News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.2K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 803     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 774     1 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I too would like to see a moderate (Liberal?). Miller too readily cozied up with the unions and doesn't really have any balls. At the same time I'm very much an anti-Conservative, so I'm not rooting for Minan-Wong. John Tory I think would be good cause he's not all that right wing.

Regardless, I hope it's a more interesting election than the previous...

Of course if you mean by "Shoved Down our Throats" you mean, we elected him then he gave out Transit City. Then we re-elected him by a landslide, then yeah, Transit City was "shoved down our throats".
Nice try. The last Toronto election was November 13, 2006. Transit City was announced on March 16, 2007, though no doubt it was conceived behind tightly locked doors well before November 2006.

It would have been great, and far more politically honest, if Transit City was announced before the election. Then we could have had an election (with a TC referendum perhaps?) where Toronto's transit future was the key issue instead of what we got -- phony outrage against a possible island bridge that few people cared about.

And to complete the circle, with municipal elections now every four years, they had more time to secure guarantees that TC will be realized. Gotta hand it to them, they had all their ducks in a row.

Last edited:
A vague concept about LRT was mentioned during the election. It was no where as defined as Pitfield's subway expansion plan. Miller got elected because of the bridge and the pledge to end corruption the first time around. The second time it was incumbency not Transit City. I am not a war on the car type but let's see how much support the suburbs have when he takes down the DVP-Gardiner link. Any smart opponent could make that a real election issue....alongs with the unions and the dramatically eacalating city payroll.

Miller's Transit Policy he ran under in the 2006 election:

Toronto: A Transit City

Mayor David Miller recognizes that the City alone can only accomplish so much to improve Toronto’s transit. The TTC was built through funding partnerships with other governments. It’s only by renewing and recommitting to these partnerships today that Toronto can have the transit system to serve and sustain its growing economy tomorrow.

Mayor David Miller will continue his role as the leading national advocate for a predictable, stable source of funding for transit through a National Transit Strategy.

Only if these new funds are secured can Mayor David Miller’s full Transit City vision be realized. Toronto must develop a comprehensive network of fast, reliable, dedicated transit routes that allow people to move effectively and efficiently all over the city.

Mayor Miller’s vision involves:

* Considering a dedicated transit corridor along Finch Avenue, including the hydro corridor. This will open a new dedicated transit route that connects North Etobicoke and North Scarborough to the subway.
* Establishing a west waterfront rapid transit that will connect western Etobicoke to Union Station.
* Extending and upgrading the Scarborough RT into Malvern and beyond.
* Building dedicated rapid transit along Eglinton that will connect the St. Clair streetcar right of way to the airport.
* Building a rapid transit connection that will connect the Sheppard subway to Scarborough Town Centre.
* Buying quiet, accessible, faster, higher-capacity light rail cars to replace Toronto’s aging streetcars.
* Improving capacity by 40% on the Yonge-University-Spadina subway through new trains and innovative signal management systems. This means that trains will be able to run more frequently and be less crowded.

It's not the complete Transit city as we know it, but many of the elements are there.

Frequent mention of 'rapid transit' is vague. That could mean LRT, BRT or a subway. Jane and Morningside aren't mentioned. Imagine if that money had been redeployed along with the funds towards 'connecting the Sheppard subway with Scarborough Town Centre' then we'd probably have a rapid transit that involved trains moving underground at a good speed from Bayview to STC. He veered considerably off course from this vision to the detriment of the city.

Aside from that I think you'd find that most people had heard little about his transit plans. He got elected cause of his posturing on the bridge and apparent municipal corruption.

Frequent mention of 'rapid transit' is vague.

Miller did make clear that by rapid transit he meant streetcars. The title The Star used for the announcement of the plan was: "Miller reveals transit plan; Favours streetcars over underground." I don't think anyone who followed the election should be surprised by Transit City. If anything I'm surprised at how close Transit City is to the campaign plans. Such plans are usually pretty far from what is implemented.

These issues weren't ignored either. Streetcars were a central issue during the campaign, as the St. Clair debate was one of the few flashpoints in a dull election. In the end both Miller and Mihevc won handily in Ward 21.

If anything I'm surprised at how close Transit City is to the campaign plans. Such plans are usually pretty far from what is implemented.

Except for the part of having other levels of government pay for it.

Someone working hard to secure her spot as the candidate of the right:

In an opening salvo to a potential mayor's race next year, Councillor Karen Stintz attacked Mayor David Miller over his leadership, saying city hall has been too focused on "bags, bottles and bicycles."

With the three-week civic workers strike as a backdrop, Stintz told about 150 people at an Economic Club of Canada luncheon that Miller hasn't gotten the city's financial house in order despite adding a whole slew of new taxes like the land transfer tax and vehicle tax.

"We need to treat Torontonians as adults and stop playing big brother," she said.

While she used the slogan, "I want a Toronto that works," she declined to say whether she was in or out of the 2010 race.

Newly elected Tory leader Tim Hudak was on hand to support Stintz, though he too declined to weigh in on whether she would be a better mayor than his former boss, John Tory, who is mulling a reprise of the 2003 race against Miller.

Hudak said he was a constituent and proud to have put a Stintz sign on his lawn. "There are a lot of good quality right of centre candidates who will be thinking about taking on the mayor's position," he said. "I think it's still some time before we see exactly what horses are in the race."

Also in the audience was Porter Airlines CEO Robert Deluce, long-time nemesis of Miller, over expanding service at the Toronto island airport.

Full story

Miller is incredibly vulnerable right now. However, an endorsement for Stintz from a former Harris cabinet minister and current PC leader could be the kiss of death. Anyone remember Miller's 2003 campaign attacks on Tory for his Harris connections?

Just speculating...but McGuinty could really make or break Miller. I wonder how satisfied he is with what's happened to Toronto's finances after the province download new revenue generating powers and has begun to pick up some more of Toronto's expenses. That was supposed to help balance the books. If Miller goes back next year, cap in hand, what McGuinty does will really determine Miller's fate in my opinion. If he is dissatisfied, he could say no to more funds and really force Miller to make some serious cuts causing a public backlash and most likely a union backlash as well. Or McGuinty could give the usual handout, and let Miller live to fight through another term.

Just speculating...but McGuinty could really make or break Miller. I wonder how satisfied he is with what's happened to Toronto's finances after the province download new revenue generating powers and has begun to pick up some more of Toronto's expenses. That was supposed to help balance the books. If Miller goes back next year, cap in hand, what McGuinty does will really determine Miller's fate in my opinion.

I was thinking this the other day regarding the union strike. What are McGuinty's real intentions in avoiding a provincial back-to-work order? The onus of the strike and its consequences will inevitably be directed at the mayor, regardless of McGuinty's stance on the issue. If McGuinty wants Miller to crash and burn, he is doing a heck of a job thus far, perhaps opening the field for a formidable Grit establishment candidate to test Miller in 2010.

Back