking revenue vis-a-vis inflation.

Then there are the service increases.

After much bitching, the City has restored skating to its pre-amalgamation season in the old City of Toronto.

It has added new Rec Centres in St. Jamestown and south Etobicoke; and is currently building the new facility for York (old City of).

The lawn mowing and flower crews were restored, one of Miller's first 'Clean and Beautiful City' acts as people rightly said the place was looking unkept.

Special beautification projects were added, from that Island @ Jarvis and Richmond to planting trees in road side boulevards.

There is the matter of infrastructure that's getting older and in need of work.

The Fire department service is up; so is Eco. Dev; and the Library, the great success story having done this on very little money is also improving service levels.

While the TTC service levels in Vehicle Kms are WAY up.

This is not just about the 30min. service guarantee. There were many bus routes that before amalgamation had lost whole service periods. No Sunday Service, no Sunday Evening Service, No Saturday Evening Service, no Late Night service.

All of these have now been restored.

Don't forget that Low-Floor buses (provincially mandated) have lower capacity that the old GMs; as a result, it takes more buses (and drivers) to move the same number of passengers, in fact about 12% more. Just for status-quo service.

Now that said, that have been some wastes of money; what else is new?

The use of consultants to write multi-million dollar reports that any person with an iota of common sense could have written, in-house, if needed, for free is an abomination.

Highlights in this area:

Aquatics strategy:
(report summary, if the pools were better, more people would swim)

Shade in playgrounds Report:
(summary, if there are no trees around, we should plant some)

State-of-Good repair, parks reports
(summary, if its broken, maybe we should fix it)

We did not need expensive consultants for this!

There are some other things we could do better through automation, or less bureaucracy.

But alot of other cost were programs people wanted: Green Bin; apartment recycling etc.

And these had the effect of driving costs way up.

Yes garbage-pick up was 1/2'ed.

but bi-weekly recycling eats up that savings.

And green bin is completely new staff and processing facilities.

The City never paid for apt. garbage service in the burbs; so apartment recycling is just a net new cost with no off-set.

In summary while there has been some waste, and while some workers may be compensated on the generous side, most of those costs were unavoidable, and occurred pre-Miller.

The budget growth needs to be offset by new revenue.

and the pressure isn't done yet.

Just wait; with youtube videos of kids breaking into swimming pools in the middle of the night; the pressure is on to restore the old City of Toronto policy that pools are open till 3am or use falls below 6 people.

More budget pressure on the way!

Never mind maintaining all those new waterfront parks!

I think I could understand complaining about taxes and budgets if Toronto was really crappy, but people (and property owners especially) in this city have a pretty high standard of living. If we had the current budget and no services to show for it then there's a reason to gripe, but I think the taxes we pay are a pretty fair trade off for what we receive. I think a good question to ask is how would your life be better if the city's budget were cut back by $500million? Even if you feel it's a bloated system, you're probably not likely to feel better knowing you have a negligible sum of extra cash when undoubtedly something has been cut out somewhere. Is being able to go out for dinner one or two extra nights a year worth the cuts? Whether we like it or not, you can't cut any significant dollar amount from the budget without someone losing something. It's not like government is THAT inefficient.

I'll grant one area we could do better which might be in consultancy. Like Northern Light said, some of the reports are unnecessary. The problem might be that there just isn't enough staff to conduct these studies. I've only worked in the tourism department of the city, but their staff is pretty small. However, I know from working with the province that in some ministries, policy staff is a really under-funded area and most policy advisors who would be doing the work of the consultants are swamped. I wouldn't doubt this is the case at the city as well. We need more policy staff and less administration/paper pushers. More bright minds in government create better programs and therefore provide better bang for the buck. If we're always going to the private sector for anything that involves thinking, we're not getting enough bang.

The rest of the GTA is undergoing "budget bloat" as a result of increasing population. What's Toronto's excuse? We have nowhere near the population growth and we have the density to allow for extremely efficient delivery of public services. It is absolutely a valid concern when the budget doubles in something like 8-9 years with no real reason to account for it.

Please explain Mississauga to me then.

What's their excuse, they don't even have a debt to service or a city to build out so why has their operating budget bloated from near $340 million a few years ago to $540 million? (projected $580 million next year OMG 7.5% increase) According to a lot of people, that place isn't run by communists like Toronto is. What's the deal?

If this had happened at the federal or provincial level, would you consider it acceptable?

I think you should examine the budget statements of the provincial and federal governments over the past 5-6 years and pay attention to the operating expenditures. You may be surprised.

That barely cost anything in the grand scheme of things because most TTC bus routes were already there anyway. The 20 min bus service commitment does not come close to accounting for billions in new spending.

Large portions of the system only operated for a portion of the day for only a few days a week at 30 minute freqs. Love how easily you dismissed it though. FYI operating subsidy has increased from the $160-170M range from 2003 to almost $400M this year.

