News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.7K     2 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Whatever, alleging conspiracy because something doesn't agree with your (totally unsubstantiated) world views is absurd. Either read the polling methodology/data, or stop insinuating something you clearly aren't in a position to know anything about.
Conspiracy theory? Right-wing media warping the news to meet their agenda is a conspiracy theory? Have you ever watched Fox News? Do you think that this doesn't happen?

(Stop saying the report is private. It quite clearly isn't, you just don't want to pay to read it.)
$95 ... and who knows how much detail is in it.

Let's just wait and see how accurate it is when other polls come out. If indeed 80% of the electorate vote against Miller I'll apologise.

Conspiracy. You have no evidence to suggest this is part of some Fox News-Karen Stintz plot, yet you do.

Conspiracy theory? Right-wing media warping the news to meet their agenda is a conspiracy theory? Have you ever watched Fox News? Do you think that this doesn't happen?

Let's drop the histrionics. The questions that were asked and the responses were published in various media articles. None of it was that extreme or misleading. When 79% of voters say it's time for someone else to be mayor that's not spin. If a polls said that about Harper, you'd be jumping for joy on here. Or would you claim it was Liberal spin?

$95 ... and who knows how much detail is in it.

But Whoaccio's right. That there's a subscription does not mean that its polling done by a Skull and Bones approved corporation. Your 95 bucks will also get you access to all their public polling. If you can't afford it though, you shouldn't go around slandering the company or the service they provide.

Let's just wait and see how accurate it is when other polls come out. If indeed 80% of the electorate vote against Miller I'll apologise.

I'd agree that things aren't as bad as the poll indicates. It was 2 weeks after the strike. Undoubtedly that would impact his job approval ratings. However, things aren't going to get easy for him, here on in. Having failed to contain labour costs, and having drained virtually every reserve fund out there, Toronto is going set to face a fiscal crisis like none from its past. I think a strong challenger (like Smitherman) could dethrone him at this most opportune moment.

So the National Post and CanWest Global are secretly planning Miller to be defeated so Smitterman can take his place...

Ha... ;):confused::cool::rolleyes:

All I really know about Smitherman is that in 2009 he professed that he'd never heard about Toronto needing new streetcars, despite years of media coverage, and various documents that the city has sent to the province over the issue.

This alone suggests a complete and total ignorance about the city that he lives in, that I really question his fitness to lead.

The enmity Smitherman feels toward Miller is totally undisguised. The comment about the streetcars is an undisguised slight, er, the only other explantion is that Smitherman lives under a rock....... and he doesn't.

Miller's Transit City initiative in general is open to attack, it seems like a bunch of dinky toys. Maybe that's where George is coming from.

We should all remember the indisputable fact in this matter.

Miller is an idiot.. There is no denying it.

He looks at the ideal while ignoring reality...

Then he does not realize that by ignoring reality he will not be able to create the ideal.

Whats the point of talking about all these spectacular ideas and concepts, if your going to be facing a half a billion dollar shortfall next year.

He is ignoring the situation and hoping someone else will help him out. He knows he did not have the money for providing all these benefits to city workers. He knows by outsourcing some work, it will done in a far more efficient and effective manner while lowering costs but he won't because he clings to this silly outdated ideals about unions and whatever... :mad:

Thus he is a idiot.

:cool:

lordmandeep:

Quite frankly, I think you should be the last one to talk about others being idiots, if the quality of your posting of the forum is any indicator. Using the word "thus" won't make you sound any more intelligent than you already are. In addition, considering the amount of effort and streets smart required to get into power, politicians are anything but dumb - the term stupid should be reserved to those who think otherwise.

AoD

Last edited:
All I really know about Smitherman is that in 2009 he professed that he'd never heard about Toronto needing new streetcars, despite years of media coverage, and various documents that the city has sent to the province over the issue.

I'm also pondering his qualifications. While Miller's bio is relatively complete, I'm not finding much on Smitherman from the 1980s to the late 1990s. I can't even figure out where he went to school or what he studied!

