News   Jul 22, 2024
 267     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 544     0 

New MAJOR Muscial Production Coming to Toronto!

Re: Toronto welcomes musical 'Lord of the Rings'

Jenny may not have too many options among the Joes. Jenny may have no choice but to go, in exchange for dragging Joe to Pottery Barn the next day.

I see the Ent production number as more Martha Graham, less Busby Berkeley.

Terrible decision! You would think they would keep the show running during the summer months? At least we have the Blue Man Group opening in June...

Louroz

Why would they want to lose even more money?

^ It did attract tourists, though. A few months ago I had to give directions to 4 separate groups of non-English speaking tourists within five minutes, all of whom were late for the show because they couldn't navigate PATH.

I keep picturing the Stonehenge scene from Spinal Tap.

tap_stonehenge.jpg

Stonehenge

"It's not really all that impressive when Stonehenge is in danger of being crushed by a dwarf!"

andreapalladio, Shatner really said that? Holy shiznit! Btw, you're file doesn't exist.

It existed yesterday.

The dialogue comes from the classic SNL skit he did in the late '80s.

They wouldn't be closing it if it was making money, or if they had a large advance to see them through the summer. I'm sure they made money by the bucketfulls at one point, but profit margins in the theatre are pretty slim, so if there aren't enough bums in seats, the profits tend to disappear pretty fast.

This is all pretty grim for the Toronto theatre scene though, not the art theatre scene which is truly the interesting theatre here, but for the big showbusiness theatre. There will not be one single long standing show in this town. Well good taste notwithstanding, hopefully LOTR will be a smash hit that plays for years to packed houses. Maybe this'll spin off to more business for other shows. I don't have any evidence for this but it would seem to me that if the big mainstream houses are doing well there is more possibility for spin off to the smaller theatres which is always a good thing.

Back