Northern Light,

I don't deny that some services have improved. However, I question whether value for money has really improved under Miller.

Toronto's operating budget has grown 31.8% from 04-05 to 09-10 and the capital budget has grown 76% over the same time period. The latter I don't have a quarrel with. Toronto's aging infrastructure requires such a staggering response. But 32% growth in operating expenditures comes during a period where the Bank of Canada says inflation was under a total of 12% and annualized population growth was 0.2% (extrapolation from Stats Can). Even being generous for real growth (if we assume that Toronto had stuck to the target 1% growth), the budget has risen at least 15% more that it should have.

Now you have suggested that a good chunk of that is due to debt servicing costs (which if true, most certainly means that we are getting less value for money today) and because of post-amalgamation harmonization costs. The first assertion is worrying. It means that Toronto has dropped any semblance of fiscal responsibility and has begun living off its credit card. This means we are only a few years away from an epic fiscal crisis. The second point I would challenge. Most amalgamation costs were incurred under Lastman. It was half a decade post-amalgamation when Miller took over. Whatever costs occurred under Miller's watch arising from amalgamation were probably minimal. But Miller can't emerge blameless for some of the growth in post-amalgamation spending especially when it comes to wages. Take garbage spending. It's clearly been pointed out repeatedly that privatization would bring down costs and improve service. Now I am not a proponent of privatizing every service, but where there's clear evidence that money can be saved and service improved, I do believe that it's incumbent upon politicians to act in the interests of their constituents...not adhere to ideology for the sake of their union pals. Heck, even the threat of privatization would have helped contain costs and improve productivity but Miller refused to even wield that stick. I don't consider it fair at all, that the mayor maintains his fair wage policy on the backs of working and immigrant families who often make far less than and have to work far more than many of the beneficiaries of said policy.

Please explain Mississauga to me then.

What's their excuse, they don't even have a debt to service or a city to build out so why has their operating budget bloated from near $340 million a few years ago to $540 million? (projected $580 million next year OMG 7.5% increase) According to a lot of people, that place isn't run by communists like Toronto is. What's the deal?

Mississauga's population has grown significantly more than Toronto over that time period. That account's for their 'budget bloat' As pointed out above, Toronto's budget exceeds any sort of reasonable real growth projection. And they don't have any debt to begin with....so at least they're living with their means and not wasting spending power on debt servicing. Beyond that, the excuse that "I can do it, because they're doing it" didn't work for you when you were a kid and shouldn't work for the Mayor either.

I think you should examine the budget statements of the provincial and federal governments over the past 5-6 years and pay attention to the operating expenditures. You may be surprised.

The federal budget has grown 22.8% from 2004-2005 to 2009-2010. That may not be ideal but its only about 6% above a real growth target. And of course, that spending growth has come under severe criticism from opposition parties federally.

The province, of course, has had much larger spending growth at 37% over the same period. But they have two of the most expensive items to contend with, under their purview: Health and Education. Despite that, until the recession hit they were on track to balance the books.

Both the higher levels of government until very recently were on track to either reducing their deficit (Ontario) or had no deficit (federal). When they do run deficits, they get hammered by the Opposition and usually penalized by the public if there doesn't seem to be a plan to return to fiscal parity. That's most certainly not the case in Toronto.

I worry that in our case, Miller's traded in our future by running up the debt. Rising debt service payments are essentially eroding our fiscal room to manoeuvre. I have no problems with rising expenditures if he had the political courage to match them with appropriate tax increases. But he hasn't done that either. He ran up the credit card tab for his successor to pay off. Nobody said it's easy being mayor. If he didn't have the money, or wasn't willing to raise it, he shouldn't have spent it. Other levels of government have seen their governing parties fall for a lot less than what Miller's done here.

Large portions of the system only operated for a portion of the day for only a few days a week at 30 minute freqs. Love how easily you dismissed it though. FYI operating subsidy has increased from the $160-170M range from 2003 to almost $400M this year.

An increase of $230M. Taking out population growth and inflation, what accounts for the other $150M increase in annual operating expenditures. Beyond that, it's a valid question to ask if we should be enhancing services if we don't have the money. If you're living off your credit card, do you go out and buy a car?

Last edited:
PUBLICATION: National Post
DATE: 2009.09.15
EDITION: Toronto
SECTION: Toronto
PAGE: A12
COLUMN: Peter Kuitenbrouwer
ILLUSTRATION: Color Photo: Peter Redman, National Post Files / Ralph Lean,the co-chairman of David Miller's fundraising team in 2006, says the Mayor "has gotten off track." ;
BYLINE: Peter Kuitenbrouwer
SOURCE: National Post
WORD COUNT: 563

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaner times ahead for Mayor; Influential fundraiser walking away

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ralph Lean, the chairman of the Cassels Brock law firm, has a long list of grievances against his Mayor, David Miller. Yesterday, he took time off from golfing in the Justin Eves Foundation charity tournament in Milton to spell those out in detail.

