News   Jul 26, 2024
 376     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 991     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 850     1 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

There is actually nothing wrong with what Pantalone said. If a person cannot in good conscience cast their vote for a candidate then spoiling the ballot is a valid alternative. A person should never vote for the sake of voting, at the end of the day we all have to live by our decisions. By spoiling the ballot at least you are taking part in the process instead of staying at home. I would never vote for Pantalone but I hope that all of his supporters who believe in his NDP policies will cast their vote for him and not be swayed by the anyone but Ford cries from the Smitherman campaign.
Actually, you can decline your ballot which sends a strong statement that you believe in the process but chose not to vote for any of the candidates running. I've done it. The difference with declining your ballot and spoiling it is that declining it is a deliberate action, spoiling it could be a simple error, so as a protest or political statement you should decline, not spoil. Declined ballots are recorded as such.

There is actually nothing wrong with what Pantalone said. If a person cannot in good conscience cast their vote for a candidate then spoiling the ballot is a valid alternative. A person should never vote for the sake of voting, at the end of the day we all have to live by our decisions. By spoiling the ballot at least you are taking part in the process instead of staying at home. I would never vote for Pantalone but I hope that all of his supporters who believe in his NDP policies will cast their vote for him and not be swayed by the anyone but Ford cries from the Smitherman campaign.

Please, spare me. I am well aware of the purpose of spoiling your ballot. My point is that it's irresponsible for a POLITICIAN to encourage it. Politicians are supposed to have some faith in the system, and encourage others to take the system seriously and vote for a candidate, not spoil a ballot. He should further know the old adage of politics -- it's the art of the possible. Mayor Pantalone is impossible; Mayor Smitherman is. Mayor Ford is also possible, but Pantalone's ego will get in the way. I know a few people who have worked with him, and they've all mentioned that he embodies a Napoleon complex. He's a tiny guy with a huge ego, and Toronto may well pay the price for it.

You know and he knows he would prefer Smitherman. A politician in this country should not be trying to delegitimize the election to try to make a dishonest point that he's the only person who can implement sufficiently progressive.

I suspect that Pantalone would like to take those words back.

I've read and digested all the press available this morning and I guess that I can sense the possibility of (I surely hope) a Smitherman victory.

While a Smitherman victory would make me very happy, I will never forget the polarity that this election has revealed. It is appearing at this point in time that it will be suburban values vs. urban values from now on - this is the legacy of amalgamation, the forced marriage of very dissimilar municipalities into one. Amalgamation is going to be like herpes, "the gift that keeps on giving". Rob Ford may disappear but a likeness of him will show up in the future. Thanks, Mike Harris and Al Leach :( .

I think Rob Ford will win big also provided that Pantalone stays in the race. This is based not so much on gut feeling but by simply observing the comment sections of online news sites like the Star, CBC, Globe etc. where support for Rob Ford seems to be at least 80%. I know these observations are not scientific but the passion for Rob is undeniable. We know that there has been a huge surge in advance polling which I suspect are from all the passionate Rob Ford supporters getting out early. I can't imagine that Dalton McGuinty's former right-hand man is driving voters to advance polls in record numbers.

I think the latest polls showing a tightening in the race were quite possibly rigged by the powerful forces supporting Smitherman. They are trying to manipulate the vote by presenting Smitherman as the only one with a chance to beat Ford, i.e. using bogus polls as a way of getting Pantalone to drop out of the race.

Given your previous few comments, I reckon you're one of those online news article commentators, spurring the anti-Smitherman BS that you guys love spurring. Just because Ford has a posse of E-supporters who spam the Toronto Star and other media outlets doesn't mean that 80% of the population supports him. You claim that the latest survey numbers were twisted in Smitherman's favour. I don't buy it. But on the topic of twisting numbers, take a look at your own candidate, Rob Ford, the king of number spinning, deceit, and manipulation of information.

http://www.youtube.com/user/frodformayor#p/a/u/0/VS3buOr8Nm0

So Rob Ford is in the lead again? Holy smokes.
Ah, that's the best part. With the polls on the surface showing a Ford lead ... but deeper data showing Smitherman would prevail ... the scary headlines will get anti-Ford people to the polls in record numbers.

I think Rob Ford will win big also provided that Pantalone stays in the race. This is based not so much on gut feeling but by simply observing the comment sections of online news sites like the Star, CBC, Globe etc. where support for Rob Ford seems to be at least 80%. I know these observations are not scientific but the passion for Rob is undeniable. We know that there has been a huge surge in advance polling which I suspect are from all the passionate Rob Ford supporters getting out early. I can't imagine that Dalton McGuinty's former right-hand man is driving voters to advance polls in record numbers.