He spoke at a university event earlier this year where he told us he had not attended post secondary school.

As for the streetcar thing, I heard him on CBC making those statements but they were in response to Toronto awarding Bombardier the bid without consulting the province in regards to funding. I thought it was very tongue-in-cheek, almost like "they never asked us for money for these streetcars, so how are we to know they need any?" I scoffed at the time because it put the politics of funding ahead of actual transit needs (in the form of an insincere threat), but I never got the impression that he didn't know about Toronto's transit initiatives.

Let's drop the histrionics.

The questions that were asked and the responses were published in various media articles.
I've looked, and I haven't seen them. I'd appreciate the URL

When 79% of voters say it's time for someone else to be mayor that's not spin. If a polls said that about Harper, you'd be jumping for joy on here. Or would you claim it was Liberal spin?
If they took the poll in Calgary - of course I'd be saying it's Liberal spin!

But Whoaccio's right. That there's a subscription does not mean that its polling done by a Skull and Bones approved corporation. Your 95 bucks will also get you access to all their public polling. If you can't afford it though, you shouldn't go around slandering the company or the service they provide.
I was questioning their national polling; given that other comanpies got completely different results on the same polling days, I think there is a lot of room to question their methods.

He spoke at a university event earlier this year where he told us he had not attended post secondary school.
Wow ... that might explain his ignorance on Toronto issues. Is he literate?

As for the streetcar thing, I heard him on CBC making those statements but they were in response to Toronto awarding Bombardier the bid without consulting the province in regards to funding. I thought it was very tongue-in-cheek, almost like "they never asked us for money for these streetcars, so how are we to know they need any?" I scoffed at the time because it put the politics of funding ahead of actual transit needs (in the form of an insincere threat), but I never got the impression that he didn't know about Toronto's transit initiatives.
So basically he was already campaigning for Mayor back then. And he is in conflict-of-interest. He should resign from cabinet.

So basically your telling me he is uneducated and has already violated conflict-of-interest guidelines. Elsewhere all I've gleaned is that he is a bully.

Does anyone have anything positive to say about him?

Miller's Transit City initiative in general is open to attack, it seems like a bunch of dinky toys. Maybe that's where George is coming from.
This is my fear, is that we'll play City of Ottawa-style "change the plan" everytime we get a new Mayor (or Premier, remember the "Eglinton West Subway") ... and like Ottawa, we'll still be talking about building the same 2-km LRT tunnel under downtown that they were talking about building in the 1980s.

lordmandeep:

Quite frankly, I think you should be the last one to talk about others being idiots, if the quality of your posting of the forum is any indicator. Using the word "thus" won't make you sound any more intelligent than you already are. In addition, considering the amount of effort and streets smart required to get into power, politicians are anything but dumb - the term stupid should be reserved to those who think otherwise.

Look I am not saying he is dumb or stupid like a ogre or something... He went to Harvard for crying out loud.

He is a man who does not deal with problems and does not deal with reality.

You can still be a very smart person but lack common sense.

He is heading towards a brick wall and he pretends there is nothing going on.

He has raised taxes greatly yet it appears it has not been enough, as Miller does not believe in controlling expenses.

For I do praise him in bringing us a ton of development to this city and the downtown is vibrant as ever. However, the suburbs have gone to rot and will continue to as Miller increases taxes and drives away the middle class away from this city.

For that he is in my eyes, a very bad mayor. I use to like him at first, but now...

Hang on ... your complaining he's taxing too much ... but you go to the people living outside of Toronto, and they all complain that their taxes are much higher than Toronto's.

Which is it?

lol

Of course property taxes are lower but he created a whole array of new taxes which practically negate any difference imo.

Wow ... that might explain his ignorance on Toronto issues. Is he literate?

So basically he was already campaigning for Mayor back then. And he is in conflict-of-interest. He should resign from cabinet.

So basically your telling me he is uneducated and has already violated conflict-of-interest guidelines. Elsewhere all I've gleaned is that he is a bully.

Does anyone have anything positive to say about him?
Yes, he is truly Satan.

Back