News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

New TTC Subway Cars

Quote: Mark Dowling

I just can't see what the advantage is of building subway cars hundreds of kilometres from the nearest possible place that would use them. The greenhouse gases required to shift each one must be significant, especially as they can't just be hitched up to a loco and pulled to Toronto given that they are TTC gauge.

Actually, the subway cars are shipped by train. They are carried on flatcars. I have seen it.

I just can't see what the advantage is of building subway cars hundreds of kilometres from the nearest possible place that would use them. The greenhouse gases required to shift each one must be significant, especially as they can't just be hitched up to a loco and pulled to Toronto given that they are TTC gauge.

Umm, the alternative is shipping them from China. Anyway, shipping, even from China, is a very small part of the life-cycle greenhouse gas emissions from a product like this.

"Toronto Rocket???" OMG, how dumb.

Further proff that the TTC is as clueless as they come when marketing and creating excitement about the system. Also, I can't believe someone is going to win a prize for such a lacklustre name.

"Toronto Rocket" A Train With A New Name

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - Oct. 13, 2006) - From the Red Rocket to the T-1, the next generation of the TTC subway train will officially be known as the "Toronto Rocket". The TTC has ordered 234 new subway cars, with the first delivery scheduled to take place in 2009. To pick a new name, the TTC conducted a Name the New Subway Train Contest.More than 3,000 entries were received, featuring a wide variety of suggestions. Following a review by TTC staff, members of the Commission voted for their favourite choice.The first entry received suggesting the name Toronto Rocket was entered by Sue Alexander of Mississauga. As the official contest winner, she will receive a transferable TTC Metropass for a period of one year. She will also be invited to attend a special ceremony when the first new Toronto Rocket is delivered. Ten runner-up winners will each receive a transferable TTC Metropass for one month.

Terrible! What kind of name is that - no imagination at all.

Memories of Pizzazz Me! (retch!), the horrible "Oh Canada!" tax credit ads, the crummy pig mask ads, the annoying nagging woman who comes on the PA and reminds us not to charge the doors after the new automated announcement chime, the "TTC Stuff" booth, the "Our Employees are Superheroes" campaign because they took the brave effort of picking up their phones to call transit control, the "They're among us" ads for the new shitbox Orion VIIs, and so on, and so on.

I can't believe the lack of creativity at the TTC and the eagerness to adopt such mundane or shitty PR campaigns.

why name it anyways?
just call it a subway car by the model number.

I like the pig mask ad. It's makes its point clearly and concisely. Now, an ad addressing the loud mp3 playering please. I really don't want to listen to techno on the way to work.

Sounds like you can win just about any TTC naming contest just by putting in a suggestion for the "Rocket". Our good friend miketoronto won the name contest a few years back for the express bus route to the airport- the name, of course, is the "Airport Rocket".

By the way... has TTC announced the winner of the "Pizzazz" contest yet?

She just replaced "Red" with "Toronto". Very creative.

That's probably the lamest name they could've come up with.

They need to completely eliminate the people in charge of marketing decisions in this city.

Toronto Rocket? So unoriginal and uninspiring. I'm ashamed the woman who suggested this is from Mississauga. Really makes Mississauga seem bland by association. Although it was the commissioners fault for CHOOSING such a horrid name.

The TTC's efforts at marketing / public relations really are so laughably awful. Maybe if it changes for the better in a few years we'll become nostalgic for the bad old days.

You must know that the people who voted / suggested this name are the same people who so many years ago chose the name the Toronto Raptors (at the height of Jurassic Park hype of course) :lol

Kinda lame. I'm still stuck on "6-pack". The new trains will be 6 car lengths and metallic.

What sounds better?

1. "We can take the Toronto Rocket downtown"

2. "We can take the 6-pack downtown"

3. "We can take the subway downtown"

In time we make up our own nicknames like loonies and toonies.

I liked the name "veloCITY". "Tunnel Packer" would have been good too. :D

Back