I think the latest polls showing a tightening in the race were quite possibly rigged by the powerful forces supporting Smitherman. They are trying to manipulate the vote by presenting Smitherman as the only one with a chance to beat Ford, i.e. using bogus polls as a way of getting Pantalone to drop out of the race.

I doubt those comment sections are representative. It's the same half dozen people posting over and over (eg "Marilyn" and "uncle cool" etc). I'm almost positive some of them are 905ers, and I kind of wonder if there are anonymous accounts voting in blocks for the "agree/disagree" segment.

If you watch the behaviour of the agree/disagree section - yesterday on the grants "smell test article" on the star, someone posted a comment: "Rob Ford for mayor" or something like that. I checked around midnight, it was 7 "disagree" to 2 "agree". Then an hour later it's 9 disagrees but about 15 "agrees" have appeared. Now it's almost even again (25:21 now).

It sounds kind of paranoid, but I've been watching the behaviour and that exact pattern keeps happening. It trickles up to be noticeably anti-ford, then a whole bunch of pro-ford votes happen, then the anti-fords trickle and catch up again.

Given the obnoxiously rabid/borderline obsessive supporters he has, I don't doubt that there is a block of people with multiple accounts skewing the comments section to make Ford look bigger than he is. I don't know if they'd be affiliated with Ford or not, or if they're affiliated with each other, or if it's just one very angry person with a whole lot of time on their hands, but it's far from a representative sample.

(Vs of course, the tragically apathetic Smitherman supporters who are only really voting for him strategically, or the defeated Pants supporters).

Last edited:
Ah, that's the best part. With the polls on the surface showing a Ford lead ... but deeper data showing Smitherman would prevail ... the scary headlines will get anti-Ford people to the polls in record numbers.

Which poll are you referring to now? last I saw, even on the 'surface' the poll had Ford & Smitherman 41% and 40%. There's no real lead there.

Which poll are you referring to now? last I saw, even on the 'surface' the poll had Ford & Smitherman 41% and 40%. There's no real lead there.

If the under 40s get out to vote the results will be substantially different than polls suggest.

In Calgary a poll taken a month ago suggested
McIver ("Dr No", their version of Rob Ford) : 43
Newscaster Barb Higgins 28
Progressive businessman Nenshi 8

A week ago all three were tied with Dr No having a small lead on Nenshi. (33-30,)

The results tabulated last night? Nenshi won with 39%.
McIver got 32, and Higgins got 24.

Polls should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Apparently Calgary (where my sister lives) just elected this enlightened individual as their mayor yesterday. Now, if Toronto elects Rob Ford the world must surely be turning on its head!

[video=youtube;qNAMH2_CLfo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNAMH2_CLfo[/video]

Last edited:
here's an article from the National Post from a few days before the Calgary election:

Dan Arnold: Dear Toronto, Calgary wants its personality back
Dan Arnold October 14, 2010 – 9:28 am

nenshi.jpg

Calgary mayoral hopeful Naheed Nenshi

Dear Calgary,

You used to be cool. You were the conservative rebel without a cause. You welcomed George Bush and Sarah Palin with open arms. You could always be counted on for a good pro-Iraq war rally. Ann Coulter called you “the good Canadiansâ€.

The man who embodied this Calgary image was Ralph Klein. He was your mayor in the 80s. By voting for Ralph in 1993, you saved Alberta from a Liberal government. You stood by your man even after the drunken visits to homeless shelters, after the plagiarism, after he heckled the AISH recipients. The rest of the country laughed at Ralph, but you didn’t care. Because, like Ralph, you were too cool to care.

This all led to a good-natured rivalry with Toronto. In 2004, Scott Reid famously said “Alberta can blow me†during the election campaign. A decade earlier, you’d pasted “Let the Eastern Bastards Freeze in the Dark†bumper stickers on your trucks. That was just the sort of relationship Calgary and Toronto have always had.
And you know what? The relationship worked. Calgarians hated the Toronto elites for their self-righteousness and their blind devotion to the Liberal Party, while the self righteous Toronto elites shook their heads and wondered what was wrong with those backwater Calgarians who would elect a donkey if you slapped a Tory logo on its behind.

But now, everything has gone topsy turvy. Here’s the Leger mayoral poll from yesterday’s Calgary Herald:

Nenshi has now rocketed to 30 per cent, tied with Higgins and just behind Ric McIver’s 33 per cent support, according to a Leger Marketing survey of 500 Calgarians conducted between Oct. 6 and 11.

Holy chinook?!? The “it†candidate in the Calgary election went to Harvard, ran a nonprofit, and blogs about the best ways to limit urban sprawl. Rosedale parents are going to have a hard time using that to turn their children against Calgary and scare them into voting Liberal.

Especially given what’s been going on in Toronto, where the front runner wants to limit immigration, says “oriental people work like dogs“, and has a record of dubious behaviour that would make Ralph Klein blush.

