News   Jul 25, 2024
 209     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 756     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

So it looks like Tory is leaning towards staying out and I don't blame him. He's been burned too many times and another loss would be humiliating... specially considering that everybody thinks he'd be the frontrunner. There are a lot of variables that could quickly change and deliver a devastating loss to John Tory. Considering these, I'd now be surprised if he ran.

So it looks like Tory is leaning towards staying out and I don't blame him. He's been burned too many times and another loss would be humiliating... specially considering that everybody thinks he'd be the frontrunner. There are a lot of variables that could quickly change and deliver a devastating loss to John Tory. Considering these, I'd now be surprised if he ran.

Famous last words. He's not entering the Mayoral race cause Torontonians are still well aware of the faith-based schools fiasco, not to mention he's the chair of the Toronto City Summit Alliance whom proposes taxes, taxes, and more taxes on the automobile owner as a supposed solution to traffic congestion. Lol. He's becoming more left-wing by the nanosecond. Thanks but no thanks.

Famous last words. He's not entering the Mayoral race cause Torontonians are still well aware of the faith-based schools fiasco, not to mention he's the chair of the Toronto City Summit Alliance whom proposes taxes, taxes, and more taxes on the automobile owner as a supposed solution to traffic congestion. Lol. He's becoming more left-wing by the nanosecond. Thanks but no thanks.

I think Tory would be a great candidate. Tory and Smitherman would be fine by me. The rest are just meh.

^Although he actually reflects the majority in Toronto and certainly the GTA. Chances are the less time you've lived in Canada, the less tolerant you are towards that issue. I would bet that in a poll of 100,000 ppl, 70% would be against gay marriage.

Ford is not dead meat--he will win.

The Star doesn't matter.

As for Pantelone--I've never heard of the guy.

Ford is dead meat. Does he realize he's running for Mayor of Toronto and not some hick town in Texas?

http://thestar.blogs.com/thegoods/2010/08/ford-receives-endorsement-from-fundamentalist-pastor.html

HAH! I love it!! Digging his grave even deeper.

GraphicMatt: Good point! Iniitally I thought, who cares, gay marriage is (fortunately) beyond the mayor's jurisdiction. But you're right, as a representative of the city and the people of Toronto, this is hella scary!!

HAH! I love it!! Digging his grave even deeper.

GraphicMatt: Good point! Iniitally I thought, who cares, gay marriage is (fortunately) beyond the mayor's jurisdiction. But you're right, as a representative of the city and the people of Toronto, this is hella scary!!

As a gay man, I can't say that I'm that offended by what he's saying (don't most people support heterosexual marriage?), and I don't think this is political suicide for him. It's just more of his same nutjob stupidity. That guy he's stumping for is crazy.

However, UD is wrong - a majority of Canadians, 61% support gay marriage:

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/canada_more_open_to_same_sex_marriage_than_us_uk/

Since Toronto is habitually more liberal than the rest of Canada, that number is probably higher here. The Star matters - much more than the Globe or the Sun, which is perpetually on the brink of failing - since it remains the most widely-read newspaper in the country. UD tends to overstate the power of the suburbs, likely cause downtowners simply ignore the suburbs. But UD makes the mistake of ignoring the power of the urbanites and liberal-leaning immigrants.

Ford will likely do well in the election, but I increasingly have a feeling he won't win.

I'm very worried about this election. If all the right-wingers vote for Ford and the left leaners split their vote among a few candidates then he will probably win. I can't stand the thought of it so I really hope I'm wrong.

PS my wife has been living in Toronto for 5 years now but hasn't got her permanent residency passed through yet and is only on a work permit that she renews each year... is she allowed to vote for this election? I'm guessing not but it never hurts to ask around.

Last edited:
I'm very worried about this election. If all the right-wingers vote for Ford and the left leaners split their vote among a few candidates then he will probably win. I can't stand the thought of it so I really hope I'm wrong.

There aren't any left-wingers in this race aside from Pantalone! If anything, Rossi, Ford and Smitherman are fighting for the right and the left have no candidate. Unless this refers to Adam Vaughan:

http://twitter.com/Spacing/status/20322133172

Back