News   May 30, 2024
 839     1 
News   May 30, 2024
 523     0 
News   May 30, 2024
 996     2 

New Freedom Tower design unveiled

But then, you might as well ditch the whole furshlugginer tower, too--nothing but a bland obelisk...

Does anyone know if these latest incarnations have retained or removed the plans for preserving the WTC's footprints? I only ever see renderings of the tower itself, not the rest of the site. I guess that would all but ensure the lost office space and other functions would stay lost, though.

Now I've never visited the site, but I should think that two massive square voids extending several stories below ground would have been a more powerful memorial or symbol than a 1776 foot spire...although I do agree that rebuilding is more in keeping with the American ethos. Perhaps, if this had happened in any city other than New York, with its minimal available real estate, the gaping voids would have been preserved.

Maybe they can put the statue of freedom that sits on top of the Capital building on it...

freedom_1.jpg

From the official US gov't web site:

What is the name of the statue on top of the dome?
It is the Statue of Freedom, an allegorical female figure. Detailed information about the statue and a photograph (28k) are also available.

OH WAIT A SECOND, this is actually a statue of Persephone, according to Greek mythology she is the goddess of the underworld. Strange.

Uh, how is that a statue of Persephone? There's stars and a sword but no throne, no wheat, etc.

Perhaps, if this had happened in any city other than New York, with its minimal available real estate, the gaping voids would have been preserved.

Actually, the demand simply isn't there at this point for additional office space in lower Manhattan. Silverstein's 7 WTC remains mostly unleased, while others have questioned the wisdom of PANY resistance towards putting a residential component on the site. Thus, the gaping voids remains. NYC might be the premier city on the face of the planet, but it isn't where miracles happen.

AoD

In any other city, I believe there would not have been any discussion about the merits of rebuilding at all...the footprint voids would have been kept.

scarberian:

The footprint voids for WTC 1 and 2 are both going to be kept in this case anyways as the memorial. I highly doubt that the entire site so close to the core in any city would have been left as is, simply due to economics. Thankfully, we don't necessarily have to put the latter to the test.

AoD

"The footprint voids for WTC 1 and 2 are both going to be kept in this case anyways as the memorial."

Well, that's what I was wondering...I didn't know if Freedom Tower was infringing on a WTC footprint.

Alvin: I thought NYC was in a space crunch and they couldn't build offices fast enough to meet demand. Where did you hear otherwise?

I don't like that one JoeyCuppa. It reminds me of a KKK costume!

unimaginative2: I was just about to write exactly the same thing!

The whole process seems to have been a strategy to manage public outrage rather than a real consultation. The owner wanted Childs all along and has marginalized Lebiskind right from the beginning, as the bland Childs corporate design emerges from the falling shards of the original design.

I have maintained that this site should remain undeveloped for another 10 years at least... but I realize the demands of finance dictate otherwise and was hoping at least New York would be able to make an expression of contemporary openness and urbanism that would be in stark contrast to the ideals of those who destroyed the towers on 9-11.

I have only seen two renderings of this tower but it does not seem to capture those ideals, however with further renderings perhaps it will improve.

Canuck:

Midtown is where the demand is - the vacancy rate in Lower Manhattan actually rose with the opening of 7 WTC.

AoD

There is certainly no pressure on office space downtown. They're going to have to throw massive incentives at tenants to get this building occupied.

So how much of the office space that was destroyed on 9/11 was superfluous? 5 million square feet? 10 million? Did the WTC et al tenants move into other downtown towers or did they find space elsewhere? I'm just wondering how many tenants are lined up and waiting to get into Freedom Tower or if it's mainly speculative at this point.

Uptown filled up, and Jersey filled up (and towers went up there too - there's now a skyline on the west bank of the Hudson).

It's not that WTC was superfluous, it's that not that many firms are rushing back to the scene of the crime against humanity, partly because of the memories, partly because they already had to find sign leases elsewhere. Downtown service buisnesses have suffered in the meantime, and many, restaurants etc., have closed (although it's not exactly a ghost town either).

Back