I mean, seriously. Take a look at these two pictures and tell me which one of these guys looks like he should be mayor of Toronto and which one looks like he should be mayor of Calgary:
fordnenshi.jpg

And it’s not just Naheed. The “conservative†candidate in Calgary’s mayoral election, Ric McIver, has staked out the conservative turf by…promising to raise taxes less than the other candidates. Hell, he’s been attacked by the NDP candidate in the race for wanting to spend too much on the airport tunnel. The guy isn’t exactly the president of Tea Party North.

The other front runner, Barb Higgins, is assumed to be progressive but, in fairness to her, that’s only because no one really knows what she stands for.

So Calgary, I’m writing you this letter as a friend. I feel someone has to let you know you’ve gone soft. Hell, you elected 5 Liberal MLAs in the last provincial election, more than “Redmontonâ€. Here’s an e-mail I got from a friend of mine in Calgary yesterday:

I for one, being a proud Western Canadian, welcome 4 years of insanity to the city of Toronto. I have always maintained that the real crazies in Canada live or reside in the city of Toronto, Mel Lastman proved that and may Mayor Ford continue that proud tradition.

All I know is that wack jobs like Lastman, Miller and Ford would never see the light of day in a sophisticated Canadian locale like Calgary, Alberta.

Is this how you want to be described Calgary? As “sophisticated“?

So I am begging you. To stop this insanity and preserve your reputation as Canada’s conservative bad boy, I am urging a massive “Rob Anders write in†campaign for mayor. You need to make this happen, simply to keep the natural order of the universe in balance.

Or else next thing you know they’ll be holding Pierre Trudeau parades down 17th Avenue and Stanley Cup parades down Yonge Street.

National Post

Read more: http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...d-toronto-switch-personalities/#ixzz12oc5RJal

stupid? how so? most of it is meant to be satirical... (that's a form of humour if you are not familiar with it!)

Last edited:
Just heard Pantalone on CBC Radio Morning declaring he would either spoil his ballot or refrain from voting if faced with a choice of only Ford or Smitherman. He says one is just as bad as the other. What an utter disgrace he has become. For a politician to actually promote staying at home as a possible option in an election is beyond the pale; after 30 years, does he not understand that politics is about making choices -- usually among a range of unpalatable options?
I think this has helped Smitherman a lot. Steve Munro for one has dropped his support for Pantalone because of it.

We'd need a huge gamechanger for that to happen. The polling shows a dead heat. But the undecided leans toward Smitherman. Half of Pantalone's support leans toward Smitherman. And polls have indicated that Smitherman supporters have a higher intent of actually voting than Ford supporters. Here's my forecast:
Smitherman 47
Ford 39
Pantalone 11
Other 3
I think Smitherman will pull a win, but I'm not as optimistic about those numbers as you. 1998 is still looming large in my head creating a night-mayor scenario I just can't shake.

I think Rob Ford will win big also provided that Pantalone stays in the race. This is based not so much on gut feeling but by simply observing the comment sections of online news sites like the Star, CBC, Globe etc. where support for Rob Ford seems to be at least 80%. I know these observations are not scientific but the passion for Rob is undeniable. We know that there has been a huge surge in advance polling which I suspect are from all the passionate Rob Ford supporters getting out early. I can't imagine that Dalton McGuinty's former right-hand man is driving voters to advance polls in record numbers. I think the latest polls showing a tightening in the race were quite possibly rigged by the powerful forces supporting Smitherman. They are trying to manipulate the vote by presenting Smitherman as the only one with a chance to beat Ford, i.e. using bogus polls as a way of getting Pantalone to drop out of the race.
Comment sections are always overwhelmingly conservative, just like talk radio. They tend to be even more conservative on sites that have a perceived progressive stance (CBC, Toronto Star, etc.) They are often the same 200 people if you pay close attention and in no way represent the way things actually are. I've been making calls for a month for the Smitherman campaign and there's clear, real momentum in all parts of the city and I think the polls are fairly accurate to be honest. And yes, Ford could easily take this thanks to Pantalone. Not because he hasn't dropped out, but because he's going down while trying to take George with him. My gut, for what it's worth, says Smitherman will win, but damn will it be close.

I said on UT a few weeks back that the ultimate scenario for Smitherman might actually be Ford leading by a bit on the final poll before election day. It's what will haunt people as they go into the voting booth and have them check Smitherman instead of Pantalone. It'll also get those than don't always vote (particularly young people) to vote as they simply don't want to live in a city with a Mayor Ford.

I'd also say last night's Calgary elections may sway a few votes too.

I'm predicting a Smitherman win. Not a landslide, but not super close either. Ford's support will come in a bit softer than expected all across the city.

If I'm wrong, I will change my custom user text on UrbanToronto to "Excited About a FRESH START for Toronto."

Back