News   Jul 26, 2024
 864     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Looking at the new poll numbers I wonder how many of the 35% supporting Smitherman are "strategic" voters who moved to Smitherman as part of the "anyone but Ford" movement?

I bet there are many.

Now that it looks less likely that Smitherman can win I wonder if they will reverse their decision and vote their conscience on Monday? We could still see Pantalone finishing second after Ford on Monday night.

Elections aren't that unpredictable. You can take an average of the polls in the last few weeks and generally the results will be within a few points of what they say. That Pantalone is holding out for a goddamned 20 point jump after three days of campaigning is what makes him so ridiculous.

Both Ford and Smitherman are talking about cutback..but has any of these canditaies lay out a plan if they will invest into the city to improve public spaces and infrasctructure.
My vote is leaning more towrds Ford..but i believe he would invest little or minimum into making Toronto world class city.
Does anyone know where they stand on this issue?

What makes a city "world class" is its culture, festivals, sports events, waterfront, architecture, leading in certain fields such as the environment.

The essence of Ford's plan is to cut all that. Cancel the work on the waterfront, invest nothing in culture and festivals, and move marathons to parks where they will become minor events.

Smitherman promises to keep the momentum going on the waterfront, arts and culture. He plans to create a Silicon Valley type district for the Green Industry in the portlands. Only him and Joe Pantalone have a plan to keep Toronto growing as a world class city. Only Smitherman is a realistic candidate at this point.

Ford has proposed no investments of any kind in anything except for maybe accessibility. His website doesn't have much on public spaces.

Smitherman does have a parks policy you can read about here: http://www.georgesmitherman.ca/issues.html#parksandrec

Please don't vote for Ford if you value public spaces.

Just saw Smitherman give an explanation on why he is REFUSING to release his donor list. He says he can't because he is "still actively soliciting donations" (4 days before the election?) AND that the campaign law doesn't require disclosure before the election (we need to change that law).

With an explanation like that Smitherman must take us as idiots. Why would anyone TRUST someone like this?

If elected I predict that Smithermans first (of many) scandals will be "DONORGATE" when we get to see a list of donors. I bet it includes many e-health consultants.

Glen, your strategy of electing the unintelligent guy who may stumble into lowering commercial property taxes as part of a general campaign to lower and eliminate other taxes and cutting lots of things is, I think, a brave one.

Given the latest poll, I would say that Ford has this sealed. 2 Days before the election and with a new growth tells me unless Pantalone voters leave to Smitherman en masse, Ford is going to be our Mayor for the next 4 years. Buckle your seat belts.

Both Ford and Smitherman are talking about cutback..but has any of these canditaies lay out a plan if they will invest into the city to improve public spaces and infrasctructure.
My vote is leaning more towrds Ford..but i believe he would invest little or minimum into making Toronto world class city.
Does anyone know where they stand on this issue?

When asked about investments of any sort, Ford's response has been that 'we can't afford it'. His claim is that we need to get our financial house in order first, which he plans to do by "cutting wate", "ending the gravy train", and decreasing city revenue. His voting history clearly demonstrates his views on investing in basically anything, and he is proud of that stance.

Pants is all about investment, but he can't win.

Smitherman is more pragmatic. He's for increased funding in a number of areas, but recognizes the financial constraints. His plan for funding those increases is somewhat questionable, and relies partly on Provincial funding.

Basically, If this is your primary concern...Ford won't, Pants can't, and Smitherman will try.

Glen, your strategy of electing the unintelligent guy who may stumble into lowering commercial property taxes as part of a general campaign to lower and eliminate other taxes and cutting lots of things is, I think, a brave one.

I don't believe that Rob is unintelligent. To the contrary. I believe that Miller, who has a degree in economics and is outright dismissive of the simplest principals of land economics, is unintelligent. Miller cares about how he is perceived, first and foremost.

In all honesty I think that the city could cut a billion in spending without much notice. Regarding commercial property taxes, I have had discussions over the years with people at the city, including the Mayor's office. While some insiders have given me info off the record and agree that this is THE issue facing Toronto, the Mayors office is very dismissive. If Rob is elected, I can guarantee that I can met with him and discuss the issue, and he will look into the the issue and address it.

With this new poll expect the Pantalone resignation movement go into overdrive in the next 48 hours. Alas, he could be kingmaker but something tells me he that if he were that concerned with Ford holding a strong lead, he would have resigned back in September.

There's no chance in hell that Pants would drop out now. None. First, he's vowed to stay until election day as recently as today, second, it wouldn't make much of a difference. Getting the word out with 2 days to go would be a bit of a challenge albeit still possible but convincing people to vote for Smitherman after saying that he was worse than Rob Ford is not going to work.

If the Pants crowd wants to save the city from Ford, they're going to have to do it in the voting booth.

Back