News   Jun 26, 2024
 117     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

New Transit Funding Sources

Wow now all three parties have "we'll find the money with unspecified savings" plans

Not quite.....I think the tories have said that...I think the NDP have said they will make the rich and corporations pay....the Liberals have just said they won't raise taxes on the middle class but have not said they would cut other things nor have they said they will make the rich and corporations pay.

Damnit.. I'm guessing we will see a scaled down big move now.. Corporate rates along with the commercial parking tax is my guess.

I bet you they do something with corporate taxes....say that gas/hst/toll changes warrant further study....and give the NDP an excuse to prop them up again....in other words....nothing!

well lets see. Murray has been bragging about $34 billion in new funding on twitter recently so I doubt they are cutting back total spending.

Damnit.. I'm guessing we will see a scaled down big move now.. Corporate rates along with the commercial parking tax is my guess.

I really hate to say I told you so ;)

Well I think if the Liberals call an election and can get a majority, all these taxes they said they will not implement, they will go ahead and do it. Do people actually believe what they say? When the next elections comes along, transit projects will be underway, hopefully things get speeded up and people will forget the lies. Come on guys, with all the talk about transit, transit, transit and not just by people who use it, there is no way they can retreat from delivering transit

So....no plan for the $2B a year they said they needed to raise for this robust transportation plan?

$2B was for a minimal plan, already cut way back from what is actually necessary to get ahead of the curve.

This reduced amount will go further if they cut out the 25% for local transit concerns. Given the tepid support from local councils, it wouldn't be overly surprising.

Pretty much frothing at the mouth. This was the one thing that drastically separated them from the NDP. Should the budget not contain new funding for by ran sign which is sufficient I may be moving my vote somewhere else.

Its political pandering to rural ontario to shore up some support in key ridings I think.

Im startng to hope next council term whom ever is TO mayor brings forth some additional funding mechanism through provisions in city of Toronto act. Not ideal but could help if the province fails

What I care about most is the end dollar amount going into transit. How it gets there is semantics, although some are clearly better than others. As long as the total is still ~$2 billion/year, I'm good with it. I do sincerely hope this isn't scaled back though.

Kathleen Wynne is either very dumb or she is so smart and thinks the voters are very dumb.

Here is a quote from her announcement...it was supposed to answer the question if not those taxes/tools what will pay for the Big Move:

Ontario'sPremier said:
This isn’t the kind of decision you can make in a couple of weeks

Anyone know the date that the Golden Panel made it's recommendation on funding? How about the Metrolinx recommendation on funding? Are either of them within, either, the strict definition or the colloquial/off-the-cuff definition of "a couple of weeks"?

What I care about most is the end dollar amount going into transit. How it gets there is semantics, although some are clearly better than others. As long as the total is still ~$2 billion/year, I'm good with it. I do sincerely hope this isn't scaled back though.

Just to be clear....does that include simply tacking $2B a year to the provincial deficit?

Kathleen Wynne is either very dumb or she is so smart and thinks the voters are very dumb.

Here is a quote from her announcement...it was supposed to answer the question if not those taxes/tools what will pay for the Big Move:

Anyone know the date that the Golden Panel made it's recommendation on funding? How about the Metrolinx recommendation on funding? Are either of them within, either, the strict definition or the colloquial/off-the-cuff definition of "a couple of weeks"?

Couple of weeks probably refers to the Budget - which usually comes down in March, although last year they did it really late.

The problem is that when she says "you", she is referring to the NDP and not the population as a whole. I can only dream that she is thinking of pulling the plug on the government by herself so that the people can finally get rid of this incompetent government.

Couple of weeks probably refers to the Budget - which usually comes down in March, although last year they did it really late.

So we are to believe that since the various panels/bodies have made their recommendations she has had enough time to eliminate certain taxes (the ones with the biggest impact on raising the funds needed) but she is only starting the clock now on deciding what she is going to do instead?

Back