News   Jul 26, 2024
 787     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Rob Ford never spoke out against same-sex marriage! Where are you coming up with this? Do you have any links to where he speaks out against gay marriage?

This is what Rob Ford had to say about same sex marriage:

“I support traditional marriage. I always have,” Ford said. “But if people want to....to each their own. I’m not worried about what people do in their private life. I look out for taxpayers’ money.”

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...-rob-ford-s-stance-on-gay-marriage-questioned

Is Barak Obama a bigot? He doesn't support gay marriage.

Mr. Ford’s views emerged during a reciprocal endorsement Wednesday with Mr. Brereton, a former Ontario Provincial Police officer who now preaches at the Glorious Church-Faith Temple, a multiethnic Christian congregation near Regent Park. Under the heading “my opponents” on his mayoral website, the pastor wrote: “Men who don’t truly comprehend the reality of the importance of the God defined family will dismantle the very ethical fibers of what a healthy democratic civilization is.”

He later told The Globe and Mail the comment was a shot at George Smitherman, the mayoral candidate who is married to Christopher Peloso. The pair have an adopted son. “That line definitely was a reference to George Smitherman, yes,” Mr. Brereton said.

By the time the news conference ended, the controversial comment had been removed from Mr. Brereton’s website. He said it was taken down from the “mayoralty website” because it wasn’t relevant in Ward 6 Etobicoke-Lakeshore, where he registered to run Wednesday. The old version of his website also said, “My Toronto doesn’t have businesses or festivals that promote sex tourism,” and “My kind of Toronto doesn’t parade immorality and call it pride.”Both comments have vanished from the new version of his site.

[...]

“We’re together. We have the same thoughts,” Mr. Ford said at a news conference with Pastor Wendell Brereton, who abandoned his candidacy for mayor to run for council and endorse Mr. Ford.

Stop bashing Ford

I really wish people would just give him a chance. I think a lot of people probably just don't understand why we voted for him. But, I dunno. Really, I just want people to calm down and really look at the facts. Ford was voted in because he stood for something that we've all been longing for in this city for 8 years.

This article explains it all, I think it helps (i hope it helps) make people understand our reasoning. http://itsn0tme.tumblr.com/post/1407533830/why-i-voted-for-rob-ford

Maybe that can shed light onto some issues, or maybe it will just fuel the fire. There are so many diverse people in this city, it's going to be hard to please us all.

I really wish people would just give him a chance. I think a lot of people probably just don't understand why we voted for him. But, I dunno. Really, I just want people to calm down and really look at the facts. Ford was voted in because he stood for something that we've all been longing for in this city for 8 years.

This article explains it all, I think it helps (i hope it helps) make people understand our reasoning. http://itsn0tme.tumblr.com/post/1407533830/why-i-voted-for-rob-ford

Maybe that can shed light onto some issues, or maybe it will just fuel the fire. There are so many diverse people in this city, it's going to be hard to please us all.

No, I won't 'give him a chance'. He's a racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-development baboon with no plan and no vision (except to cut the city to death).

His numbers don't add up. He's resorted to false-truths, slogan chanting ('gravy train') and has scared the public into believing that Toronto is bankrupt. It isn't. That's a flat-out lie.

He hasn't a clue as to how to run a city; there's more to it than tax cutting. His suburban-esque love for cars is out of control and – in this day and age – ridiculous. He will turn this city into a cultural dead-zone that no one will want to visit.

So, no, I won't give him a chance. He's made it loud and clear what kind of person he is and he will never garner my respect.

As for the 'gravy train' — do you honestly think he'll be able to perform his function as mayor without using tax payer's money? Please. Don't be naïve. Of course, he could just ask his brother for some cash.

Well, he definitely has a bad reputation, but nonetheless I'll give him a chance. If you don't think the City of Toronto has a spending a problem, then IMO you may be part of the problem.

P.S. Like it or not, people drive, and people don't all live in the core of the city.

