News   Jul 26, 2024
 845     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

If Ford wins, his government's first millions-were-wasted moment will be a real loss of innocence moment for a lot of people. It's an interesting flip to see the right-wing as the idealists, but they really believe that this man can run a city government without any missteps, mistakes or corruption.
He can't, and based on his own pathetic record neither can Smitherman.

Damned if A wins, damned if B wins. What to do, what to do???

What I find most interesting here is that 500 provincial civil servants are being tasked to spend their Monday afternoon campaigning for Smitherman - at the taxpayer's expense.
They're doing whatever it takes to keep him away of Queen's Park for the foreseeable future!

I'm curious about the results of the newest poll. If Pants dropped to 10%, why are Ford and Smitherman still at 30%? I expected Smitherman to gain from Pantalone's loss, but not only did he not gain, but neither did Ford. Did people all of a sudden jump into the undecided column again?

All in all, I'm the most optimistic that I've ever been that Smitherman will win. Joe didn't make the big traction that his latest debate performances and media attention suggested he would. Most people paying attention to the election now will see it as a Ford or Smitherman choice and I'm confident that a lot of Torontonians can't imagine Ford as their Mayor.

Bring on Monday!

I'm curious about the results of the newest poll. If Pants dropped to 10%, why are Ford and Smitherman still at 30%? I expected Smitherman to gain from Pantalone's loss, but not only did he not gain, but neither did Ford. Did people all of a sudden jump into the undecided column again?
Something really smells after four weeks with not even one poll followed by a flurry of them. Whether due to manipulation or incompetence, the public has been under-served in this election.

On Tuesday can we start a new 'Next Mayor of Toronto?' thread about 2014?

^ Yes :) While Smitherman wasn't my first choice (or second), I'm content with his policies and interested to see what he will do. The city needs some restructuring to come of age after amalgamation and I think he's just about the right kind of politician to do it. I expect to see some of Miller's pet projects slowed down (waterfront, city beautification, festivals) but that we'll still have a progressive city. In 2014, if Mayor George does what he says he's going to do, it'll be difficult to defeat him, unless a very inspiring figure with progressive ideas captures the imagination of the electorate.

... of course Ford can still win. I don't think he'd ever manage to win a second term though. He's all talk and we know he can't deliver. He'd have a very mad electorate in 2014.

Either way, in 2014 I predict Mayor2010 VS. Pantalone or Giambrone 2.0. VS Rossi Reboot

Last edited:
BREAKING NEWS JUST IN !

Latest poll from Ekos research shows Rob Ford in a significant LEAD ! 43.9 to 35.6

http://www.ekospolitics.com/index.p...tight-toronto-mayoralty-race-october-22-2010/

While this is good news my only fear is that fellow Ford supporters will get complacent and take a win for granted. We can't let that happen.

None of the media seems to be picking up this poll. That's odd. It's a significant change from the last 3 polls which seemed to be consistent. Let's assume this poll is accurate. You're forgetting the Pantalone votes:

¤ 43.9% Rob Ford
¤ 35.6% George Smitherman
¤ 15.0% Joe Pantalone

If and when this poll is divulged, the 15% of Pantalone voters will panic. I still think we'll see most of them shifting to Smitherman.

Nonetheless, advantage Ford going in to election day.

Former Tiny imperfect Mayor David Crombie endorses Smitherman"

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...avid-crombie-endorses-smitherman?bn=1#article

In a blatant example of quid pro quo Smitherman stated that "should he win Monday, he will name Crombie as a special adviser with a mandate to recommend how to turn schools into “community hubs.”

Political corruption right out in the open for all to see! Imagine what goes on behind the scenes?

What the story doesn't mention is that since leaving office Crombie has gone from one high-paid cushy political appointment to the next. He has been feeding at the public trough like a money-sucking pig for decades. He is an example of what is wrong with our city (and province). Too many well-connected washed up politicians getting high-paid cushy jobs to do nothing all at the expense of the taxpayer.

We need to stop this gravy train for good!

Latest poll from Ekos research shows Rob Ford in a significant LEAD ! 43.9 to 35.6
I find it bizarre that they use the phrase "randomly dialled sample of 500 Torontonian voters". Given that 4-5 other polls have all had virtually the same result, I'd think that this is the outlier.

Also, look at the polling dates. October 13 to October 21st. With that time period, there is no reason that the poll numbers should not be more similar to the other results. With so many other (and larger) polls saying it's a tie, then I'd say that this (and the August Nanos poll) is the 1 in 20 poll. Though with the +/- of 4.7, this polls could still not be the 1 in 20 poll as it could show that Ford is at 39.2% and Smitherman is at 40.3%.

While this is good news my only fear is that fellow Ford supporters will get complacent and take a win for granted. We can't let that happen.
Good news if you want to let an incompetent bigot run the city, higher taxes, less transit, and more road congestion perhaps.

What is needed to change the outcome from a clear Smitherman victory to something else is a poll from October 21/22 by someone who polled earlier this month, which might detect a trend.

Also, look at the polling dates. October 13 to October 21st. With that time period, there is no reason that the poll numbers should not be more similar to the other results. With so many other (and larger) polls saying it's a tie, then I'd say that this (and the August Nanos poll) is the 1 in 20 poll. Though with the +/- of 4.7, this polls could still not be the 1 in 20 poll as it could show that Ford is at 39.2% and Smitherman is at 40.3%.

What is needed to change the outcome from a clear Smitherman victory to something else is a poll from October 21/22 by someone who polled earlier this month, which might detect a trend.
What are the polling dates of those other polls?

I have a question. In a weak-mayoral system, with a left-leaning council, why do I care if Rob Ford becomes mayor? The worst thing that will happen will be some embarrassing gaffes and 4 years of inaction, no?

The biggest issue I have with the Ekos poll is that it doesn't say who commissioned it. But Smitherman being down a few points going into election day is probably the best place for him to be.

Back