He is upset at Mr. Miller for overspending, for failing to freeze councillors' salaries, for narrowing Jarvis Street, for fighting with Porter Airlines ( "I'm a big supporter of Porter") and for refusing to examine outsourcing some city functions.

Mr. Miller could shrug this off, except that Mr. Lean is not just any old disgruntled voter: one of the city's most influential fundraisers, he co-chaired the team that funded Mr. Miller's runaway victory in the 2006 municipal election. And now Mr. Lean is walking away.

"I quite like David Miller," Mr. Lean said. But, he adds, "He's gotten off track. He's made a lot of mistakes. His supporters on council have pushed him in directions I don't agree with."

"Everybody I talked to, 100% of the people, have stopped supporting the Mayor," he said. "I've never seen anything like it in my political career."

Mr. Miller, who was an outsider when he first won in 2003, built a formidable team on both the left and right in 2006. That team included former Liberal premier David Peterson and former mayor and federal cabinet minister David Crombie, a Tory. Mr. Lean said he offered his services to Mr. Miller in 2006, calculating that, "It would be better if we had a voice at the table to represent our views."

Mr. Lean then hired Karen Miller, one of Toronto's most effective professional fundraisers, to run Mr. Miller's day-to-day fundraising operations. She had worked for the John Tory mayoralty bid in 2003.

"We raised $1.5-million," Mr. Lean recalls. "He will not raise the same amount this time."

For her part, Ms. Miller is busy organizing the True Patriot Love fundraiser for the families of Canadian soldiers. She does not know which mayoral candidate will hire her next year.

"I probably will sit on the fence for now," she says. "I don't know who's running."

The Mayor has said he will run again in the election, slated for November, 2010, and seek another four-year mandate. Stuart Green, Mr. Miller's spokesman, yesterday referred campaign calls to John Laschinger, whom Mr. Miller employed to run his 2003 and 2006 campaigns. Mr. Laschinger, who has worked on political campaigns as far away as south Asia, did not return calls.

"John Laschinger is the hired help," Mr. Lean says. "He'll be handicapped with less money."

Mr. Lean now says he will support either Mr. Tory or George Smitherman, the deputy premier, in a mayoral bid.

"I guarantee you one of those two will run," Mr. Lean says, adding, "Both of them told me, 'Only one of us is going to run.' "

Mr. Crombie is also declining to work on another Miller bid for the mayoralty, although he took pains to say he is not opposing the Mayor. He says he signed on in 2006 because it was a multi-party effort with Mr. Peterson and Mr. Miller, to make Toronto better.

"You had an old Tory, an old Liberal and an old NDPer," he says.

But today, he is hedging his bets, and won't say if he supports Mr. Miller, Mr. Smitherman or Mr. Tory.

"All three have experience and great qualifications. I know them all and they are all good people," he says.

One source close to the city's business leadership says the Mayor acted shrewdly to shore up business support in picking the board of Build Toronto, an agency with a mandate to sell off and develop surplus city-owned land -- formerly the job of the Toronto Economic Development Corp. (TEDCO). That board includes Blake Hutcheson, who chaired the Mayor's fiscal advisory committee, and Paul Finkbeiner of GWL Realty. But no one from that board returned calls yesterday.

In fairness to Miller, this is why Toronto's politics suck. Individual candidates always have to build up a cult of personality with a small group of supporters as opposed to making a coherent platform. Whenever I hear "political gossip" on the muni level, I always think of Baltimore politics in The Wire. Even if they aren't doing something illegal, it seems sleazy and incestuous.

With the upcoming budget, I am sure even his own family is distancing themselves from him.

Where Miller gets a bum wrap though, is that to do anything in this city the Mayor must appease the left wing majority. So his actions are also largely a reflection of them, yet they escape paying the political price.

and there's something wrong with that?

The only problem with that is that they aren't taking the heat for the decisions being made. The mayor is. And that's kind of unfair.

That being said, I don't necessarily buy that the left wing has to be appeased all the time to get something done. They certainly weren't under Lastman. It's just that Miller really is as much of a leftist as he appears to be. But for whatever reason most people can't seem to believe that.

The budget machinations should get going in a month or two. Then we'll really know where Miller stands and how much McGuinty is willing to bail out his career.

Well Miller is left-of-centre ... but he hardly seems a raving socialist; and seems quite pragmatic ... the only issue that he seems to let dogma get in the way is his feud with the Island airport - and he's been trying to simply avoid that issue for the last few years.

Remind me though ... what was accomplished under Lastman? Seemed to be more day-to-day operation than any vision ... and any major almagamation issues were avoided as much as possible.

and there's something wrong with that?

Yes, frequently there is. Especially so WRT municipal elections and representaion.

Back