News   May 10, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

The Disney Stores are very successful now that they are back as part of the Walt Disney Co. (rather than Children's Place). The Square One store is (finally) being renovated. It will reopen as a new 'imagination park' store, which is sort of a Disney Store-Apple Store hybrid (lots of interaction, technology, etc.). Should be neat.

That store already closed, and re-opened a few years back. Already again they are renovating? Wow.

When is it opening and is it going to be the full forever xxi?
Also, is the yonge street location going to close?

I was at Square One today and noticed a whole rash of store closings: Nike appears to be gone, the Telus upstairs is gone, the Jacob Lingerie store which just opened up like last year is gone, Car Buffs I think it was called beside Athlete's World is gone, Starstruck is gone, The Disney Store is gone, and RW & Co. is closing at the end of the month. Some pet store also closed I think.

EDIT: Looking at Square One's website, where Telus was is now labelled as Koodo so it seems they're just changing the concept from Telus to Koodo.

EDIT 2: Looks like Ricki's is taking over the former Jacob Lingerie spot (Apr 2011; 3868 sq ft). Michael Kor's is taking over the old Ricki's & Tabi spot (Nov 2011; 2460 sq ft) Source: Oxford's leasing page: http://www.oxfordproperties.com/leasing/LoImages/rfp/29810_RFP.pdf

Car Buffs is moving to a location across from the Tim Horton's. Which pet shop closed? The one near the lower level entrance of Walmart is still open.

apparently an announcement is coming next week about yorkdale (dont know what but there is an announcement coming) according to the online help person on their website

Car Buffs is moving to a location across from the Tim Horton's. Which pet shop closed? The one near the lower level entrance of Walmart is still open.

There was another one apparently. I just read the sign that said the person decided to retire. It was on the other side. near Point Zero and BMO.

apparently an announcement is coming next week about yorkdale (dont know what but there is an announcement coming) according to the online help person on their website

Most likely the rumoured expansion plan. Not sure why they didn't make the announcement before starting the construction.

The entire lot around Scotiabank is closed off (as are parts of the decks, but that always seems to be the case). Parking is pretty bad. Not Boxing Day bad, but for a Saturday afternoon people were circling around a lot even on the decks which usually have a few scattered spots.

I wonder if there going to annouce new stores being added as well tomorrow, hopefully an expanded apple store?

Last edited:
I'd love to see a

Molton Brown (from England but available in New York)
Next (from England)
Top Shop/Man (from England but not in New York)
UNIQLO (from Japan but available in New York)

The Forever XXI at Yonge and Dundas no longer carries a men's section. I was told it would be replaced when the stores moves into the Toronto Eaton Centre. If XXI abandons Yonge and Dundas, we should be seeing some high profile real estate opening up. Any idea what could be moving into this location?

Stylexchange is indeed coming to the Eaton Centre - in the old Stonehouse space, below Zara.

theres barely any room for the stylexchange in the stonehouse space and is the new forever xxi going to have a mens section?

I'd love to see a

Molton Brown (from England but available in New York)
Next (from England)
Top Shop/Man (from England but not in New York)
UNIQLO (from Japan but available in New York)

Good news, there's now a Topshop/Topman in NY (SoHo). There's also a River Island in Vaughan Mills, but it didn't seem to carry as good a selection as those in the UK.

Back