News   Jul 26, 2024
 828     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

So, Ford has his flaws but Smitterman is no saint and Ford is not a racist...
Smitherman is certainly no saint ... but Ford is very clearly a racist ... and also a bigot. I'm not sure how one can possibly even argue this one ... unless one also is a racist.

Ford was at a local Sikh temple and fitted in rather well with everyone. Won me over...
Well you've been suckered then ... the man has lied so many times during this campaign. He clearly has no moral character ... you don't think he's not beyond staging such stuff?

So just because he used the outmoded term "oriental" to describe Asians and a poor choice of words to describe their very strong work ethic ("they work like dogs") this makes him a racist? Is that all you have on Ford to prove he is a "racist"?
Are you kidding me? It's not the use of the term "oriental" that's the issue. It that he stereotypes people based on their skin colour. If he'd used the word Asian or Chinese instead of Oriental, his vile comments would have been just as racist.

So you're allowed to call Ford a 'fat fuck' but I can't call Smitherman a bald queen?
To be fair, Ford is the first person who ever said Fat Fuck on camera. If there was video of Smitherman running around Queen's Park shouting "BALD QUEEN", " BALD QUEEN" at the top of his lungs it would be fair comment.

However there isn't, and use of the phrase only demonstrates that those that using it are vile bigots for attacking someone based on their sexuality.

I can't wait for this election to be over for Urban Toronto to be turned back to interesting arguments about urbanism. The IQ average of this forum has dropped dramatically over the past few months. The post above is representative of the kind of discussions that have caused that drop.
So Kim Campbell was right when she said elections are no time to be talking about issues?

Are you kidding me? It's not the use of the term "oriental" that's the issue. It that he stereotypes people based on their skin colour. If he'd used the word Asian or Chinese instead of Oriental, his vile comments would have been just as racist.

What was so "vile" about his comments? That he used a poor choice of words to describe the strong work ethic among Asians? ("they work like dogs") ALSO it was precisely his use of the term "Oriental" that got so many uninformed people jumping all over him. They thought that the term "Oriental" was a pejorative when in actual fact it is just an outmoded term. I think that Rob Ford means well with his comments but his comments are some times in-artful. Fortunately for Rob Ford the Asian community seems to understand him perfectly well since the list of campaign donors released by Team Ford is predominated by Asian donors.

I should add to my last post that if Rob Ford wins (fingers crossed) it will be thanks to his many Asian supporters. Many come from Hong Kong where taxes are very low and yet Hong Kong's infrastructure is second to none in the world. A real paradox! Hong Kong proves that you can have low taxes without sacrificing services. We CAN have our cake and eat it too - we just have to get rid of the gravy train!

Last edited:
To be fair, Ford is the first person who ever said Fat Fuck on camera. If there was video of Smitherman running around Queen's Park shouting "BALD QUEEN", " BALD QUEEN" at the top of his lungs it would be fair comment.

However there isn't, and use of the phrase only demonstrates that those that using it are vile bigots for attacking someone based on their sexuality.

So that means that Filip - who has stated that he is gay - is a "vile bigot" for "attacking someone (Smitherman) based on their sexuality"?

You're not making any sense.

Time to go to bed.

Last edited:
i'm sure ford has quite a few italian supporters as well, despite calling an italian person, a fellow city councillor, a "gino boy" while on city council.

So Filip - who has stated that he is gay - is a "vile bigot" "attacking someone (Smitherman) based on their sexuality

maybe when he calls someone the n-word on this board for the first time, he'll let us know for the first time that he's black. what a great defence.

Last edited:
i'm sure ford has quite a few italian supporters as well, despite calling an italian person, a fellow city councillor, a "gino boy" while on city council.

maybe when he calls someone the n-word on this board for the first time, he'll let us know for the first time that he's black. what a great defence.

