News   Jul 23, 2024
 126     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 257     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 879     1 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Tonights results really call into question the competence or ethics of some of these polling companies. Just 5 days ago Ipsos called it a "dead heat" with Ford at 33% to 31% In the end more people voted for Ford as did Smitherman and Pantalone combined! There is no way that so many people could have changed their minds in just 5 days so Ipsos is either an incompetent polling firm OR they released bogus data in order to create momentum for the "anyone but Ford" movement.

So, how long will the Rob Ford honeymoon last?

Ford has set the expectations so impossibly high and made such a long list of promises that he can't possibly keep that people are going to be very angry come 2014. This is setting the stage for a landslide win for a visionary candidate in 4 years.

Peepers, do you see conspiracies everywhere? There were a lot of undecideds in those polls. Obviously the majority of that vote went to Ford.

Mel wasn't hateful. He respected the gay community and even marched in the pride parade. Who wants to take bets Rob wont show up? Mel might of been intellectually weak and a bit unsophisticated but he wasn't racist, mean-spirited or vindictive. Mel also made his wealth on his own. He did not come from money, he accomplished that on his own. That makes a big difference.

Some people are still uncomfortable with the idea of two men kissing, or just homosexuality in general. Why don't you just deal with it? Stop trying to force/expect others to accept the whole idea of homosexuality. Not everyone is going to believe what you believe. I come from a West Indian background, but couldn't care less if people are still stuck in the 50s or if people mention racist terms towards black people. I know that I won't be able to change their views no matter how hard I try. And if you consider Ford a homophobe for making a comment about Gays and AIDS, then Mel is a comment for his comment about African tribes and cannibalism. They both wern't really bad comments, probably a joke (or not meant) but it was slip of the tongue.

Ford has set the expectations so impossibly high and made such a long list of promises that he can't possibly keep that people are going to be very angry come 2014. This is setting the stage for a landslide win for a visionary candidate in 4 years.
I give him until March. That's when his suburban subway plan quietly gets swept under the carpet with the remove-streetcar plan. The repeal-land-transfer tax has already been set back several years and will undoubtably get pushed back again. His attrition plan is an order of magnitude larger than reality too.

Perhaps it'll be the first time he tries union-busting. I doubt the unions will help their cause, but I suspect there will be wildcat strikes the first time there is even a whiff of union busting.

Peepers, do you see conspiracies everywhere? There were a lot of undecideds in those polls. Obviously the majority of that vote went to Ford.

It's something to think about. The polls were head to head for quite some time. I personally don't believe in polls, they influence the pure vote.

So the anti-gay, anti-investment, anti-intellectual, anti-"foreigner", anti-urbane and anti-social vote got through. How incredibly depressing - to know we're being edged into being less citizens now, than something called 'customers'.

Although Mr. Ford has never completely devoted himself to his Councillor job in the past, will he have to give up his home job, now that he's elected?

I don't want to wish ill will upon our new Grand Poobah, but it's hard to imagine much goodwill, grandeur or ease for everyone coming out of the next four years. It's not just here, either - the steady widespread creep towards gross anger, intolerance and bigotry all over (in the name of pennies, jobs, practicality) is really alarming. Toronto has always been an oasis for myself, from that sort of thing. Sad to see it's got a root in here. But I suppose we'd be delusional if we thought that as Canadians, we were somehow gently exempt from being susceptible to the sort of pathologies that afflict the rest of the human race.

I hope the next four years goes well. I'd rather it go better than not.

If anything, I think the polls motivated a lot of people to vote Smitherman. Anecdotally I was hearing many stories of people shifting their votes from Pantalone to Smitherman. That said, I suspect the push for Ford also ramped up when people saw the neck-and-neck polls.

I'm going to go out and get drunk. I don't drink. I'm simply stunned that Torontonians would elect a homophobic, right-wing, bigot.

I predict increased liquor sales in Toronto for the next four years. I know I'll be buying.

Back