News   Jul 23, 2024
 307     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 385     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 1.5K     3 

New Transit Funding Sources

What was irrational was Mississauga's fear that Toronto was going to somehow "steal" their LRT even when Metrolinx has said that Toronto won't be getting anymore than the $8 Billion.

Irrational? When the rest are forced to pony up one-third and carry any cost overruns, while Toronto gets boatloads of cash no questions asked, they have every right to be worried and "irrational". If you were a Mississauga councillor wouldn't you be worried?

The selfishness of Toronto is honestly pretty sad. Since Toronto gets its Eglinton LRT 100% funded by the province, then the Hurontario LRT should be 100% funded by the province too. Toronto should not get special treatment.

The selfishness of Toronto is honestly pretty sad. Since Toronto gets its Eglinton LRT 100% funded by the province, then the Hurontario LRT should be 100% funded by the province too. Toronto should not get special treatment.

You are just discovering Toronto and its people are selfish, they always want to pass the cost onto someone else.

Perhaps one of the issues is that, outside of the GTA, the 905 (including Mississauga) is considered part of "Toronto" and the optics of the province fully paying for two lines in "Toronto" are not that good.

What do you have against people in Scarborough? Do you want to put them through a horrible transfer and force them to put up with buses like second class citizens?

What do you have against people in Scarborough? Do you want to put them through a horrible transfer and force them to put up with buses like second class citizens?

It Scarborough the only place in the world where a transfer occurs? People transfer at St. George station all the time. Are they also second class citizens?

It Scarborough the only place in the world where a transfer occurs? People transfer at St. George station all the time. Are they also second class citizens?

besides there are plenty of areas of Toronto that are not even planned to get a LRT yet alone a SUBWAY. Everyone who lives on each of the LRT lines should be extremely thankful they are getting a LRT. Instead people are in fantasy world complaining why they aren't getting Subways. BTW I live on Eglinton so I will be getting a LRT and I am thankful. The argument can be made that well at least a part of Eglinton is underground and grade separated. But Scarborough residents cant use that logic because their entire SRT line will be grade separated. As a resident in the west I cant help but think scarborough is lucky to be getting two lines. Vs the western part of the city which will see its Eglinton line randomly stop at Weston and has seen the Finch line chopped and not making it to yonge. In the future when the DRL is built it will be even more favorable to eastern residents. But these people cant be made happy until they get a Subway. Be patient the DRL is coming and it will be a SUBWAY.

Last edited:
It's funny to hear Scarborough residents whine and complain about how they are second class citizens because of a subway..What about residents of Etobicoke particularly northern Etobiocoke like the Rexdale area who have even worse transit. I wonder how they feel.

People in Scarborough transfer to get onto the RT, then transfer to get on the subway, and then transfer again at St George. Along Sheppard its the same story. The problem is the City of Toronto is building billions of light rail as feeder lines instead of as trunk lines and that is simply just foolish. Light rail should be for trunk routes. Sheppard East LRT and Scarborough RT are merely feeder lines. Sheppard East LRT will be the only major east west route in Toronto without a connection to Yonge, for example.

But that is besides the point. This is about the province paying a greater % of the cost for new transit lines in Toronto than anywhere else in the province. Whatever dumb transit plan Toronto devises, it should pay its share instead of expecting the province to pay for everything.

Is that any worse than an hour long bus from Kipling and Finch to Kipling station, taking the subway to St. George and then transferring, so because of one extra transfer they are second class citizens? Going by this logic we should be building subways all the way up to Rexdale..

Is that any worse than an hour long bus from Kipling and Finch to Kipling station, taking the subway to St. George and then transferring, so because of one extra transfer they are second class citizens? Going by this logic we should be building subways all the way up to Rexdale..

I think they need a subway. Some would call it the i-METRO-EW or something like that. I would call it the Markham-Union-Brampton (maybe Pearson), GO REX or something like that. Basically all day Go with frequency service

Selfishness? I don't recall Toronto City Council ever requesting that the Hurontario LRT isn't 100% funded. Ontario offered to pay for 100% of Toronto transit projects and they accepted. What did you expect them to do? Not accept the money? If you have issue with it, take it up with Metrolinx since they (and not City of Toronto) were the ones who decided how money was allocated.

You are just discovering Toronto and its people are selfish, they always want to pass the cost onto someone else.

Yup. Only 80% of Torontonians approve of municipal tax increases to pay for their transit. Those Torontonians are so selfish. Always wanting someone else to pay the bill.

Last edited:

Back