Ford probably meant it as a term of endearment. I am called a "caker" (cake eater) by Greek friends and it doesn't bother me in the least. I really doubt that - deep down - Giorgio Mammoliti took offense to being referred to as a "Gino boy" IN FACT it was Mammoliti who jumped to Fords defense when that mop&pail reporter JOHN BARBER called Ford a FAT FUCK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8EpSdyB0zY

Ford probably meant it as a term of endearment. I am called a "caker" (cake eater) by Greek friends and it doesn't bother me in the least. I really doubt that - deep down - Giorgio Mammoliti took offense to being referred to as a "Gino boy" IN FACT it was Mammoliti who jumped to Fords defense when that mop&pail reporter JOHN BARBER called Ford a FAT FUCK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8EpSdyB0zY

term of endearment? is that why mammoliti filed a complaint for an ethnic slur and the city spent 30 grand investigating the complaint? because it was a term of endearment? it seems to me that if rob ford wants to stop the gravy train, he should shut his mouth. he spoke 1 word and cost the city 30k. so much for buying his own paper clips. and by the way, just because mammoliti is backing ford now, that does not excuse what ford said. mammoliti does not speak for or represent all italian canadians, he speaks for himself.

if rob ford wants to stop the gravy train, he should shut his mouth. he spoke 1 word and cost the city 30k. so much for buying his own paper clips.

For the sake of argument lets assume that what you said is true. Rob Ford cost us $30,000

GEORGE SMITHERMAN cost us $1 BILLION on e-health

BUT WAIT ! $1 BILLION is NOTHING!

It doesn't stop there!

GEORGE SMITHERMAN cost us MORE THAN TEN BILLION DOLLARS on his SAMSUNG BOONDOGGLE ! http://viewsfromscience.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-mcguintys-plan-will-cost-you.html

In fact the total cost could be up to 54 BILLION DOLLARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL OF US will be paying for GEORGE SMITHERMANS mistakes FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES. If you have children or grandchildren they will be paying for Smithermans MISTAKES for the rest of their lives as will their children and grandchildren!

So who do you want to vote for?

Last edited:
For the sake of argument lets assume that what you said is true. Rob Ford cost us $30,000

GEORGE SMITHERMAN cost us $1 BILLION on e-health

BUT WAIT ! $1 BILLION is NOTHING!

It doesn't stop there!

GEORGE SMITHERMAN cost us MORE THAN TEN BILLION DOLLARS on his SAMSUNG BOONDOGGLE ! http://viewsfromscience.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-mcguintys-plan-will-cost-you.html

In fact the total cost could be up to 54 BILLION DOLLARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL OF US will be paying for GEORGE SMITHERMANS mistakes FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES. If you have children or grandchildren they will be paying for Smithermans MISTAKES for the rest of their lives as will their children and grandchildren!

So who do you want to vote for?

for the sake of argument lets assume that what i said is true?

maybe if someone found a video of him saying it, he'd come out and say "oh, that ethnic slur. now i remember! it totally slipped my mind! like a dui and pot possession in florida!".

and why are you responding to what i said with anti-smitherman propaganda? what the hell does that have to do with ford's ethnic slur comments? crap, i'm willing to bet that if he killed someone, you'd be saying "but george smitherman! ehealth! samsung! gravy train!"

So you are part of the heart and soul of this forum? You fully understand everything that goes on here? Because you hardly get off you're computer Mr.9000 posts you think that you are one of those experienced members who demands people become the "heart and soul" of the site? Meanwhile I see people hurling insults at you for the exact same reason why I have complained about you, Mr. Urban Toronto police constable? Anyways, I will not reply to this guy anymore. I'm here to discuss issues that pertain to my hometown, not to fight with people who have personal issues they need to resolve instead of taking out on kids like me who are actually willing to become a part of mainstream society, using their heads to vote and want to be independant.

Well, by linking you up to the Miscellany threads, I'm giving you advice t/w being an enlightened "part of mainstream society". OTOH the way you're going about a desired move to Toronto now, it's like hooking up w/the Dimitri The Lover crowd in order to get dates.

Oh, and please. Spell "independent" correctly.

What was so "vile" about his comments? That he used a poor choice of words to describe the strong work ethic among Asians?
I've already explained this. It wasn't the odd choice of words (a very odd choice of words ... it's like he only ever discusses the issue with white people or something) ... it's the stereotyping. And that's something he has done again and again.

It's racist ... and I really don't care if he has support from the Asian community or not, that doesn't make it any less racist.

But let's ignore his racism for a minute; his bigoted anti-gay remarks and actions are far more common. No one here questions that he is a bigot, it's only the racism part that people to react to.

Each is equally vile; obviously we can't have an anti-gay bigot running the city.

Back