News   Jun 21, 2024
 114     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 279     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 411     0 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Aeropostale to me has a younger demographic than American Eagle or A&F. I feel too old going in that store at 30, but I don't when I go in AE or A&F.

What's going on in the lowest level of the eaton centre (the area with the north food court)? All the non-food shops have either closed up or have move-out sales going on...
Are they going to expand the food court? Or are all the food shops set to close too? Maybe a bigger-box retailer is set to move onto that level?

im not sure whats going on but i think they should just fix up that food court and expand that whole floor to be one foodcourt and close the other one a floor up to expand and make more stores...

Urban Toronto babes,

I checked Cadillac Fairview's site and under development they say that the Eaton Centre is going to go through a renovation of common areas and food courts, so what you're seeing is all in regards to that. Unfortunately, it does not provide any actual details, renderings, etc. on this project (or at least not yet).

What's going on in the lowest level of the eaton centre (the area with the north food court)? All the non-food shops have either closed up or have move-out sales going on...
Are they going to expand the food court? Or are all the food shops set to close too? Maybe a bigger-box retailer is set to move onto that level?
It's part of Cadillac Fairview's multi-million-dollar rennovation of the Eaton Centre which includes both food courts.

eaton centre really does need a fix up and the lowest level is sooooo shitty they should just make that whole level the food court and take out the other food court...
the lower food court really looks like crap though and its not too busy most of the time

I rent office space in the Eaton Centre, and we were just informed of the specifics of their redevelopment project.

- Renovation and expansion of the North food court, which will be the main food area.
- Washroom expansion and renovation.
- Complete floor replacement.
- Hand rails replaced with glass and stainless steel.
- New retail lobby entrance at the 250 Yonge tower.
- Recladding of escalators (?) and elevators.
- New entrance doors
- Enhanced lighting
- Removal of ficus trees :-( but new "planting program"
- South food court will become a large Richtree restaurant
- A "light sculpture" will be suspended from the Galleria roof

The project is slated to start on July 1 and be finished in late 2012. Cost: $120 million.

More details in the coming weeks, apparently.

Hey Bayer,

Thanks a lot; it's awesome that they are doing this but it doesn't seem that they're expanding (only renovating)? Even if the food court is expanded (which is badly needed), how about the number of stores?

This may not be fully relevant but they need to expand Sherway Gardens as well - it's a nice upscale mall that can absolutely handle expansion.

I've contacted Cadillac Fairview several times (different people) but no one has gotten back to me regarding my questions.

Bayer, do you think you can ask someone at Cadillac about the expansion possibilities at the Eaton Centre and Sherway (sorry & thanks).

yea i dont know wth sherway is waiting for
they could expand so easily there missing so many stores
they have like no big box stores such as H&M, Zara and Forever 21 and not to mention anthropologie and urban outfitters

Even if the food court is expanded (which is badly needed), how about the number of stores?

There is nothing about that in the information I was given. If anything the number of stores might drop; many stores are closing on the lower level where the North food court is, and I suppose this is due to the food court expansion. But they said they would supply their detailed plans in the next month.

Also, I as have said before, the old City Grill location, which was a large restaurant with a patio next to the church of the Holy Trinity, is being gutted; all the windows have been replaced. Still no word as to what will occupy the space.

alright thx lol :p
so there getting rid of the south food court and just going to have one large north food court?

Back