News   May 01, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 368     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 369     0 

New $20 bill

Who would you like to see on the Canadian $20 when it is eventually updated ?

• Keep Queen Elizabeth II

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • Pierre Trudeau

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • Other: (specify)

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters
I say either Trudeau or Pearson, and leave the Queen on it, even when she dies. She's been our Head of State for over 50 years, which seems worthy of some recognition.

As of now QE2 is the only woman featured on our bills. I'm no feminist, but I think we should try and get another chick in there to replace her when she's gone.

I'm having trouble thinking of suitable female candidates though. I blame my teachers (who were ironically mostly women :D). How 'bout we use the current Miss Canada, maybe a pic from the swimsuit portion of the competition?

Oddly enough, I hate quarters. Why? Because I see one with a new design that I don't have and I have to keep it!
I'd certainly appreciate it if the mint started producing unique designs on other coins. The nickel is a good candidate for that, because of it's size, as well as the loonie and toonie. But if they made loonies and toonies collector's items, I might be inclined to not use them either.

I'm the opposite in one way. I loved the 1992 provincial quarters (similar to the more recent multi-year state, district and territorial quarters of the US, of which I've been collecting). The 1999 and 2000 quarters are okay, but not anything special.

I've also liked the loonie and toonie special issues - the 1994 D-Day Loonie, the 1999 Nunavut Toonie, etc. The 2005 "V" nickel reissue was also classy.

The ones that bother me are all the Winter Olympics quarters (which are advertised), and the breast cancer quarter of two years ago. I don't like that particular one because if they do one for breast cancer (the current bandwagon disease to support, nothing against it otherwise), why not other major diseases? It was pinkwash.

The mint creates all these stupid quarters with the intention of having them out of circulation to help generate a profit.

Meanwhile, I'll finish trying to collect the US Mint territorial quarters, having already got all 50 states, DC and PR.

As for a new set of quarters, how about the Fathers of Confederation - starting with the first bunch but also including the later "fathers" - Louis Riel and Joey Smallwood among them.

The "Famous Five" - the only Canadian women on our currency - is on the back of the $20 (and like most of our famous men, were not perfect - racism and support of eugenics tainted some of those ladies). There are other women for sure that could be commemorated in a series of "nation builders."

Last edited:
I'm the opposite in one way. I loved the 1992 provincial quarters (similar to the more recent multi-year state, district and territorial quarters of the US, of which I've been collecting). The 1999 and 2000 quarters are okay, but not anything special.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the designs. I just hate looking turning over all the quarters I'm about to pay, making sure there aren't any I don't already have.

Maybe they could theme each piece of our coinage.

Pennies: Our natural environment
Nickels: Our industrial triumphs
Quarters: Our nation building
Loonies: Our special occasions
Toonies: The north

So the special editions of pennies could get the Rockies, the Newfoundland Coast, Hudson's Bay, etc. etc. etc. Nickels could get Confediration Bridge, the CN Tower, umm... the superstack?

Ok, maybe that'd be a bit weird but it seems like absolutely everything we get is on quarters, which are perhaps the most useful coin! :mad:

Back