Yes, Obama is homophobic. If you are anti gay marriage you are anti gay. Period. No debate. There is no other plausible reason why you wouldn't want to share the title of marriage with gays — especially since there are so many straights ruining the institution of marriage.

So, when a mayor aligns himself with an anti-gay Church — no, I don't want him as mayor. True, he can't take that right away from gays; but, would someone vote for a mayor who was openly racist?

Oh, wait... Toronto just did.

I haven't followed his every move for the past 10 years, but I have seen enough. Based on what I'd seen, I initially thought his run for Mayor didn't stand a chance, and then I watched in disbelief as his campaign gained momentum. I think he's had a chance, and for many of us, he hasn't demonstrated any redeeming qualities over the past 10 years that make us think he'll be good at running the city. However, I would love to be proven wrong. Maybe he'll be better as a Mayor than as a member of Council. I doubt it, but stranger things have been known to happen.

I haven't followed his every move for the past 10 years, but I have seen enough. Based on what I'd seen, I initially thought his run for Mayor didn't stand a chance, and then I watched in disbelief as his campaign gained momentum. I think he's had a chance, and for many of us, he hasn't demonstrated any redeeming qualities over the past 10 years that make us think he'll be good at running the city.
I don't think he's a great candidate either, but nonetheless he IS the next mayor.

He's won the mandate from the people, and he now deserves his chance. Hopefully he can see his own faults and stategically place effective people in key positions to get things done. All I can say is that Mel was a complete buffoon too, but actually did manage to at least get a subway line started, even if it wasn't necessarily the one everyone wanted.

Sensible?
Haha. :)

Well, he definitely has a bad reputation, but nonetheless I'll give him a chance. If you don't think the City of Toronto has a spending a problem, then IMO you may be part of the problem.

P.S. Like it or not, people drive, and people don't all live in the core of the city.

The problem isn't too much spending, it's unwise spending. And Ford will just add unwise tax cutting to the agenda.

People do drive. However, once they park their car — they walk. And if you think that downtown should make room for MORE cars, then IMO you may be part of the problem. If one wants suburban living — one moves to the suburbs. It would be like me (who lives downtown, did you guess?) going to the suburbs and demanding roads be narrowed, speed bumps be installed, sidewalks be widened, more traffic lights be installed, etc, etc, etc. People move downtown for a reason, as do people who move to the suburbs. Neither lifestyle choice should be impeded to make room for the other.

I am all in favour of subways, however, in the suburbs. Streetcars don't make sense out there. The 'burbs and dowtown should be connected with quick, effecient public transportation. Do not, however, destroy the city centre in the process.

Last edited:
No, I won't 'give him a chance'. He's a racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-development baboon with no plan and no vision (except to cut the city to death).

His numbers don't add up. He's resorted to false-truths, slogan chanting ('gravy train') and has scared the public into believing that Toronto is bankrupt. It isn't. That's a flat-out lie.

He hasn't a clue as to how to run a city; there's more to it than tax cutting. His suburban-esque love for cars is out of control and – in this day and age – ridiculous. He will turn this city into a cultural dead-zone that no one will want to visit.

I don't get this "love for cars" thing that everyone uses. Some people DO NEED TO DRIVE. Am I wrong? Like, I just don't understand where this comes from? My mother cannot walk, she can't bike, how does she get around? I used to have to live in Richmond Hill, and commute every day to work because there were no jobs in Richmond Hill and I Couldn't afford to live in Toronto. How am I supposed to get to work? There is no transit around me, and I couldn't get to a subway station without driving anyway. This mindset of "suburbans love their cars" is ridiculous bullshit. We hate our cars, we hate driving, who wants to be sitting in a car for hours?!??! Do you honestly think we all want to be sitting on the DVP not seeing our children while we drive our expensive SUVs that we can't afford???? OF COURSE NOT! that's not life. No one wants that. I don't want that, and i don't know anyone who does. And if someone does, they are the minority.

So before we talk about how he's so terrible because he needs to accommodate cars, it's time we look at the bigger picture and realize, that sometimes cars are the only option, and they need to be accommodated.

Back